PDA

View Full Version : Gaining a CPL

steggers
20th Jul 2008, 10:58
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to ask a question but i think i already know the answer to but could like some clarification on the matter.

As i understand it, once you have completed your ATPL theory (14 exams) you then have 18 months from when you last took your last exams to gain your CPL? Am i right in saying this? Or does this 18 months also include the IR?

Hope someone can clear my mind on this
Many thanks

Brian304
20th Jul 2008, 11:00
After completing your last exam you have 36 months to complete your CPL/ME/IR and MCC. This counts from the last exam, though I don't know if the FI rating counts in this aswell.

Brian304:cool:

RTN11
20th Jul 2008, 11:01
isn't it 3 years, and the ME aswell? I don't think the MMC needs to be included, and can be done at a later date. you also need 200 hours TT before the fATPL is issued, then 2000 hours to "unfreeze" it.

steggers
20th Jul 2008, 11:07
many thanks for the quick responces. So this 18th month rule just to gain your CPL is rubbish then? It boils down to 3 years after your last exam taken you need to of gained CPL/IR/MCC, even if you leave it say 16 months after passing your last exam?

RTN11
20th Jul 2008, 11:11
Basically yes.

Remember you have to take all 14 exams in 18 months with only 4 attempts at each and 6 sittings. Brake any one of those and all your exams are void.

Then 3 years from the last exam for CPL/ME/IR, MMC is not required as it is only relevant if your working in a multi crew environment. Licence would then be issued and you can add an FI if you want.

I hope this is accurate, as I've just started my ATPL exams.

steggers
20th Jul 2008, 11:13
Thats clears it up, thank you very much. I'm starting my ATPL theory at CATS in 8 weeks..............I'm so looking forward to it!!!

Brian304
20th Jul 2008, 11:31
Just to clarify it is also the MCC not the MMC (Multi Crew Co-operation). You need the MCC to have a full FATPL. I've recently finished my ATPL exams and currently finishing the CPL. Remember not the break the 6 sittings or 4 resits.

Brian304:ok:

RTN11
20th Jul 2008, 11:52
LASORS http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2008%20(Bookmarked).pdf pages 2-8 give the details for issue of an fATPL.

There is no mention of an MCC course being required for licence issue. As far as I'm aware, it's an entirely optional add-on, although you'd be hard pressed to find a multi-crew job without it.

With an fATPL, you could get an FI rating and go straight into instructing for the rest of your life. This would make an MCC a total waste of time, as you will never work in a mult-crew environment.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but on the information I have an MCC is not required for licence issue, only for getting a job within a multi-crew environment.

Shunter
20th Jul 2008, 12:18
No. It's not required for license issue.

Anyway, there's no such thing as a frozen ATPL, it's just easier to pronounce than "CPL/IR with ATPL theory credit" ;)