View Full Version : Tricks, Tips and Suggestions from the Experienced.

Ixixly
21st Jul 2008, 10:36
Hi there all,

Was reading recently through the thread on the PA31 down in Mt Isa and some of the discussion, ranting and bickering going on in the thread by those who are probably experience in the area and it got me thinking a bit. In the next few months i'm hoping to be looking for my first job as a pilot in Aviation and obviously i'll come out armed with CPL Theory and having passed the CPL Flight Test with a good school and whatever tricks and tips i can pick up along the way but lets face it, some of those tricks and tips and such that are left to be learnt always have the possibility of being learnt all too late!!

Now i'm not looking for people to dob themselves in or get themselves in trouble or anything like that and i REALLY want to avoid arguments and bickering that goes along with it sometimes, but i'm really hoping to start a thread (possibly a sticky?) of stories from those who have experience from situations they've narrowly escape or situations that have tought them something valuable that they feel should be passed onto those of us up and coming into Aviation!!

Whether these are tips they have credibly gained from others (Not looking for stories of mates of mates who may or may not have flown his old C150 inverted from Brisbane to Sydney) or things they have experienced themselves or gotten caught up in. They can be specifically related to a particular aircraft, aerodrome, operator etc... or just related to aviation in general and life associated with it. Hell even if you just happen to know of a great way of cooking a burger on the carby it could be appreciated by someone!!

I thank all those who choose to contribute in advance and i certainly look forward to reading up and hopefully learning a thing or two that could save my life or just make me laugh!! :ok:

Fantome
21st Jul 2008, 10:48
Join the priesthood. Take orders. ("A glass of your strongest.")

Ixixly
21st Jul 2008, 10:51
Thank you Fantome, but i currently take orders to get by and pay for everything.... i'd much rather move on and up a bit from that!

And priesthood...well i figure theres that whole "Repent before you die to get in" thing so i'll just stick to that.

compressor stall
21st Jul 2008, 10:51
When you're belting around the outback VFR, never accept more than one of min fuel, bad weather or last light...

Yusef Danet
21st Jul 2008, 11:16
Know thy systems.

Especially fuel. Too many people have come to grief in situations where more complete knowledge of a relevant system could have saved the day.

Picture a light twin on a 1 hour sector with about the min required fuel, about 1 hour 40.

Mid flight the pilot realises that fuel quantity in one tank is reducing at twice the expected rate and the other is not. What's the problem? What may you be able to do? Happened at a previous operator.

cjam
21st Jul 2008, 11:56
Ixixly,

Re-read Compressor stalls post. Gold that is for someone starting out. And you'l find that after a few years thats all you'll do anyway, you subconsciously or consciously add up all the threats and if they can't be mitigated, or they're stacking up, you go home.

Horatio Leafblower
21st Jul 2008, 12:42
Happened this morning:

- private flight for an old mate... into Sydney (ie CASA may not have viewed it as PVT, more a dodgy CHTR)

- Severe turbulence Fcst

- Icing fcst abv freezing lvl.... which was 1000' below crz

When the battery was flat it was a blessed bloody relief to just call old mate and tell him "no go". He laughed :ok:

I was told in the first week of my first job "if there are 3 things against ya, don't go".

It is probably more superstition than science but it works :ooh:

Fuel is a perpetual obsession and after 15 years of commercial flying I just CANNOT relax when I know I have ONLY Flight Fuel + reserves, even for a 45 minute leg :ugh:

...which is only re-stating Comp Stall's post and I think even he would agree that it applies from Ulan Bataar to Casey Station and everywhere in between.

flyhardmo
21st Jul 2008, 12:49
Some good advice. Knowing your systems is very important. Talk to engineers and ask them how things work. You don't need to be a genius but it helps wen trying to explain snags. Just dont be an annoying know it all.

Don't exceed your limits eg: don't try and barrel roll a C210 if you've never done aerobatics. Not being cool is better than being dead.

Don't rush unless your on fire. If you have a problem that is system related other than engines and lots of fuel, Climb above the MSA and take your time. Use all available resources and that includes mobile phone, Pax to read checklists if your single pilot etc, ATC etc.

Don't run out of fuel := and if you are getting low on juice, land ASAP. Sure its embaressing but not as embaressing as knowingly running out fuel and pranging it. I've had to divert from faulty fuel guages even though I knew I had enough fuel when I started. You never know when a leak develops.

Be strict on yourself to follow the procedures. Single pilot ops with a checklist is not very practical but if you will have to develop a fool proof system of completing items otherwise one day you'll land with a very loud scraping sound as you forgot the gear.

Most things you'll learn on your own via the plucker factor. If you don't know what that means, next time you scare yourself silly, check out how big the hole is in the seat.

morno
21st Jul 2008, 12:58
Here's a couple.

ALWAYS know WHERE your fuel is coming from (ie. which tank), and where it's GOING (particuarly handy to think about when flying things like a C310 or a C402A/B where on the aux tanks fuel also feeds back to the mains).

ALWAYS do your CHECKS. I'll be the first to admit that I've been flying along and heard an engine go *Cough Cough* only to start doing the engine failure checklist to find I've got a wrong tank selected (comes back to the above). I did the engine failure checklist, it worked, so had I done all my other checks then I wouldn't have arrived at the engine failure checklist! If you're enjoying the scenery too much, you're obviously forgetting something. :ok:

NEVER accept something that you know or feel is a little beyond your own personal capability. You've been taught to fly, but don't expect you can do everything straight away. Your shiny new CPL is a licence to learn.

And finally....

There are plenty of people out there who have more experience than you, learn as much as you can from them (looks like you're off to a good start).

I have no doubt that I wouldn't be where I am today without the help of a lot of people with more experience than myself. Learning from them has been one of the joys of flying.

morno

Mr. Hat
21st Jul 2008, 13:09
Learn how to say no.

If your toes curl up whilst flying, you are getting yourself in trouble.

Believe "empty" on the fuel gauge, dont believe "full".

Develop a system for checking things on the exeterior before flying (pitot doors oil fuel caps ect).

Learn how to say no.

the wizard of auz
21st Jul 2008, 13:16
Learn from experiance huh?. best advice I can give you from my experiance is, Learn to drive a truck........ the money and conditions are usually far better than GA. :ok:

cjam
21st Jul 2008, 23:17
Never go down the ladder after taking the fuel cap off without putting it back on. ..even if it's just to grab the hose.

compressor stall
21st Jul 2008, 23:27
Horatio Leafblower :ok:

True, what you say, but last light is not generally a problem at Casey Station in summer! Unfortunately the bad weather is though :sad:

Ralph the Bong
21st Jul 2008, 23:28
Any amount of ice is dangerous. When you see rime starting to build, get out of there! Climb/descend/land/divert/whatever. Wings are designed to be clean. Keep them in a condition where they do their job, which is generating lift.

aileron_69
21st Jul 2008, 23:53
Get out and walk around the plane, even if you've just stopped in briefly somewhere to drop something off. Even if you are in a hurry, a 30 second walkaround isnt going to hurt. Theres nothing like taxiing out in a 206, putting the flaps down and realising the back door isnt latched properly and the flaps wont move to remind you of this. Of course if you dont notice until halfway down the runway and it wont fly then it wakes you up even more!!:E Then of course then theres fuel caps, oil caps, baggage lockers...the list is endless!!

HarleyD
22nd Jul 2008, 00:22
Try to Avoid Bad things.

Some potentially bad things:

Unfamiliar terrain/locations and no maps
Fog
Ice
CB's
Countries where they don't speak ingrish
No Comms
Portable Lighting
"private" nav aids
"unoficial" instrument approaches/shortcuts
Minimum fuel and not knowing exactly how much is in which tank and exactly how much you are using.
Clapped out old clunkers that every sprog on the block has been abusing (also applies to planes as well as...)
Cumulo Granitus
Homestead radio aerials
Employer pressure
Fellow pilot he-man pressure
Macho drinking games
Weights written on boxes so that you don't need to weigh them
Inadequate tie downs/restraints
Tropical rain depressions
Marginal airstrips
Density height - especially humidity which isn't on your P-Charts
Get home-itis
Unfamiliar aircraft - 'you'll be right mate, pick it up as you go along'
Fuel from re-cycled drums
A hot girlfriend who has no interest/understanding of your job
Head winds in cruise - tailwinds on T/O and Ldg
Too proud to ask advice - don't want people to think you're stupid
Empty pockets and maxed out cards
Living up to the previous pilot's (supposed) ability - short strips big loads etc

Night time is not inherently hazardous - black air has the same lift as clear air -but when mixed with some of the above can be less than enjoyable.

Aircraft and engine defects do not 'heal' with time, they must be correctly rectified, not just accomodated until you are used to them.

Life is not a video game, it is real reality, you can get very very dead very quickly when you start combining adverse factors, but you will probably have sufficient time to know why you are about to die and sufficient time to reflect regretfully that you didn't do something earlier that might just have broken the chain, you will be very sad in those final seconds and your family will be sad a lot longer.

"A superior pilot is one that uses their superior judgement to aviod the neccessity of using their superior skill"

Proper planning prevents piss poor performance

There are good pilots and there are lucky pilots and I'd rather be lucky than good.

HD

Mr. Hat
22nd Jul 2008, 00:48
Make sure you have loss of licence insurance.

I like the one about the ladder and fuel cap - that is a very good tip.

PLovett
22nd Jul 2008, 02:02
There are heaps of good advise here that can be summed up by:

Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

My advice is don't rush, especially on departures. Leave plenty of time to get it all done without rushing, take the time to walk around the aircraft once more after the pax are loaded. You will be surprised how often you find something that would have embarassed you if you hadn't found it.

I still do that final walk round checking things like nose lockers (they have been know to look closed but spring open after takeoff and pull an aircraft down), fuel caps (once left it to someone else and had to return to land after takeoff when fuel was seen streaming from the cap), oil caps (might have come loose on previous sector), pitot tube covers off (yes I have left them on once some years ago now).

