PDA

View Full Version : Geoffstar closes AD base

cunninglinguist
21st Jul 2008, 04:21
Anybody care to comment ?
Heard Jetstar closed AD, CC coming off flight handed redundancy package.
Most unusual it's not on PPRUNE already :confused:
Meanwhile Tigger hiring and opening new routes, what's in the water over there :rolleyes:

Mr. Hat
21st Jul 2008, 05:33
Meanwhile Tigger hiring and opening new routes, what's in the water over there

I guess the boss at Singapore isn't interested in using the increased cost of fuel as a reason to restructure the company or scare people into thinking that the sky is falling.

Its such a well orchestrated stunt. Retiring aircraft that were going to retire anyway, cutting routes that they wanted to cut anyway but couldn't because the public would have cried fowl. Moving flying across to J*. Slowing J* recruitment which was slowing anyway due to the 78 delay.

And conveniently ebas being negotiated at the same time.

aulglarse
21st Jul 2008, 10:36
You forgot Mr Hat that no staff at ADL had any idea about their fate until it was in the media.:=:=

Angle of Attack
21st Jul 2008, 11:15
cunninglinguist

I am pretty sure it was in the announcement with the QF Staff cuts, they announced the closure of AD base then. As aulglarse alluded the first notification was by media release. :ugh:

flyer_18-737
21st Jul 2008, 22:43
I know of a FO based for J* in ADL, and that person has already applied for Tiger in MEL.

Basically "Qantas fired its staff, now Tiger hires them"

toolish
21st Jul 2008, 22:47
Flyer
that kind of narrowed down who you are talking about

flyer_18-737
21st Jul 2008, 23:08
Whoops, hopefully there is more than 1, lol

Mr. Hat
22nd Jul 2008, 00:45
are they actually laying pilots off from the ad base?

apacau
22nd Jul 2008, 00:58
The one benefit (for pax that is) is that the ADL-AVV flight becomes ADL-MEL... Methinks Jetstar/Qantas are getting spooked by Tiger's success on that route, soon to 3x daily.

flyer_18-737
22nd Jul 2008, 03:00
Yes, all Pilots and Gone, but can be transferered to the new Perth base (Who would want to go to perth:})

Skystar320
22nd Jul 2008, 03:05
Yes, all Pilots and Gone, but can be transferered to the new Perth base (Who would want to go to perth)

Its alot better than Sydney and Adelaide!

Tester Call 121.5
22nd Jul 2008, 03:23
My heart goes out to those who have lost their job and lifestyle, particularly the F/As. Most down to earth no nonsense lot there is, so many sources have and keep telling me.
Chin up and I am sure better opportunities await them.

newsensation
22nd Jul 2008, 04:29
Geoff does not like Adelaide first he closed the Qantaslink base then the J* base.. those dam engineers wanting too much oh and the price of fuel... the sky is falling look out below... mean while back at the ranch its Bonus time....

flyer_18-737
22nd Jul 2008, 05:15
When I fly Avalon-Sydney, I always choose the 6.45 departure from Sydney because it was operated by the Adelaide crew, and they were just so nice and friendly. They actually did care about us...not like some certain MEL based crew:oh:

ACMS
22nd Jul 2008, 08:09
I know a Dragonair Management Checky that left to Join J* on an ADL base 3 months ago as a direct entry Training/Check Captain.

So what happens to him then?

I new he was doing the wrong thing:(

strobes_on
22nd Jul 2008, 10:42
So what happens to him then?

I guess he moves to Sydney or Perth.

sfde
22nd Jul 2008, 10:46
Good luck any crews thinking of relocating to Perth. Make sure theres a good resettlement in it. This place is now ridiculously expensive even with the slight slow down on house prices its still more expensive than Sydney. And don't get me started on the price of beer over here.

oneday_soon
22nd Jul 2008, 11:14
I don't understand, where is the cost saving in closing down the Adl base?

flyer_18-737
22nd Jul 2008, 11:34
Well they already slashed ADL-MCY and ADL-somewhere and I guess there just wasn't enough potential there, but there is pleny for QF, but not JQ. Just wait till TT comes and opens up a base down there....

ADL-PER needs better competition

neville_nobody
22nd Jul 2008, 13:18
And here in lies the issue of paying for ratings..... You fork out $30 000 only to lose your job!!

mootyman
22nd Jul 2008, 13:45
Well the big Q put the final nail in the coffin for the people in adl two years ago and announced EASTERNS, then they were gone, the crew thought themselves lucky and ended up in the new project JET*. Now that game is over. Very unluckly after this load of crap, could not imagine anyone who has had to endure this, staying in the industry for too much longer. Chin up guys:ok::ok:

Captain Sherm
22nd Jul 2008, 21:02
Did any pilots actually get fired? In order of seniority was it?

Base closures have been a part of life since .....a long time. When I joined my first airline many moons back it had bases in MEL, SYD and BNE. IT had a Tasmaniain Queen Air operation and Otters in Mackay. It had a big PNG operation and lots of contracts for things like MTAMS and Aerial Surveys.

But month by month, year by year that all changed. It happens.

Muff Hunter
22nd Jul 2008, 23:27
No pilot has lost their job, and for anyone to say this, obviously they are stirring the pot....

They will all be offered relocation to either syd, per or have to bid into a another base around the network.

The aspect that does worry me though is, knowing the rutheless nature of the pricks who run this company, will the crews from adl have their moving costs paid...time will tell!

Icarus2001
23rd Jul 2008, 02:34
Would be fair to assume that any relocation would be IAW their AWA - EBA etc.

So what does that document say on the subject?

max autobrakes
24th Jul 2008, 05:57
Where you transfer from one base to another on a permanent basis upon our written direction we will develop a transfer package considering your specific requirements using the following parameters as a guide:
- The moving of your personal effects, household goods and furniture,
- the moving of 1 (one) car owned by you or your spouse, defacto partner and/or children;
- storage of your goods and furniture where required for a period of up to 30 days;
- removal and storage insurance for the goods noted above for a period of up to 30 days;
- Penalties associated with the early termination of a residential rental lease;
- Airfares for you and your immediate family;
- Reasonable accommodation and meals for you and your spouse, defacto partner and or children where you elect to drive your vehicle (in your own time) to the new location for a reasonable period of time taking into account the distance to be travelled;
- A maximum of 2 days motel accomodation at your old location and 14 days at your new location. you will recieve at least 4 days free of duty at your new location during this 14 day period.

hongkongfooey
28th Jul 2008, 06:45
Max, that covers the renting situation, what if you have to sell ?
Agents fees, stamp duty etc adds up to 10s of thousands of dollars.
I guess there will be no compensation either for those who have bought recently and will effectively loose money buy selling too soon, not to mention moving to a far more expensive city in PH or SY.
Sounds like a pretty sucky deal :rolleyes:

max autobrakes
28th Jul 2008, 06:55
That's the way of the future, so I'm told!:uhoh: