PDA

View Full Version : Bush flying in australia

pilotkiruba
19th Jul 2008, 22:57
hi,
i'm an indian trainee pilot with 120 hrs in newzealand. i would like to be a bush pilot in australia once i get CPL.
can somebody help me with some info on the requirements and oppurtunities in australia??

thanks and regards,

kirubakaran

solowflyer
20th Jul 2008, 00:44
You will find plenty of threads on this site about the subject if you run a search. Having said that the only real way to do this is head over to oz, convert your NZ CPL, get the relevent endorsments for the type of flying you want to do (eg low level and mustering or NVFR and DG) and hit the trail Knocking on doors. Most of these jobs are not usually advertised. The north of WA is usually the first port of call for most to get a foot in the door.

Tinstaafl
20th Jul 2008, 04:06
Before anything else:

Do you have the right (or approval) to live & work in Australia?

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2008, 04:11
120 hours in New Zealand. That's like 10 minutes everywhere else right?:confused:

;):p:}:ouch::suspect:

BBN RADAR
20th Jul 2008, 07:38
Other than the North of WA, the other hot-spots at the moment seem to be Darwin and Cairns/FNQ. Not sure about down south....?

Do a search on here and google and find some company names and then send them an email with your C.V. and intentions of getting CPL. Most of them probably won't reply - give those ones a phone call.

Would think the hardest part will be obtaining permission (visas etc.) to work here, but that may have changed since Pilots were placed on skills shortage list by the government recently.

cjam
20th Jul 2008, 07:56
1/ Fly to Darwin
2/ Visit each GA outfit and give them a copy of your CV (2 pages max)
3/ Go to Jabaru, do same there
4/ Go back to Darwin, do follow up visit of each place then go to backpackers on mitchell st and drink 14 beers.
5/ Check notice board of backpackers for two sweedish chicks wanting someone to share gas money to Kunnanarra.
6/ Go to Kunnanarra, score the sweedish chicks.
7/ Visit all GA outfits in K.
8/ Drink 14 beers
9/ Go back to Darwin and pick up your clapped out 206 to move to your new home Urawangabugga creek.

neville_nobody
20th Jul 2008, 08:12
Why do you want to put yourself through "bush flying" in Australia when you will get a walkup start at any airline in India? People in Australia spend years working for peanuts in the bush and in 'less than adequate' equipment to get to fly a jet. You can do it from day one, so why on earth do you want to put your self through the BS of GA in this country?

mattyj
20th Jul 2008, 09:35
Hey Buster, are you a fast jet pilot then?

Do you fly a Mach3..

..Gillette:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Jul 2008, 10:01
Bit harsh there Buster!

Having flown in both Godzone and Dunnunda, I have to say that flying in NZ can be just as challenging as Oz - but different!

What NZ lacks in navigational challenges (pre-GPS) it makes up for with weather, turbulence and big bits of granite.

Dr :8

cjam
20th Jul 2008, 10:21
Both NZ and Oz have "gotcha's"....they are just different kinds of "gotcha's" .
Old Buster was just having a lend tho, he knows deep down that if you can fly in NZ you can fly in Oz but the reverse isn't always so.
Kirubakaran...are you going to go chasing young sweedes and old cessnas or hop straight into a big jet in India?

ules
20th Jul 2008, 11:14
Both NZ and Oz have "gotcha's"....they are just different kinds of "gotcha's" .
Old Buster was just having a lend tho, he knows deep down that if you can fly in NZ you can fly in Oz but the reverse isn't always so.
Kirubakaran...are you going to go chasing young sweedes and old cessnas or hop straight into a big jet in India?

I know why (coming from a friend who is doing the same), if they can live and work in australia, and apply and get a citizenship after a while, have a few more hours in their book, they can choose what airline they can go back to, pick what aircraft they want to fly, and they can upgrade to captain alot quiker, also on the money side of things they will be paid as an expat pilot, instead of a local one which is a big difference
$$$$$$$$$$:ok:

PlankBlender
20th Jul 2008, 11:29
I know why (coming from a friend who is doing the same), if they can live and work in australia, and apply and get a citizenship after a while, have a few more hours in their book, they can choose what airline they can go back to, pick what aircraft they want to fly, and they can upgrade to captain alot quiker, also on the money side of things they will be paid as an expat pilot, instead of a local one which is a big difference
$$$$$$$$$$:ok:..that seems like a bit of a roundabout way of going about building a career, and a risky one too, given the growth in India might not be what it is today in five years' time.. with the new citizenship laws here, it takes four years plus of residence, plus the time to get permanent residency in the first place.. :confused:

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2008, 11:36
Come off it mattyj, I want a career! By the way, what counts for a fast jet in NZ? ;)

FTDK...fair point, but our Indian friend had better start understanding what to expect when he joins the Muttoneers! :}

Cjam gets it!:ok: Although...a bit less of the "old" would be appreciated!http://www.abestweb.com/smilies/oldman.gif

NZScion
20th Jul 2008, 13:20
I think there is something out there that lets NZ perm. residents live permanently in Aus too... So no worries for him there plank...

PlankBlender
20th Jul 2008, 13:50
NZScion I think we were talking about Indian citizens working in Australia and going back to their native country as expats to get ahead..

I'd love to fly in your country BTW, but the size and competetiveness of your industry will probably preclude that until much later in my flying career.. more likely I might get a gig to fly over the European Alps..

Flintstone
21st Jul 2008, 00:06
Go to Jabaru

Is that like Jabiru? ;)

Go to Kunnanarra

Is that like Kununurra? ;)

Oh, I get it. You're deliberately trying to get him to mis-set his GPS.

pilotkaruba. Like the man said, you'd be better off heading back to India and walking into an airline job. Without the right to live and work in Australia you won't get past first base and GA there is really taking the hard road.

LUCKY-1
21st Jul 2008, 00:35
CJam, You kill me. Your description is so close to the mark I couldn't stop laughing!!!

captaintoocool
21st Jul 2008, 09:44
ops_are_normal (http://www.pprune.org/forums/members/211412-ops_are_normal) u fu:mad:ng idiot!!!:D

MartinCh
21st Jul 2008, 20:24
NZScion

I think there is something out there that lets NZ perm. residents live permanently in Aus too... So no worries for him there plank...

I think you're tad off the mark. I KNOW. Well, it used to be in dark ages. Not anymore. Because of stricter reqs for skilled migration in OZ, NZ used to be exploited as a gateway to OZ once foreigners got their PR visa.

SO, they changed it to the state where OZ PRs can freely go and live in NZ, but not the other way round, except being citizen.
Plus 2 years ago, NZ laws changed a bit and now they don't count work permit time towards citizenship, just full PR and 5 years of it. Another way to dissuade OZ wannabes from using NZ.
So there goes my plan :-/ Not that I can't make it to OZ eventually if I have time and wishes.. But NZ is nice to train in. Smaller 'pond' though. That's what people say who know it personally. Hence the exodus of Kiwis to UK or OZ.

BTW, nobody said Kiru is NZ resident. He's 'Indian trainee pilot in NZ' so as long as he's Indian and Indian national only... Good thing about NZ is as long as he gets job or job offer in skilled job (not flying) in demand, he can get the papers done.
I think he just went to NZ to train.

So, if you wanna fly in OZ Kiru, you'd need job, ie training and experience in demand. Or go and do some 2 year accounting college in Sydney and then apply for residence.. more at immi.gov.au

Yeah. Like others say, get to 250 TT and go back to India to grab FO job.

Enjoy whatever you do/fly.

Martin

pilotkiruba
24th Jul 2008, 00:01
thanks for the info very much...