PDA

View Full Version : The Failing Aviator

Op_Twenty
21st Jul 2008, 15:48
Guys, when we all did a flight safety course many moons ago we were shown a film called 'The Failing Aviator'. It was a lecture by a USAF Flight Surgeon to a graduating class of US pilots and talked about how to spot, early, a guy who's having trouble on the ground before he takes it into the air. It was a fascinating film but the quality was poor as I believe it was VHS. I am desperately trying to find a copy of this and have trawled US Navy and USAF sights but to no avail. The guys at, then, Bentley Priory said they would dig it out for me but probably got carried away with the base closure. Anyone got a copy or know where one might be lurking? Or even if it had a different title that I might search under? Thanks.

Guys - I know this is brought up every couple of years, just read the last threads on it - the last being 2006 I see, but I'm just hoping somebody's managed to grab a copy by now!

Tiger_mate
21st Jul 2008, 15:53
DASC or whoever they are nowadays have it on DVD. The quality is deadfull although the content is outstanding. We could do a lot worse then have someone repeat the script for a modern version.

Op_Twenty
21st Jul 2008, 15:55
Just hard to get it from DASC - they seem reluctant to release it - as previous threads had stated. Thought you had a copy Tiger?

PPRuNeUser0139
21st Jul 2008, 16:11
Was this the film where one of the signs of someone who was stressed was that they went out and bought a yellow Porsche..?
This should be put on You Tube..
sv

I should be OK with my BSA M20 and sidecar combination then..!

Op_Twenty
21st Jul 2008, 16:22
Think that was a different one! This is a lecture given by a very knowledgeable flight surgeon. My father has a BSA M20 incidentally...(Desert Rats)

Pontius Navigator
21st Jul 2008, 16:31
Op Twenty, you could try an FOI request. Their get out of jail card however would be either copyright or public domain. In which case you could ask a supplementary, ie where did they get the DVD from?

Of course if they copied it from VHS they are in breach of copyright.

A bit of creative questioning and you should get something from them.

Op_Twenty
21st Jul 2008, 17:28
Now that is interesting - I hadn't thought of that! Will do, let's stir it up a little.

GreenKnight121
22nd Jul 2008, 00:32
Of course if they copied it from VHS they are in breach of copyright.

Unless they got permission to do so from the USAF.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jul 2008, 06:21
GK, true, but would you lay odds that they did?

I wouldn't, not least because it means work and compliance, the first a staff officer tries to avoid and the second because it means the same.

OCCWMF
22nd Jul 2008, 08:31
DASC is now DARS at Northolt. If you get a copy Let us know - would like one too. He does mention the porsche!

OKOC
22nd Jul 2008, 10:18
I think the reason why it is so hard to get a copy of this is because the US gov't withdrew all the copies it could lay its hands on as TFA is soooo un-pc. Try showing it to a mixed audience in UK today and I'll bet the facilitor is in front of the staish within the day.

OCCWMF
22nd Jul 2008, 15:01
I shall take that challenge - get me a copy.....

av8boy
22nd Jul 2008, 21:42
The page at the link, below, seems to imply that that video makes up a portion of the "Flying Authorizers Course (FLAC) - R002" course. And I quote,

The Failing Aviator video: Covers the social reasons why aviators may have their performance in the air dangerously degraded, how to spot them and deal with those effected.

Royal Air Force International Defence Training (http://www.idtraf.mod.uk/590_R002.html)

On another subject, I'd be surprised if copyright would be a problem. On something like this the US Government seldom has copyright protection.

Dave