Despite all the good advice you will undoubtedly make some mistakes, everyone does. Analyse and learn from them and don't make them again. Finally, never stop learning as that particular curve never stops until the day you walk away from your last flight.

an3_bolt
22nd Jul 2008, 02:07
When taking the "fellas" to a dry community - ask for the green cans. When they say that is all - ask again. You always get some more.

tsrp
22nd Jul 2008, 02:22
GAS IS YOUR FRIEND.

On every flight take as much fuel as possible. Its helped me several times when the WX changes unexpectedly.

tinpis
22nd Jul 2008, 02:35
Remember, OZ aviation is full of the most honest helpful altruistic people you will ever meet in a lifetime

pithblot
22nd Jul 2008, 05:36
NEVER call a flight nurse Candy Pants.

Jose Cuervo
22nd Jul 2008, 07:44
There is a definate fuel theme here and this should be the first priority of EVERY flight.

It has to be the first item on a long check list that is carefully considered and calculated, and then re checked, as it is the one factor that is absolute.

FUEL FUEL FUEL first priority!

tail wheel
22nd Jul 2008, 08:54
Always carry 10 minutes of fuel "for Mum".

Plan ahead - It's far better to be ten minutes ahead of your aircraft than ten minutes behind!

haughtney1
22nd Jul 2008, 09:03
Don't eat yellow snow......(rare in Oz I know)

Remember to iron the creases correctly in your shirt..nothing looks more unprofessional than train tracks on your sleeve.

Push forward..houses get bigger
Pull Back....houses get smaller..disappear..then get bigger again

Most important bit of advice given to me..."everyday is a learning day, when you stop learning, you stop aviating"

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Jul 2008, 09:35
Be good to your Mother!

Oh, and ignore that little voice in the back of your head.

You know! The one that says:

You can sneak through there!
Another 100' and you'll break out!
You can turn around if it looks too bad!
Ya got heaps of runway there!
It'll fly OK a bit overweight!
That fuel guage always reads low!
Its only light icing!
The last guy had no trouble with it!
She's not all that ugly!

Dr :8

aileron_69
22nd Jul 2008, 09:38
I like the Candy Pants comment :ok:

Clear to drop
22nd Jul 2008, 10:30
Someone once said to me:

You cant have too much fuel, unless you are on fire.

and

Air above you, runway behind you and fuel left in the bowser are all useless when the engine stops.

mustafagander
22nd Jul 2008, 10:45
My dear old dad always kept on at me with his basic flying motto:-

You need 3 things in flying, airspeed, altitude and ideas. You can get by with a temporary shortage of 1 for a little while, but be short of more than 1 and you're screwed.

cjam
22nd Jul 2008, 12:38
Mustafagander, yeah I like that one too, I heard it a bit different but it's still good.

" Airspeed, Altitude , Skill, at all times you must have at least two of these things"

....I rarely have the third one so I make sure I have the first two .

Captsumday
22nd Jul 2008, 13:05
Honour and obey these pesky little things - they can save your day if you pay attention to them.

Too often the green CPL ends up in tour jobs where the pressure is on to do things quickly and god forbid that you should scare your passengers by referring to a checklist!!!! " Doesn't s/he know how to fly this plane yet???" says one anxious tourist to another as they taxi along at Ayers or Kunners or Broome.

I got into a bad habit of trying to do all my checklists from memory - peer pressure, company pressure. Sure when you are close to the ground - after take-off and pre-landing type checks - the checklists must be operated from memory, but otherwise get the checklist out and use it in a challenge/response type mode, ie do everything from memory then use the cxlist afterwards as a cross check.

Avoid the trap of going through the checklist in a rote fashion - lookout for your brain going through the cxlist mnemonic, eg BUMFISCH (or whatever your version is), without anything being actioned!! Look at the accident investigator's database for unintentional wheels-up landings - lots of pilots have done 'gutsers' despite them possibly/probably having gone through their checklist but not actioning the items. :ouch:

Remember there are only 2 types of pilots. There are those who have landed with their wheels up, and there are those who are going to land with them up. Strive always to remain in the former group!!

Ixixly
22nd Jul 2008, 13:24
Well thanks to all who have replied so far, definitely a big fuel theme as has been pointed out and is definitely something i'll try and always keep in mind!!

Thanks pithblot...i'll definitely try to keep that one in mind!!

I'm also quite happy to see it has actually become a sticky! Hopefully we'll get a lot of useful advice put into here, perhaps people could try to keep in mind after they have a fudge up of their own!!

Thanks to all again and lets keep'em rolling in!!

P.s. Does anyone know a good way to cook a burger or some such on a carby? i wrote it as a joke but i'm actually interested to hear if anyones tried it yet!!!

kalavo
22nd Jul 2008, 13:25
Remember there are only 2 types of pilots. There are those who have landed with their wheels up, and there are those who are going to land with them up. Strive always to remain in the former group!!

Three types Captsumday...

