PDA

View Full Version : Air Atlantique no more DC-3?

tembo01
21st Jul 2008, 18:16
I heard that they are closing down the DC-3 flights. In an air mag it is explained by insurance and other costs running away. I was quite surprised and disapointed, the JU Air business is doing a roaring trade on the continent , every appearance and it is booked solid. Maybe the swiss authorities are more tolerant? I may miss the finer points of running a business of classic flights, but what make some succeed and others fail when demand looks far bigger than offer ?

treadigraph
21st Jul 2008, 18:32
Tembo, it's down to EASA requiring various expensive (and unnecessary:E) mods to the DC-3s to comply with safety regulations for aircraft of that size. Switzerland is (I presume) not affected by EASA.

I have heard a rumour that modified legislation that exempts some historic aircraft may be in the offing and will clear the way for Classic Flight to continue DC-3 pax ops - anyone know more?

What about the Dutch and other European DC-3s and the Lufthansa Ju-52 - are they managing to keep going with PAX flights? There were two Dutch DC-3s and a Norwegian one at Legends.

Selfloading
21st Jul 2008, 19:10
Interesting, just had a look and found out that Lufthansa are restoring a Connie to airworthy condition and intend to operate passenger carrying flights as per the Ju52, fantastic :}

tembo01
21st Jul 2008, 19:23
Can airplane be granted political asylum in a country where EASA doesn't apply?:cool: And then by a strange coincidence appear over airshows during the season? :ok:

Phileas Fogg
22nd Jul 2008, 00:33
Saw, what I believed to be, the KLM DC2 low flying over Amsterdam city centre last weekend, nothing seemed to be preventing that from flying

captain_flynn
22nd Jul 2008, 01:22
Its a real shame Air Atlantique cant fly passengers on the DC-3 now. I was lucky enough to fly on G-AMPY back in April. Will Air Atlantique still use the DC-3's for other operations or have their days with Air Atlantique come to an end?

skippyscage
22nd Jul 2008, 04:22
a short photographic news item on the last flight

a sad day indeed (http://www.fencecheck.com/news/DC-3_Passenger_Flights_End_in_the_UK/)

stevef
22nd Jul 2008, 05:39
G-AMPY and G-AMRA will be used for air displays, film work and parachuting so they'll still be around.

Davidsoffice
22nd Jul 2008, 09:04
Isn't one of the issues the number of passengers the aircraft is certified for? The JU52 and presumably the DC2 come in under the cut off.
Interesting to see what happens in future though particularly with the Connie!
David

Blacksheep
22nd Jul 2008, 10:45
Ironic isn't it, that what is demonstrably one of the world's most airworthy types of all time is to be grounded in Europe by EASA airworthiness regulations. :rolleyes:

I'm off to partake of an illegal substance.

(An English banger, also banned in Europe...)

Bigt
22nd Jul 2008, 15:36
I thought the main issue was the reinforcement of the cockpit doors to prevent access from the cabin post 9/11, etc

captain_flynn
22nd Jul 2008, 15:40
stevef
Many thanks for the information. Im glad they will still be used! :ok::ok:

fauteuil volant
22nd Jul 2008, 20:57
English bangers. Banned in Europe. What planet are you on? You can get them in my local Super U. It keeps some of the 'yearning for the UK' ex-pats happy. But who in their right frame of mind would buy a British factory produced banger when he could buy a decent Saucisse de Toulouse. Now that's a proper pork sausage. I mean one with almost entirely meat content rather than bread and goodness knows what else in it! However I do concede that a decent local British butcher's pork sausage could hold its own against one. But whilst the French (and, I suspect, other European countries) make such first rate sausages, trying to sell the local British butcher's banger in Europe would rather like selling coals to Newcastle!

Blacksheep
23rd Jul 2008, 04:02
What you say about continental sausages may be true, but please do remember the British have sustained ourselves for centuries on warm beer and English bangers. I spent some of the happiest days of my life eating NAAFI issue bangers and mash.

The DC3 is also not a patch on the A320 but it has a certain character about it that cannot be replaced by mere excellence. Like the good old banger, its a Classical piece of history, something we grew up with that defines who and what we are.

Porrohman
25th Jul 2008, 00:37
Interesting, just had a look and found out that Lufthansa are restoring a Connie to airworthy condition and intend to operate passenger carrying flights as per the Ju52, fantastic :}

The Lufthansa restoration project is Starliner registration N7316C; more details here: 2007 Connie News (http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-2007_connie_update.htm)

Stationair8
27th Jul 2008, 04:31
Another fine job done by the EU in Brussels, to save us from being exposed to those deadly radial engines as joy riding passengers!

What next can they do, I know ban all British right hand drive cars and make the citizens of the UK by left hand drive cars and drive on the correct side of the road.

Perhaps they could ban steam train rides as well!!

Britain and the allies won the last war, but the EU will win this war!

Fareastdriver
27th Jul 2008, 19:22
What next can they do, I know ban all British right hand drive cars and make the citizens of the UK by left hand drive cars and drive on the correct side of the road.

They couldn't do that. The Irish would block it.

His dudeness
27th Jul 2008, 19:37
"Another fine job done by the EU in Brussels, to save us from being exposed to those deadly radial engines as joy riding passengers!"

So the CAA is no more? Hard to believe, after all most of the bollocks in JAROPS and now EUOPS comes from the CAA... and then there is always the possibility of granting special permissions, why the CAA does not do so is beyond me. But of course, thats the continents fault....