PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus Protection

Tartan Giant
13th Jun 2000, 20:17
Hello guys,
I am presently running TWO anti-virus programmes on my pc thinking of the "belt and braces" principle
1) Norton AntiVirus 2000
2) Trend PC-cillin 98

Is this a daft thing to do, in that they may interfere with each other, and are doing the same job anyway ?

They are both set to scan on start-up and they appear to co-exist.

Thanks guys.

doubleUanchor
14th Jun 2000, 02:48
I thought I was being smart by having Mcafee and Norton together. They seemed to fight each other with the result almost nothing else worked! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Threw Norton out and peace reigned again! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Eli Vator
14th Jun 2000, 12:01
Tartan

doubleUanchor's post confirms a long-established rule. Never run two or more anti-virus programs simultaneously. The trouble is that more often than not they see each other as a virus attack on your machine and a seriuos bout of infighting ensues. Consequently, you are likely to experience frequent hang-ups whilst the battle reigns.

addinfurnightem
14th Jun 2000, 12:56
I have tried both McAfee and Norton and settled for Norton. McAfee missed quite a few virus which Norton picked up, Norton has, for a long time, had an on-line weekly update, I think McAfee may do this now.
A word of caution though, I find Norton Anti-Virus 2000, (v.6) does an excellent job, but DON'T go for the Norton Utilities package, this is like pouring glue into your computer.
The second version of WIN95 and both versions of WIN98 carry a lot of their own 'housekeeping' utilities anyway which makes 'Cleansweep', 'First-Aid' and Norton Utilities superfluouse, in my honest opinion!
For every Norton 'lover' you will find a McAfee 'lover'who will disagree with me.

doubleUanchor
14th Jun 2000, 13:55
RE: Mcafee versus Norton, I only said what I did, not whether one is better than the other. I would have NO idea about that!:O
Just so know I don't know! :)

Slasher
14th Jun 2000, 20:50
I fiddled and farted with the 4 of them (consecutively): Norton 2000, Housecall, McAfree and PC-cillin.

Result? Peter Norton by a nose.

Tartan Giant
14th Jun 2000, 22:08
Thanks guys.......I'll let Mr Norton into the Left Hand Seat.

Cheers,
TG

Feline
15th Jun 2000, 00:01
Recent article in PC Magazine SA (June 2000) rates Norton AntiVirus 2000 as Editor's Choice (5 stars) followed closely by Panda Antivirus Platinum (5 stars) followed by McAfee VirusScan (public beta) (4 stars) followed by eSafe Protect Desktop (3 stars).
Suspect one reason for not running two virus checkers together is the possibility that they might detect each other's virus definition files and start getting all excited. So, good practise not to run both together. I also use Norton (albeit an older version than 2000) but religously use LiveUpdate every week to update the virus definition file (although still got caught by LoveBug which propagated to quickly for me to get an update before it reached me).

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

Kagamuga
21st Jun 2000, 16:43
The best anti virus by far is VET an aussie concern now owned by CA in USA. They sponsor McClaren/Merceedes/F1 racing.
Go to www.vet.com.au (http://www.vet.com.au) for a free trial and download. You'll never go back to the others after trying VET and there is an auto download feture that updates every time they upgrade which is approx 1 to 2 days.