Katters
21st Jul 2008, 11:28
Is there any truth in the rumour af SAA getting B777???:rolleyes:

aintboeingaintgoing
21st Jul 2008, 11:34
Back to BOEING.....HOPEFULLY!! Where did you get this news from?:ok:

Ibhayi
21st Jul 2008, 11:37
A sh:ugh:t, here we go again. Round and round we go, where it stops nobody knows. They have simplified their long haul fleet to all Airbus, why don't they search the market for Airbus aircraft, I hear numerous carriers are ready to dump their A345 and some even their 346s.

It costs money to be fully equipped, but then I suppose in a way they are as they do the maintenance for the foreign carriers, but then it comes down to pilot and crew training, new simulators. I am sure as well that order more Airbus parts in bulk is cheaper than a split order for parts among two manufacturers.

asianeagle
21st Jul 2008, 11:55
No 777's, in fact they have decided to send all the aircraft to China to have them converted to E20 minibus taxis for the JNB-Soweto run. Will make more money that way! :ok:

Then again, that shouldn't be too difficult then should it? :}

Jamex
21st Jul 2008, 11:56
The cost of re-equiping with B777's and training cockpit and cabin crew with the aircraft they should have taken in the first place will put them far back into the red. Another taxpayer bail-out should take care of that though and then SAA can make money with a real aircraft for a change. The only loser again will be the taxpayer. BOHICA (Bend Over Here It Comes Again)

ALPHA FLOOR
21st Jul 2008, 14:06
Standby for more Boeing vs Airbus willy stretching!

AFL

Toppled AH
21st Jul 2008, 16:25
Good one Asianeagle......so true.......management then will get an ever bigger bonus just like Zuma did with the military arms deal........some goverment different a/c.......

WhinerLiner
21st Jul 2008, 16:58
Will make more money that way!

Why would SAA spend time considering such a ridiculous concept. That's for the little people.

Jamex
23rd Jul 2008, 07:41
The problem as I see it with this Boeing vs Airbus bulldust at SAA is, the previous government bought Boeing so this goverment will buy Airbus. Thats it, pure and simple! No proper, coherent thought nor planning went into the decision and, in case somebody at SAA actually did do planning and made recomendations, well you wasted your time Boet/s! The decision was made with the above consideration only. Political posturing aside, I dont know why a mix of Airbus and Boeing products cannot be used as Emirates and Virgin manage to do. Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not match horses for courses? The beleagured taxpayer is just chomping at the bit to give SAA what they want, so why not at least have the decency to make proper use of our generosity? Now its popcorn time again I suppose.:}

divinehover
23rd Jul 2008, 08:52
Take over of the TAAG B777's is been considered.

Ibhayi
23rd Jul 2008, 11:10
I dont know why a mix of Airbus and Boeing products cannot be used as Emirates and Virgin manage to do.

Look at the size of their fleets and destinations. Emirates is also very political, they need to keep balancing the books like in China to spread the orders evenly as they want to be on the good side of both parties. Didn't etihad recently order like 45 Boeing and 55 Airbus? I am sure they could wrangle a better deal for 110 aircraft from a single manufacturer but politics is a big thing.

To have 3 777 and the training required, SAA won't buy a SIM, they will have to start sending crews to Europe or the US for training etc, it will be a very costly exercise. If they were order 10-20 wide bodies then sure it is viable to consider both options.

Flyer14
23rd Jul 2008, 18:35
It makes logistic sense to buy from one manufacturer for a comparatively small airline like SAA.

Spoories may be the biggest n S.A. but in terms of size it's nowhere near the likes of Emirates...........

theBOSS
23rd Jul 2008, 19:26
eeeh, i dont thin they will go back to BOIENG,i believe the emaricans doesnt give shuch a good Kickback like the people that eat frog legs

JTrain
25th Jul 2008, 06:03
Would they ever get rid of their A319s for 737-700s. Or does that make too much sense to happen :-)

jt

Jockofthebushveld
25th Jul 2008, 19:06
Emirates has most of the time the best jet for the route, Before the 777-200lrs came we could only do sydney direct with the 345s, and also NYC with 345s before the 773ers came.No EK wants to dump the 345s as they are not effecient enought only 250pax or so.
The 380 has lost of seats for places we have limited slots , but again we are waiting for the 747800s
These guys plan ahead , they are political but also well orginised and the aircraft is the best one for that route it flies..

Sticky Fingers
25th Jul 2008, 22:09
This whole thread is pretty old news.

One thing that would surprise me is if they bought 777's and not 330's if they specifically want long-haul twins. Ok the Boeing is bloody nice but correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 330 more fuel efficient?

jumbo1
26th Jul 2008, 13:02
As I understand it the A330 is a 270 seater but the 777 -300ER takes 385 in 3 class or 434 in 2 class. A330 might be slightly more fuel efficient but carries a lot less pax and cargo
330 boys pse correct me if my pax figures are wrong. No error intended
:ok:

Cpt. Underpants
26th Jul 2008, 13:14
CX has the 330-300 configured for 311 in 2 class or 265 in 3 class. The CX 777-300ER is configured as 301 in 3 classes....and CX are not generous with their pitch.

Aspen20
26th Jul 2008, 14:24
At the last management feedback, the 3 long haul planes they were planning for are not coming. They can't find B737-800 for the short haul