PDA

View Full Version : BT CD - broken windows

andymac
3rd Aug 2001, 23:18
Hi, a non-pprune friend has tried installing something from a BT disc - here is his post -

Could a PC expert please advise me how to release my PC which has frozen
after trying to load the BT disc for their setup. It has frozen on"THIS
PROGRAMME HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL BE SHUT DOWN"All i can
do is switch off.
He is still able to use internet functions though.

Some other person has investigated + says only solution is to reinstall windows (losing much of his info???).
Have suggested booting up using reboot/rescue/backup disks or hitting esc when booting up to try + get m/c to enter safe mode - other suggestions please.

Please respond via forum, or his e-mail addy is..
[email protected]

Very many thanks, Andy Mac.

:confused:

WhiteSail
4th Aug 2001, 02:11
Which Windows operating system are you referring to?

tony draper
4th Aug 2001, 02:55
Reloading windows over the top can sometimes cure a problem, but it saves your existing reg setting and stuff like thatso you may boot up with the same problem
Some of those cd's supplied by ISP's are bastards, they bury themselves deep and are a bitch to uninstal, I had to format my disk to get shot of freeserve, and I think I still have bt click free on my machine somewhere.
The trouble with booting into safe mode is I don't think you have a cd rom drive, so you may have to boot from a dos rescue disk to to run the windows setup.
Had a similar prob with a friends machine a while back tried every thing I knew,which aint a lot,and finished up formating his hard disk and doing a clean windows instal
It was a pentium 60mgz believe it or not, that instal seemed to take forever.
good luck,

HandyAndy
4th Aug 2001, 06:19
They say it is impossible to access cd-rom while in safe mode. That's almost true. On some systems, if you depress the CTRL key to access ther Startup menu right before the pc begins booting to Windows, select 'Command Prompt Only', type "win /d:m" (without quotes) and then press enter, Windows should (read might!) start in safe mode with the cd drivers. If that fails (and it may well do as it is by design) you may be able to get past safe mode using the msconfig utility. This can be run from safe mode and it allows you to turn on which files are loaded and which are not.

Try this article from the Microsoft Knowledgebase and see if it helps.

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q192/9/26.asp?FR=0

All the above assumes you have Windows as an OS.

Best!
HA

andymac
5th Aug 2001, 00:05
Thanks everybody, I'll pass those on to him.
He runs Win98 AFAIK.
Cheers, Andy Mac.