* Those who've done a wheels up
* Those who are going to do a wheels up
* Those who follow the checklist

kalavo
22nd Jul 2008, 13:29
P.s. Does anyone know a good way to cook a burger or some such on a carby? i wrote it as a joke but i'm actually interested to hear if anyones tried it yet!!!

Surely human factors has taught you to eat healthy? Much less oil on your burger cooking with a turbine than a piston, no combustion products in the oil either.

morno
22nd Jul 2008, 20:07

Maybe not a burger, but a wise man once taught me the old trick of buying a sausage roll in the morning, then later on around the mail run (obviously works better on sunny days) stick that sucker up on the black dash to warm up. Give it about 20-30mins, and wallaa, you've got yourself a warm sausage roll, :ok:.

morno

werbil
22nd Jul 2008, 22:10
I'd go for three types of pilots:
Those who've done a wheels up
Those who are going to do a wheels up
Those who use the checklist correctly and religeously

Using a checklist (mental or written) without checking and challenging the actions WILL one day result in an undesired aircraft state - and if it's the gear it will be expensive.

Do not use a checklist as a to do list - develop a flow pattern to set everything up, and once that is done do your checklist. If you find you have to change something when doing the checklist it tells you that the flow setup has been done incorrectly - learn from it. IMO a good checklist only covers the killer items, however if you work for an operator USE the system that they provide.

PS I fit the first category thousands of times but I would hope so as I fly amphibious floatplanes! :ok: (One of the biggest errors we can make is wheels down on water - probable loss of aircraft and potential drownings. A wheels up on land only requires float repairs and a resume.)

Jet_A_Knight
23rd Jul 2008, 00:45
Get your ATPL subjects done - even if you think you're ages away from having the required hours.

bushy
23rd Jul 2008, 01:02
When you see a runway in front of you---check wheels. Always, no matter what you are flying. Make it a habit.

Habits will save you on the day the checklist fails.

UFLA
23rd Jul 2008, 02:36
Hey Bushy - It's the habit of the rabbit that keeps the turtle fertile.

Jet A - I did my old SCPL theory in early 1980. I am in the process of using them to get into an airline now. My SCPL was automatically changed into an ATPL in ?1998 when I got my perpetual licence and I have never even been asked if I did the new subjects or the old system of 4 subjects.

Have I opened a can of worms? :eek:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
23rd Jul 2008, 03:27
On your big day off.....drive down to local river, and......

Wrap your fillet of fresh caught barra in al-foil, parcel style, suitably garnished with salt, pepper, tomato and onion - optional.

Place carefully on 'inside' section of exhaust manifold of the trusty old 'XW' or whatever.

Drive for about 20 mins / 30 kms.

Stop for a 'nature break' - and turn al-foil parcel over.

Drive for another 20 mins / 30kms.

Pull up under suitable tree / by suitable shady spot, carefully retrieve parcel, taking care not to spill juices / contents.
Serve with freshly opened 'cold can' from esky and enjoy!

Its OK!!!:ok::ok:

300Series
23rd Jul 2008, 06:50
Someone much wiser than me once told me,

"Just remember when you're out bush at a remote base operating it single pilot, that the trees have eyes and the bushes have ears!"

Somehow i've found it to be true and that word spreads like wildfire.

Fantome
23rd Jul 2008, 07:53
- and if it's the gear it will be expensive.

. . . you don't say.

A wheels up on land only requires float repairs and a resume.)

. . . and a swift kick and on ya way

Bad medicine
23rd Jul 2008, 08:02
Pilot's Ten Commandments

1. Thou shalt abstain from the intersection takeoff for, verily, the runway behind thee, as the altitude above thee, cometh not to thine aid when thou needest them.
2. Thou shalt not linger on active runways lest thou become like unto ground sirloin.
3. Ignorest thou not thy checklists for many are the switches, handles, gauges and other demons awaiting to take cruel vengeance upon thee.
4. Thou shalt cast thine eyes to thy right and also to thy left as thou passeth through the firmament lest thy fellow pilots bring flowers to thy widow and comfort her in other ways.
5. Buzzeth not, for this shall surely incur the wrath of thy neighbours and the fury of the CASA shall be called down upon thy head.
6. Thou shalt be ever mindful of thy fuel lest there be nothing in thy tank to sustain thee upon the air and thy days be made short.
7. Trust not thine eyes to lead thee through the cloud lest the Archangel Gabriel await thee therein.
8. Thou shalt not trespass into the thunderstorm lest the tempest rend the wings from thy chariot and cast thee naked into the firmament.
9. Put not thy trust in weather prophets, for when the truth is not in, then they shall not accompany thee among thy ancestors.
10. Often shalt thou confirm thine airspeed on final lest the earth rise up and smite thee.

Fantome
23rd Jul 2008, 08:25
Bewdy Bad Medicine man. You're not quite word perfect, but we must pretend to sit upon the right hand and solemnly intone . .. "judge not, lest ye be . . .. "

(Where did you lift it from? That wise old bird mentioned at times in other threads, John Pugh, had it on his office wall years ago. It might have been composed by himself. He gave outstanding counsel in many areas, and there are some here who wait patiently for his published compendium of years and years going grey then white in the right seat.)

