PDA

View Full Version : Ju (?) over Munchen

John Eacott
20th Jul 2008, 12:54
Over Munich today, doing a few flights: the 850th Anniversary of the town, maybe something to do with it? Wonderful sound, nonetheless :ok:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/2292-1/Ju52+Munich.jpg

barit1
22nd Jul 2008, 22:36
DLH's Ju52-3m (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju52)I believe - based in HAM the last I knew. 3 Wasps do make a delightful sound!

Fareastdriver
23rd Jul 2008, 01:26
I believe that I can claim to have flown the last Royal Air Force aircraft ever to intercept a JU52, about 1977.
Names and actual times escape me as my log books are miles away but I was detailed to go to Biggin with a Puma to film an Auntie Jue in formation with two Spitfires.
The ex Spanish Air Force Ju 52 was flying from Spain at the time and the plot was that the Spitfires would join up and the BBC film crew would film the formation from my aircraft. The first problem was that nobody could get in contact with it to get an ETA or a forecast position so I and the two Spitfires, one BBMF and one private were sitting around waiting for something to happen.
We then got the message that it had passed overhead Lydd so it was decided to get airborne with the private Spit and try to find it. The BBMF would not get airborne on the search because of restricted flying hours.
About fifteen minutes later I found it just before the first Spitfire joined up and I had five minutes of flying a hot formation with a mass of rippling corrugated aluminium. We then did the filming with the Spitfire in formation. IIRC the BBMF had a snag and couldn’t join in.
More filming of the Spitfire in close formation with me on the way back which he found easier with a Puma’s145knots as opposed to the JU’s 90knots.
Happy days, luckily I am still having them.

treadigraph
23rd Jul 2008, 07:06
Sounds marvellous!

If you can get hold of a copy (try Abebooks) "The Saga of Iron Annie" by Martin Caidin is the history of the Ju-52 and, in particular, this aircraft from it's recovery from rotting ignominy at Quito, through a major rebuild, to the late 1970s when Caidin flew it around the USA apparently having far too much fun in the process.

I remember seeing it parked in a Luftwaffe scheme at Opa Locka in 1984 - quite a surprise! - then a little over two years later being buzzed by it in Lufthansa colours and sporting a German reg at Erding!

Quite a few ex Spanish Ju-52s routed through this country - I can recall a couple of American examples at Biggin around 1978/79, plus various Doug Arnold aircraft contributing to the oil stains at Blackbushe during the same period.

Saw one flog past my school about 1980 - it was setting out on the long voyage to South Africa to join SAA's musuem. Does it still fly?

barit1
23rd Jul 2008, 14:35
There is a marvelous bit of Gann's writing in "Band of Brothers" - about a derelict Ju52 in Taiwan used in a bit of detective work. Must read!!!

27mm
23rd Jul 2008, 15:35
Visit the MUC website - you can book trips in "Tante Ju" - she is often to be seen trundling over Munich....

atb1943
26th Jul 2008, 12:52
Hi,

Here's the English-language JU site - https://www.dlbs.de/superstar/engl/index-e.htm

Interesting to note that they are working on restoring a Super Star Connie!

I've flown on D-AQUI on a number of occasions, most notably to the Biggin Hill Air Show in 1991. A wonderfully, slow, oh so slow, trip, and to see the white cliffs from aboard a real Fokker is poignant and breathtaking zugleich. Around Rochester we formated on the Sally-B, with a DC-3 behind. Later I sat with the late John Cunningham outside the pilots' tent chatting about mutual acquaintances over several G & Ts.

If anyone knows the name of the gentleman who presented JC with a Mosquito model please contact me with an address....

The shortest JU flight I went on was from Egelsbach to Rhein-Main, rather like Fairoaks to Heathrow!. We took in the city of Frankfurt too, and, as luck would have it, the wind changed during the circuit which added a couple of hours flight time (well, it seemed like it!).

Highly recommended!

There are also a couple of Swiss Ju's here: JU-AIR, Flieger-Museum - Flugzeugausstellung, Flugzeugmuseum, JU Rundflug, Junkers Ju-52, Kundenveranstaltung, Militärfliegerei, Rundflug JU (http://www.airforcecenter.ch/navy/mainnav.php?langy=d)

rgds
atb

27mm
28th Jul 2008, 07:07
If you want to see some superb air-to-air shots of "Tante-Ju", have a look at the opening title sequence of "Where Eagles dare" - great music too!