PDA

View Full Version : Uploading to youtube

Parapunter
19th Jul 2008, 20:52
I'm uploading a 100mb file to youtube. Out of interest, on an average broadband connection, how long should I expect that to take? So far 2.5 hrs and countinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!:)

Bushfiva
20th Jul 2008, 02:50
About 1 to 10 minutes per MB depending on many things. Your upload bandwidth has a relatively small impact as long as you understand it's somewhere between 1/8th and 1/20th of your download bandwidth if you have ADSL. So I'd expect your upload to take somewhere between 2 and 20 hours to complete.

Youtube's recommended settings are MPEG4, 320x240 resolution, 30 frames per second. With a max movie length of 10 minutes unless you're a "director", they estimate an upload speed of one quarter movie length, so 40 minutes, if you have no bandwidth limitations on your side.

Parapunter
20th Jul 2008, 06:41
In the end it took about two hours but with a few failed attempts beforehand, that I can't really explain?:confused:

Anyhoo, it went in finally.

Background Noise
20th Jul 2008, 07:01
Try this out Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/). As suggested I get about 6Mb download but only 350Kb upload.