Bad medicine
23rd Jul 2008, 08:33
Can't actually remember where I got it from, but it has been around for years. I'm pretty sure iteven somewhere else on PPRuNe. There's another one for helicopters somewhere as well.:ok:

Fantome
23rd Jul 2008, 09:26
IF by Pauline Gower.

If you can find your way when all about you
Is misty, and the clouds are closing in on you;
If you can trust yourself when pilots doubt you,
To loop and do a three-point landing too;
If you can stall and not give way to spinning,
And when you come down do not make up lies;
If you are truthful right from the beginning,
And yet don't look too priggish or too wise.

If you can stunt and not make stunts your master,
If you can can land on points at which you've aimed;
If you can cheer up after a disaster
Although you may be hurt or even maimed;
If you can bear to hark to others bragging,
Though you may quite well know they're lying fools;
Or watch somebody in the hangar ragging,
And do not mind them losing all your tools;

If you can keep from useless demonstrations
To show how well you loop and roll and spin;
If you observe all rules and regulations
And never mind if others scoff and grin;
If you can read a map and fly by compass
With country you don't know on either hand;
If you are lost and do not make a rumpus
Or scare the people among whom you land;

If you are wise enough to not continue
When it is raining and the clouds are low,
But listen to the little voice within you
Which clearly warns, "T'is folly, do not go";
If you can safely take a plane each morning,
And test it knowing others count on you;
And if you never disregard a warning,
You'll be a pilot - and a good one too!

This parody was first published in England in 1936. It was picked up by Australian aero clubs and appeared in magazines such as Flying, the official organ of the Royal Aero Club of NSW. Pauline Gower during the Second World War commanded an Air Transport Auxiliary ferry pool at Hatfield and like all those able pilots, flew the lot. Spits, Lancs, Tigers and Typhoons.

One of her pilots was Ann Welch, whose book "Accidents Happen" should be read by every aspiring pilot and kept forever next to Len Morgan, EK Gann and a selection of those cautionary tales by sages of the air that all forever learning pilots need at times refer. And revere.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
24th Jul 2008, 01:20
* Never work for free, never undercut the guy before you, the AFAP awards are the line in the sand, the minimum wage,

* Always do a walk around before hopping in the aircraft,

* Always check the cockpit before leaving the aircraft, masters and mags OFF,

* Never fly over weight, especially for Pax or Freight,

* Know your aircraft, starter vibrator or implulse coupling ?,

* Always write up defects, whether your find the defect on the outbound or inbound leg is pure speculation.

* There is no substitute for experience, know this, constantly QC your actions, the NTSB published some data on the TT's that pilots most frequently stuff up, 5-700, 1500, 3000, 6000, 9000 etc etc, especially watch yourself around these windows of TT,

* As a charter pilots the job generally has to get done, perhaps it would be safer in an hour or two is something no pax will argue with, they will generally trust your judgement, when you say no outright is when they get their backs up.

* Try to obtain other skills that will help you find your first job, bus licence and senior first aid for example, and,

* Never get caught shagging the bosses wife and\or daughter:O.

Aerodynamisist
24th Jul 2008, 03:01
Learnt from an old ag pilot who had written off 6 aircraft.
If your going to crash - crash wings level !
Fly the aircraft as far into the crash as you can - never give up !

Fuel in the tanks and wheels hanging out when you land - it's been said many times in this thread, I like bushy's idea of "When you see a runway in front of you---check wheels" I'm gonna start using it.

Know your theory and your systems and if you want to get even better at flying do an instructor rating even if you never use it.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
24th Jul 2008, 08:32
Aero,

if you want to get even better at flying do an instructor rating even if you never use it.

Absolutely agree, did mine with about 1800TT, money well spent, get META if you can afford it.

the wizard of auz
24th Jul 2008, 13:35
Never ever let LHRT anywhere near your nana or her friends. He has no morals and will cheat on them all. :E

Capt Fathom
24th Jul 2008, 13:52
Someone gave me this years ago. Nothing has changed!

(More for two-crew ops, but the principles are the same)

The three basic things you can do wrong in an aeroplane:
Point in the wrong direction
Run out of fuel
Hit something, either on the ground or in flight.

If you do not understand something.....ASK. Do not bumble on.

If you only think you can.....You CAN’T!

If possible, make decisions and work off positive FACTS, not anticipations or assumptions.

If changes occur to the normal, or unusual things happen, THINK!
How will this effect the operation?
Be suspicious.
Do not trust anyone other than your crew or people qualified and capable of giving information.

When you have time, check the facts for yourself.

Do not be obsessed with one particular problem.
Look at the overall picture.
Detail the crew to deal with the trivia while you remain master of the situation.

If an emergency or a serious problem arises:
Fly the aircraft. Use the autopilot.
Establish safe flight and complete emergency/abnormal checklists.

Establish CONTROL.
Everyone wants to talk at once. Listen to their contributions' one at a time, absorb the information, weigh up the options and decide a course of action.

