PDA

View Full Version : swashplate's SCSI CD ROM.......

swashplate
30th Jul 2001, 13:45
Finally got a caddy for the dammn thing but still not working.

SCSI Hard disks C and D come as 'C (C :)' and 'D (D :)' in explorer, but Cd Rom is just '(E :)' - won't map. If you double click - it says 'drive not ready', even though loaded with CD rom.

When I fire up, the SCSI recognises C, D and E, but only maps Drive C and Drive D.

Have tried using IDE CD-ROM, but system won't recognise it.

HHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

This is driving me nuts......

[ 30 July 2001: Message edited by: swashplate ]

Evo7
30th Jul 2001, 15:10
SCSI is a true black art. There are so many possible pitfalls that it would take forever to go through them here. The obvious ones are to check device numbers, termination and the order in which the devices are chained (faster devices first). Failing that, put on a black robe, sacrifice a goat on a moonless night and recite
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/scsi-faq/

Hope this helps. Never used SCSI without some kind of grief....

criticalmass
31st Jul 2001, 16:12
Swashplate,

I use all Fast SCSI-2 devices (2 X Seagate HDDs, Plextor 8X CD-ROM, Iomega Jaz drive via a PCI host adapter (Adaptec 2940 I think) and never a glitch at all. Using old Pentium 233Mhz, Windows 95b with IE5.5 and it hums along merrily.

Suggest looking in control panel, system , device manager and see if the properties of the CD-ROM are valid, if you can refresh, or else remove and re-install. Also look for updated drivers. Failing that, see if you can borrow another SCSI CD-ROM drive from a friend and try it. Another idea is to try a Buslogic host adapter. SCSI is great when it works well but it will keep you busier than a one-armed man with five barrels of snakes and only four lids when it misbehaves!

Also check cables and especially the crimped-on plug that goes into the rear of the CD-ROM unit for any damage.

Hope this is useful.

swashplate
4th Aug 2001, 00:05
Thanks for your help chaps, but now got the damn thing working!!!!!!

Cd was jammed in the caddy!!!! :rolleyes:

Helluva job installing modem & BT internet, but there you go!!!

Need faster processer than P90, though..... :D :D