PDA

View Full Version : Email Receipt

Tosh McCaber
22nd Jul 2008, 17:24
A question re email receipt. My wife and I share the same email address. My wife runs a Mac. When she opens her email via "Mail" on her Mac, incoming emails have already arrived in her system, even though "Mail" wasn't open.

My emails on my PC arrive via Outlook 2007. I have to press Send/Receive in order to pick up emails on opening the programme. Nothing comes in whilst the programme is closed down. Is there a way of being able to receive emails when the programme is closed, so that I can view them immediately I open Outlook?

Background Noise
22nd Jul 2008, 18:41
I don't think mail actually comes in while mail is closed - on the mac, when you apparently close mail it is still actually running and, if set for automatic checks, will check for new mail every whatever you set. Look at the mail icon in the dock - if there is a little triangle below the icon it is still running. New mail is signified by a little red circle with the number of new messages in it. It's more than minimised (which would put a miniature icon portraying a mail page in the dock) but it's still open. To quit completely you have to press Mail, quit mail.

You can set outlook to send/receive automatically too but I don't think you will get mail unless the program is running unless you are on an exchange server.

mixture
22nd Jul 2008, 19:17
I reckon her emails are so small that they arrive whilst she's distracted briefly by something else ? :p

As far as I know, mail does not run when completely closed. Are you sure she has not just closed the window rather than quit the program ?

Mornington Crescent
23rd Jul 2008, 08:59
Tosh,

Assuming XP.

Put a shortcut for Outlook in the start up folder.
C Documents and Settings\Tosh\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then right click the icon and in properties select run minimised.

Now when you start the PC the outlook icon will appear in the notification bar and it will be running all the time in the background.

You will get notifications of new mail.

The programme is not technically closed but it will do the job.

Sorry if this is obvious but I can take the flack!

MC

mixture
23rd Jul 2008, 10:12
Mornington Crescent,

I see you like doing things the hard way. :)

How about opening Outlook normally and then minimising it using the minimise button ?

Mornington Crescent
23rd Jul 2008, 10:45
Mixture,

Thanks for that. I knew there would be some flack:)

It's just nice to have your mail client open automatically and the only sign is an icon in the notification area with a tiny envelope when new mail is in.

MC

kenhughes
23rd Jul 2008, 12:47
Also, right-click on the Outlook (2003/2007 only) icon in the Systray and select 'Hide When Minimized' - that saves your task bar from getting cluttered.

Ken

Tosh McCaber
23rd Jul 2008, 15:13
Thanks all- I've gone with your suggestion, MC, looks good.

However I forgot to mention, even when Outlook is open, I still have to click on Send/ Receive, even though I have selected in Tools- Options- Mail Set-up- Send/Receive- in both Setting for All Group Accounts, and When Outlook is Offline, to schedule an automatic send/ receive every 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, I still have to manually press Send/ Receive to activate emails.

Any thoughts?

Mornington Crescent
23rd Jul 2008, 16:59
Tosh

In Outlook click File and see if Work offline if ticked. If it is then untick it (toggle).

In Options/mail set up there is a box send immediately when connected - That should be ticked.

In my own set up I have the first two boxes ticked under "Settings for group all accounts" and have not selected anything under "when outlook is offline"

For a neat job use kenhughes suggestion

Good luck

MC

Tosh McCaber
23rd Jul 2008, 17:42
Thanks very much for that- Work Offline was not ticked. I'll see how things progress now.

Mornington Crescent
23rd Jul 2008, 18:21
Tosh

Another possibility.

Check:

Tools - Send/ Receive - Send/receive settings
There is an item in that menu to Disable Scheduled Send/receive

If that is ticked - untick it.

MC

Tosh McCaber
24th Jul 2008, 09:44
Thanks- it was ticked- just unticked it. (Still wasn't receiving stuff automatically). We'll see how things progress today.

Tosh McCaber
24th Jul 2008, 10:28
We're in business- Thanks MC!