Do not deviate unless new options arise. Weigh up the whole situation again. NO SNAP DECISIONS.

Always ask yourself..."am I getting the best out of the aircraft. Can I do better?".

Never give up trying to improve your situation. You may be thankful at the other end.

Make sure you are familiar with all the routes and approaches at destination alternate. You may not have time when you get there.

Plan your arrival from top of descent to on blocks.
Look at ALL the approaches to ALL the runways. What would I do if the glidepath or LLZ fails? Is there a VOR or NDB approach to the runway. Know where the Holding patterns are and how to get in and out of them. Adjust errors when they occur. Near enough is NOT good enough.

Remember, the sector is not over until you are having your first beer.

Know all recall items. Understand all non-normal operations. They will come automatically and leave a few brain cells to cope with other things.

Don’t be nervous on checks, there are no hidden traps. The Check Pilot wants to pass you. Be safe and consistent and sensibly conservative in your performance.

Be kind and friendly to your crew, but establish that you will not tolerate slack behaviour or performance. If you get a dud, take them aside. They may have a problem. Tell them in a firm but kind manner what you expect. You will achieve more this way than yelling and abuse.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
24th Jul 2008, 14:38
Wiz,

In addition to what you've said, I also now have a nasty rash, thank your nanna for me will you..........Guess she got it from the donkey ?

Lodown
24th Jul 2008, 17:28
Always have a way out.

Never trust engineers. (They do a great job, but I've seen my fair share of screwdrivers left on the cylinders, nuts not torqued or split pinned, control cables crossed and panels left undone.)

Don't get a big head.

Don't work for free.

There is a life outside flying.

the wizard of auz
25th Jul 2008, 11:40
I told her not to borrow that Donkey from your mum, but she wouldn't listen. You better get your mum some of that cream your using mate. :D

Cap'n Arrr
25th Jul 2008, 15:21
ALWAYS be nice to the people who fix your aircraft, and if you're lucky, those who put fuel in it!

Having said that, ALWAYS check at least fuel, oil and hatch security for yourself, regardless of whether someone else says "It's all ok!"

SOPS
25th Jul 2008, 15:46
0nce you divert..keep diverting. Dont get sucked into going back again.

UNCTUOUS
25th Jul 2008, 16:14
Never fly along beneath a warm or occluded front if you're picking up rain-ice/flying through freezing rain. Flying along it or crossing it very obliquely can lead to sudden heavy accumulations of ice (i.e. weight) that can destroy wing and empennage profiles, cover wing and fuse upper surfaces with a heavy encrustation, create heavy drag - and is there to stay. When you're cruising at 160 knots and five minutes later find yourself at 80 knots decreasing, it's a very sobering experience (not that I wasn't sober at the time).

When you're doing extended hovering for any reason (winching, hoisting etc) don't hover with a light tailwind just to secure a good hover reference. ..... not in a turbine helo with the efflux above the tail-rotor drive shaft. When the overheated first hangar bearing lube-fails and pops out of its housing and the tail-rotor thrashes itself to pieces, the winchees will be in a world of hurt - and you'll be going down in a rotary fashion.

hoggsnortrupert
26th Jul 2008, 00:21
Five things that are always usefull:

Runway remaining infront of you!

The amount of sky beneath you!

Airspeed on the clock!

Fuel in the tanks!

Navigation is a lesson in past history!

(the only time I have too much fuel is?) when!

Chr's
H/Snort:}

cjam
26th Jul 2008, 02:15
You are handing the plane over to someone doing a short hop and they're landing weight limited?

What time is ECT?
27th Jul 2008, 08:59
http://www.rstengineering.com/rst/articles/aircraftoven.pdf

This article is quite a laugh. Maybe someone should start a cooking thread. Not quite a burger on the crankcase, but close enough.

ECT?

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Jul 2008, 10:28
(the only time I have too much fuel is?) when!

When ya on fire!

Dr :8

desmotronic
27th Jul 2008, 10:34
3 deg glide slope ROD in ft /min = approx 5 x groundspeed in knots.

sms777
27th Jul 2008, 11:06
Before you head out bush go to TAFE or similar and learn some basic mechanical skills. You have no idea how handy it will be when you find yourself with a rough running engine that only requires a new or clean spark plug fitted. Carry some tools and lots of rags.

Your boss will love you forever...

Lasiorhinus
27th Jul 2008, 11:53
Not quite a burger on the crankcase, but close enough.

Far, far better than a burger on the crankcase! That's gold... I might put that into practise.

Wonder where the hot spots are around a PT6? :}

Ixixly
27th Jul 2008, 12:30
bwahahaha! I'm so glad someone finally came to the table with this ingenious method of cooking! I'm sure it took a lot of spooning around for it but it was well worth it in the end and very well done!

Plenty of other good info here as well, lots to keep in mind and some of it has prompted me already to rethink the way i do some things so i thank you all!! I hope there are others getting as much help out of this as i am :D

cjam
27th Jul 2008, 22:50
"3 deg glide slope ROD in ft /min = approx 5 x groundspeed in knots." That is a good one for those starting out, I find that halving the ground speed and multiplying by ten is easier to do the maths on though, ie if ground speed is 160kts then I should be looking for 800ft/m. Ground speed is 120kts then VSI should be 600ft/min etc. Just depends on how your brain works I guess.

morno
28th Jul 2008, 02:38
Just don't use that 3x method in an unpressurised piston, :ok:.

If I was at 8,000ft and 24nm out in an unpressurised aircraft, I've seriously f@cked up my descent :{.

In a pressurised turbine however, now you're talking, :}.

morno

185skywagon
28th Jul 2008, 02:58
Always have a little Nose-up trim applied, if you are doing any low-level work, legal or otherwise. It can be a little tiring, but will keep you out of immediate trouble if you temporarily become distracted/incapacitated.

cjam
28th Jul 2008, 03:33
Skywagon, I imagine that you are more experienced with low level stuff than I am so not disagreeing with you as such, just wondering if that advice could be mis-used by inexperienced pilots. I talked to a kiwi top dresser friend with thirty years ag flying who doesn't like the idea.
If you're inexperienced and about to do low level stuff, get instruction from someone who's done it for a living.
(probably skywagon heh heh)

mates rates
28th Jul 2008, 05:08
The three most useless things in aviation.
THE RUNWAY BEHIND YOU.
THE AIR ABOVE YOU
THE FUEL YOU DIDN'T CARRY.

mates rates
28th Jul 2008, 05:13
Good advice for valley flying.We used it in PNG many years ago.
If you THINK you can don't.
If you KNOW you can have a look.
If your ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN go in,but make sure you can get out.

185skywagon
28th Jul 2008, 05:43
Cjam,
just advice for those that would do it anyway.

Bit like the collection of pilots who expressed a desire to fly below sea level during the 2000 Lake Eyre partial fill.
We advised them to have a look at the 210 parked up in the middle, from a safe height and then make their mind up about such a practice.
Do it in a Submarine.

Van Gough
28th Jul 2008, 06:40
On a max range type leg, figure out the min groundspeed required for your endurance so if the headwind picks up unexpectedly you know how slow you can go without using reserves or falling short of the destination:ok:

pw1340
28th Jul 2008, 09:46
Always have a little Nose-up trim applied, if you are doing any low-level work, legal or otherwise. It can be a little tiring, but will keep you out of immediate trouble if you temporarily become distracted/incapacitated.

185 Skywagon:ok:

cjam...

Each to there own, but that one has saved my bacon once or twice (especially true doing night low level ops) and I have witnessed it save others.:ooh:

ops.normal
29th Jul 2008, 02:17
It's a small world, so get to know guys you're working with or running into occasionally - don't be afraid to run up to someone when you're sitting around an airport and have a chat. It's how the best jobs get found :P

On the flip side, if you make a cock-up, just own it. It sucks, but stick your hand up and say "yup, sorry." If you try the sly cover or shift it, someone's mate's mate's boss will hear about it and that's the end.

Listen to the voice in the back of your head - you'll know when you're starting to feel uneasy about something, or sometimes you just get a bit of a bad gut feel (engine burgers aside) - don't ignore it, look for a problem.

Have fun :P

Jabawocky
29th Jul 2008, 06:33
If 185Skywagon gets above 1500AGL..... he gets lost! So I think he has sound advice.

And mate you home town weather was CR@P the other day......no wonder you were outta town. I dont think Pete was all that impressed with his extended holiday in Surat either!

Catcha soon!

J

Brian Abraham
29th Jul 2008, 06:36
From a military perspective (knuckle head to be precise, so not to be agreed with - necessarily). :p

1. As an aviator in flight you can do anything you want... As long as it's right... And we'll let you know if its right after you get down.

2. You can't fly forever without getting killed.

3. As a fighter pilot only two bad things can happen to you and one of them will:
a. One day you will walk out to the aircraft knowing that it is your last flight in a fighter.
b. One day you will walk out to the airplane not knowing that it is your last flight in a fighter.

4. Success is being able to walk to your Flight Evaluation Board.

5. There are Rules and there are Laws: The rules are made by men who think that they know better how to fly your airplane than you; and, the Laws (of Physics) were made by the Great One. You can, and sometimes should, suspend the rules but you can never suspend the Laws.

6. More about Rules:
a. The rules are a good place to hide if you don't have a better idea and the talent to execute it.
b. If you deviate from a rule, it must be a flawless performance, e.g., if you fly under a bridge, don't hit the bridge!

7. The fighter pilot is the highest form of life on earth.

8. The ideal fighter pilot is the perfect blend of discipline and aggressiveness.

9. About check rides:
a. Having someone climb into your fighter to grade how you fly is just like having someone come into your bedroom to grade how you perform.
b. The only real objective of a check ride is to complete it and get the *#%@&* out of your airplane.
c. It has never occurred to any flight examiner that the examinee could care less what the examiner's opinion of his flying ability really is.

