PDA

View Full Version : Am I alone in finding the BB slow?

M.Mouse
2nd Aug 2001, 19:25
I notice touch&go asked a similar question in 'PPRuNe the Netscape slayer' but as yet no answer. PPRuNe is the only site that I regularly access that seems to take forever to get a reply.

Using IE the status bar at the bottom says 'Website found waiting for reply...' almost immediately but can take ages to start downloading a page and sometimes times out before a page is loaded. Netscape is the same.

It seems worse since the advent of the new software or is it me?

Capt PPRuNe
3rd Aug 2001, 05:05
The problem you are wxperiencing is dependent on who you use for your ISP. The server will occasionally slow down during extemely busy periods but it normally sorts itsself out after a few minutes.

The problem you are having is either due to the connections your ISP provides to the internet or the version of your browsers and other things running on your computer and the modem connection speed.

Cornish Jack
3rd Aug 2001, 12:27
Desperately slow here also for a lot of the time. However, its worth the wait - generally. HOWEVER, although I like most of Macromedia's software, I shall make a point of avoiding it in future after having to cancel their INTRUSIVE Flash 5 upgrade pop-up on every screen change. GRRRR GRRRR :mad:

max_cont
3rd Aug 2001, 14:08
It is slower. I always use the same isp and a connection speed of 44000bps (actual) and this new BB is frustrating. I have not altered the software this end.

I have no probs with other BB's.

Perhaps it will get better.

touch&go
3rd Aug 2001, 14:56
Hello Danny,

I'm using IE 6 and have been using it for about 3 months, my ISP is BT Openworld with a connection speed of 576,000bps,the problem of the realy slow speed started about 3 weeks ago and I can wait for antthing upto 20 seconds for a page to be download.

Keep up the great work Danny,

Touch&go

spannersatcx
3rd Aug 2001, 18:19
Did't have any problems prior to the latest upgrad! Still using ntlworld 56k modem IE5.5 w98se Doesn't seem to make any difference how many people are on the BB it is now frustratingly sloooow, sorry.

slj
4th Aug 2001, 15:46
Seems especially slow in Jetblast and in military aircrew.

lame
5th Aug 2001, 03:32
No, you are not alone, it is slower since the last upgrade.

Brit Abroad
5th Aug 2001, 19:34
Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but I find the forums significantly quicker since the upgrade.

I use Win ME, IE 5.5. I have a 56k modem and usually connect at 50666 bps or 52000 bps

Cheers

davidgw
6th Aug 2001, 00:11
I haven't seen it this slow since "Old China Driver" posted his many opus's back in the early days!!! :D

Keep up the good work Danny
I don't care how slow it is ..... as long as it works

Plide

Can't even spell my new name right!!
:mad: :eek:

[ 05 August 2001: Message edited by: Plide Gath ]

PaperTiger
6th Aug 2001, 04:01
A couple of thoughts....

Try going directly to your favourite forum, bypassing both the homepage and the forum summary. Since each forum has a 'hop to' to go elsewhere, you don't really need to transit either of those pages (see Bookmarking thread). For example to come straight here use the URL http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=35 . If the forum numbers ever change it'll go pear-shaped, but that's unlikely.

Once here, right click the mouse to open a thread in a separate window. That way hitting the back button will not cause the previous page to reload (they all seem to have a pragma:no-cache metatag).

M.Mouse
6th Aug 2001, 22:04
Thanks for the reply Captain PPRuNe.

Firstly let me make it clear I wasn't criticising or complaining but just wondering whether it was me or not.

Out if interest I have tried it with several different service providers (4) IE 5, Netscape Communicator 4.7 and Netscape 6.

Having said all that at the moment (ie now) it is the fastest it has been for weeks!

I can only echo others comments though that your time, effort and money is appreciated.

olderairhead
7th Aug 2001, 12:26
I use Opera for Pprune and find it works better than ie5 or netscape 4.75 etc.
Give it a try, it is free and obtainable from

opera (http://www.opera.com)

and no I have no affiliation with them. :D

MightyGem
8th Aug 2001, 06:04
Sorry to be the odd one out gents, but it works fine for me. Both here at work on a PC (Windoze 98, IE5) and at home on my Acorn.

Amos
8th Aug 2001, 10:40
Well...Prune is paaaiiinnfully slow for me since we went to the new format... yet my other favourites download normally...so, it aint my trusty Mac! :confused:

Amos
8th Aug 2001, 10:43
Well...Prune is paaaiiinnfully slow for me since we went to the new format... yet my other favourites download normally...so, it aint my trusty Mac! :confused: