PDA

View Full Version : Joint Hours building? Unheard of?

Sole
20th Jul 2008, 15:21
Ok so, having researched all options im currently completing my NPPL, and by this time next year (maybe a little later) ill be ready to start my hours building, of which i will need 150 hours PIC of a type, to become an instructor at such time as i wish to train.

My question is that, at the hours building school i wish to complete my hours building at (NCB -A) allows you to have more than the one person in with you while building your hours.
So, is there any reason, why i could not pair with another wannabe pilot for 8 - 10 weeks... and take turns in piloting and co piloting.... so that we both gain 300 hours overall time, toward unfreezing our ATPL's, but also that 150 hours (or 100 or 50 in some cases) PIC, which for me enables better chances of employment (maybe) and also more hours. But more importantly double the hours, same price?)

I havnt seen this going on... and im sure someone will point out something that is soo apprent, ive looked over the fact...?

All the best
Sole

flightlevel1985
20th Jul 2008, 17:42
Well, unless your friend has an instructor rating, Im pretty sure that you can only log the hours spent as PIC. This is because light aircraft are generally single pilot operations.

preduk
20th Jul 2008, 17:59
Can I ask why you are hour building with an NPPL? You need your full PPL and the 150hours plus a few other things to go onto the CPL course.

A and C
20th Jul 2008, 18:01
You could always put someone in the back sitting sideways to get some Flight Engineer time and save some more money!

Capt Loop
20th Jul 2008, 18:06
Only 1 person can log PIC time, the other pilot/passenger can only watch and put nothing in thier logbook......

I am an instructor and even on a 2 year check flight I cant log PIC unless the pilot I am assessing and I agree how the time will be logged, ie I am giving him some instruction.

You and your friend could do 300 hrs together and agree how you will log it. Each doing 150 hrs each PIC. the other 150 is just air time and counts for nothing in terms of logbook.

Also good luck if you think you can be a good instructor after JUST 150 hrs experience......

Sole
20th Jul 2008, 18:22
Im currently completing my Microlight licence, which is an NPPL i belive or, a PPL (M) rating, i plan to do hours building in a year, or a year and a bit... by which time i hope to have converted my licence (and flown alot of time) on a Full SEP PPL.

Can i not the log the hours as a passenger? as overall flight time? or does all of the ATPL hours, that count towards the overall ATPL have to be PIC?

I realise im not going to be the best instructor in the world, but im ganna try my hardest to be better than the average instructor. Id hope that having the range of experience as i do, on microlights, paragliders and alike, expereincing all diffrent techniques for instructing... would help me to be that better person. I love to teach, and im not, like some others doing it 'for money and hours' although these are an obvious benifits.

I think that my attitude towards flying, will help me to push myself to where i want to be, both confidently expressing my ways to a learner and also to myself.

I thank you all for your comments, youve helped greatly.

Best regards
Sole

Megaton
20th Jul 2008, 18:28
You can "log" the hours as passenger but only for your own personal interest. They will not count towards any licence or hours requirements

preduk
20th Jul 2008, 18:38
I have a friend who is doing the NPPL on microlights and I believe you need to convert it to the PPL. He said it was around 21hours you need to do to convert it to the full PPL (I may be wrong).

I don't think your attitude will help you at all, you cannot start off doubting your skills as instructor before you get there. What you should be aiming for is to become the best instructor in the world :ok::}

Best of luck!

Sole
20th Jul 2008, 19:00
Im currently completing my Microlight licence, which is an NPPL i belive or, a PPL (M) rating, i plan to do hours building in a year, or a year and a bit... by which time i hope to have converted my licence (and flown alot of time) on a Full SEP PPL.

Thanks for the confirmation Preduk

Didnt know i couldnt log passenger time :/ as you can with an microlight. Back to the drawing board :D

Sole

BEagle
21st Jul 2008, 07:07
The only credit you receive for Microlight flight time is 10% of PIC time up to a maximum of 10 hours towards a JAR-FCL PPL. And that only applies to 3-axis Microlights. It is relatively simple to add a SSEA Class Rating to a NPPL opened with a Microlight Class Rating; however, to convert a NPPL to a JAR-FCL PPL(A) will still require the completion of additional flight training time as described in LASORS 2008.

There is no credit for Microlight flight time towards a JAR-FCL CPL.

I recommend that you download and study LASORS 2008 before making any definite plans.

BigGrecian
21st Jul 2008, 13:59
I am an instructor and even on a 2 year check flight I cant log PIC

Ugggh, You should be logging it as instruction given. Check LASORS - the 2 year check flight, as you call it, is required to be logged by the person taking it as DUAL, so therefore you should be logging it as PIC.

potkettleblack
21st Jul 2008, 14:47
Sole - you need to go onto the CAA website and download yourself a copy of LASORS and print it out. In that document you will find information about logging hours, the requirements for each of the ratings and licences you are about to embark on and how to "unfreeze" your ATPL. A bit of research now will save you a world of pain later on when some seemingly helpful FTO promises you the world and screws you over big time.

WIKI44
21st Jul 2008, 17:07
Go buy yourself a brand new logbook and a few pens, and then just start filling it out. You can really go nuts with your new logbook. You can be as creative as you want. One day you could be flying a 747 from Hong Kong to London, and the next day the Concorde from Paris to New York. The possibilities are endless.

Beats getting any real flying experience, for sure:ok:.

Capt Loop
21st Jul 2008, 19:09
Its DUAL if as an instructor you DONT sign off the logbook and give instruction during the flight because the pilot is not up to an acceptable level to be signed off.

Lasor states "where the aim has been achieved, the FI then signs off the logbook"

If its NOT achieved ie a pilot has few problems then you mark it as dual and it is P1 for the pilot when as an instructor I sign him off.

Check LASORS and the JAA FCL 1....................