PDA

View Full Version : Windows explorer view on opening

attackattackattack
14th Jun 2000, 12:18
This is probably very simple but my failure to sort it out is becoming really annoying. When I open Windows Explorer (W98) it opens with the tree showing one of my sub-sub-sub folders. I don't want this - I want it just to show my networked drives......where, oh where do I change the bloody setting?

Tallbloke
14th Jun 2000, 16:45
This is not a direct solution to your problem but it may help. What you could do is create a shortcut to the folder you wish to Explorer to start in. Use this shortcut instead of the Explorer shortcut and you will start from the right place. You can also have more than one, for instance I have on for each drive including floppy and CD's, as well as any network connections I need. You can even place a shortcut in your Start Up folder, so that explorer will open at the correct folder when the machine boots (if you want).
As to the answer to your question, the answer may lie deep within the registry. If you create a shortcut to C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE you can open the registry editor, but beware the registry is a can of worms to the uninitiated (such as myself). If the shortcut option metioned above works for you I would stick to that.

Voidhawk
14th Jun 2000, 19:50
Try right-clicking the Windows Explorer short-cut you're using and choosing Properties.

In the field Target it should say something along the lines of:

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,c:\

where c: is the starting drive letter.

Pressing the "Windows key" + E should also start up a "correct" WinExp.

attackattackattack
15th Jun 2000, 16:14
Thanks

The short cut I'm using is already a right click (on "Start", a further right click just leads me into WExplorer.) So it looks like I'm going to have to use a new short cut. I like the idea of WinKey + E.