10. The medical profession is the natural enemy of the aviation community.

11. The job of the Wing Commander is to worry incessantly that his career depends solely on the abilities of his aviators to fly their airplanes without mishap and that their only minuscule contribution to the effort is to bet their lives on it.

12. 'Ever notice that the only experts who decree that the age of the pilot is over are people who have never flown anything? Also, in spite of the intensity of their feelings that the pilot's day is over, I know of no such expert who has volunteered to be a passenger in a non-piloted aircraft.

13. It is absolutely imperative that the fighter pilot be unpredictable; rebelliousness is very predictable. In the end, conforming almost all the time is the best way to be unpredictable.

14. He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool.

15. If you're gonna fly low, do not fly slow!

16. It is solely the pilot's responsibility to never let any other thing touch his aircraft.

17. If you can learn how to fly as a Lt. and not forget how to fly by the time you're a LTC, you will have lived a happy life.

18. About night flying:
a. Remember that the airplane doesn't know that it's dark.
b. On a clear, moonless night, never fly between the tanker's lights.
c. There are certain aircraft sounds that can only be heard at night.
d. If you're going to night fly, it might as well be in the weather so you can double your exposure to both hazards.
e. Night formation is really an endless series of near misses in equilibrium with each other.
f. You would have to pay a lot of money at a lot of amusement parks and perhaps add a few drugs, to get the same blend of psychedelic sensations as a single night weather flight on the wing.
19. One of the most important skills to develop is the skill to ignore those things that were designed by non-pilots to get the pilot's attention.
20. At the end of the day, the controllers, ops supervisors, maintenance guys, weather guessers, and birds; they're all trying to kill you and your job is to not let them!

21. The concept of "controlling" airspace with radar is just a form of FAA sarcasm directed at fighter pilots to see if they're gullible enough to swallow it. To put it another way, when is the last time the FAA ever shot anyone down?

22. Remember that the radio is only an electronic suggestion box for the pilot. Sometimes the only way to clear up a problem is to turn it off.

23. It is a tacit, yet profound admission of the pre-eminence of flying in the hierarchy of the human spirit, that those who seek to control aviators via threats always threaten to take one's wings and not one's life.

24. Remember when flying low and inverted the rudder still works the same way but hopefully your IP never taught you "Pull stick Back, Plane go Up."

25. Mastering the prohibited maneuvers in the dash-10 is one of the best forms of aviation life insurance you can get.

26. A tactic done twice becomes a procedure. (Refer to unpredictability discussion above)

27. The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight planned for that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits.

28. One of the beautiful things about a single piloted aircraft is the quality of the social experience.

29. If a mother has the slightest suspicion that her infant might grow up to be a pilot, she had better teach him to put things back where he got them.

30. The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish.

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will always be." Leonardo da Vinci

steelcraft
30th Jul 2008, 04:25
Get your ATPL subjects first.
A mentor once told me if you are ever on your way to work and crewing calls and tellls you to go home as the flight has been cancelled.

Always call the miss's that you are on your way home. As if you dont you might just find your mate in bed with her!!!

SystemsAreGo
30th Jul 2008, 10:37
Good idea to take a cell phone.

If you have a comms/electrics failure it is good to make a call to the tower or FIS before relying on nordo overhead rejoins and transponder codes.

Also handy if you put it in a paddock and you need to call the required folk :}

Fantome
30th Jul 2008, 10:39
Always call the missus that you are on your way home. As if you don't you might just find your mate in bed with her!!!

. . .. . .and miss an opportunity to learn the truth? Give that mentor the bum's rush. And get your hand off it.

Home to bed. Into mum. Lots of love, Roger.

Fantome
26th Aug 2008, 09:46
ACST (http://www.acst.com.au/pic75.htm) - the aforementioned
gentleman, John Pugh, on the right, with Ron Flakoski, an ACST Victa exponent, taken last year. While too modest to claim authorship, JP probably wrote this rendering of the Pilot's Ten Commandments.

1. Thou shalt abstain from the intersection takeoff for, verily, the runway behind thee, as the altitude above thee, cometh not to thine aid when thou needest them.
2. Thou shalt not linger on active runways lest thou become like unto ground sirloin.
3. Ignorest thou not thy checklists for many are the switches, handles, gauges and other demons awaiting to take cruel vengeance upon thee.
4. Thou shalt cast thine eyes to thy right and also to thy left as thou passeth through the firmament lest thy fellow pilots bring flowers to thy widow and comfort her in other ways.
5. Buzzeth not, for this shall surely incur the wrath of thy neighbours and the fury of the CASA shall be called down upon thy head.
6. Thou shalt be ever mindful of thy fuel lest there be nothing in thy tank to sustain thee upon the air and thy days be made short.
7. Trust not thine eyes to lead thee through the cloud lest the Archangel Gabriel await thee therein.
8. Thou shalt not trespass into the thunderstorm lest the tempest rend the wings from thy chariot and cast thee naked into the firmament.
9. Put not thy trust in weather prophets, for when the truth is not in them they shall not accompany thee among thy ancestors.
10. Often shalt thou confirm thine airspeed on final lest the earth rise up and smite thee.