PDA

View Full Version : Country NSW Flight Training

adamperl
19th Jul 2008, 04:28
G'Day,

Can anyone recommend a good country NSW flight school that would accomodate full time ppl training.

Am pretty set on Johnston's Port Maquarie, but was wondering whether there are any that are a little closer to Sydney (like Canberra or Newcastle). Would also be looking for full time cheap accom. nearby.

Thanks,

AP

Kangaroo Court
19th Jul 2008, 14:59
Go to Port Macquarie. It's a great place.

catseye
19th Jul 2008, 22:02
There was a good school running at Bathurst, initially after two dads left but I think she is running it from her own hangar. A talk to the local aero club should give you her name.

The Eye

kalavo
19th Jul 2008, 23:45
Another vote for Port Macquarie (it's always nice to find one close to home, but JAS/CoastJet is definitely worth the drive!)

ules
20th Jul 2008, 10:03
i dont recomend newcastle, it will take you 6months to get your ppl

havick
20th Jul 2008, 10:51
and another vote for Port Mac (coastjet / johnstone)... I did my MECIR there 4 months ago, and there were a couple of guys up from sydney doing their PPL/CPL training... Its a pretty good training atmostphere. They would stay in the course houses provided in town and shoot back to Sydney on the weekends if they felt like it.

300Series
18th Aug 2008, 01:57
Try Atlass Aviation at Scone. Chief Pilot/Chief Flying Instructor is a top bloke and will teach you a lot. As for accomodation try and get a room in one of the many pubs in town.

sprocket check
18th Aug 2008, 11:54
I'll second Atlass. I got my PPL in min time and cost, Scone AD is not busy, your circuits are virtually uninterrupted which allows for a focussed and efficient learning without distraction.

You learn quicker when you are not worried about the rest of the monkeys in the circuit with you, it is easier to learn to deal with busy traffic when you are no longer trying to get into your head the meaning of Vs...

For the CTA it's a short trip to TW which you will do anyway for your cross country. Good aircraft and not overbooked. Atlass run a survey operation so you get to see real world ops, not just flying school ideology.

Pay's toy shed is just next door, too...:ok:

...and whichever way you you end up going, I would just like to commend you for choosing a place outside of the capital cities.

Cheers:ok:
sc

Horatio Leafblower
18th Aug 2008, 12:42
Does Atlass give a discount for PPRuNe plugs or something? :rolleyes:

sprocket check
18th Aug 2008, 13:37
HL:

I might actually ask about that...good idea :}:}

though that might mean exposing my PPRUNE identity - well status changing from 'suspected to confirmed', anyway.

It might be an idea to have a PPRUNE discount card, actually, whadaya reckon? It could be implemented as part of the issue of your ASIC, might finally give some meaning to those 'stupid-red-things-designed-by-people-with-too-much-self-importance-and-no-idea'!

sc

Clarie
18th Aug 2008, 22:30
The school in Bathurst is Ward Air, run by Salli-Ann Ward who is very professional. They have a website if you search for it. It is clear of the coastal weather issues so could be a good place to go. Salli-Ann could organise accommodation for you, probably in a house. It's not a long drive from Sydney.

300Series
19th Aug 2008, 00:13
I hope they give discounts Horatio. Next time i come through that way i wouldnt mind doing the aeros rating.