PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express - copying address book

GoneWest
30th Jul 2001, 08:24
Humph - stumped again.

Have a desktop computer, which is very active with e-mail.

I would like to copy the address book from it directly to my laptop computer (which also uses outlook Express).

Windows Millenium.

Anybody prepared to tell me how (in words of one syllable).

addinfurnightem
30th Jul 2001, 09:05
Open Outlook, go FILE>IMPORT and EXPORT and copy/export address book to a floppy, on new computer insert floppy and Import address book vie Outlook>file.Import and Export.

ExSimGuy
31st Jul 2001, 10:01
Yep, that simple. Only caveat is that it will duplicate and not over-write any addresses that were on the lap top originally ;)

criticalmass
31st Jul 2001, 15:53
GoneWest,

I had exactly this problem a few days ago.

Export your current addressbook as a "comma- delineated" file onto a floppy. (This was the only option in the "File" menu which allowed me to specify where the exported file actually went!)

On your second machine, choose "File" then "Import" and import as a "comma- delineated" file, selecting the floppy as the source.

Worked a treat and transferred my whole addressbook over in a few seconds.

I tried exporting as as *.WAB file (addressbook format) and the machine blithely stated the export was completed...but didn't tell me where in hell the exported file had gone!
As soon as I specified comma-delineated, then I had the option to choose which drive to export to and from which to import, which was exactly what I needed.

Hope this helps.

GoneWest
3rd Aug 2001, 04:02
Thanks guys....have made it all happen.

Question - albeit redundant now...how would I have done it through my home network.

All machines through a "hub"?

WhiteSail
3rd Aug 2001, 15:38
In exactly the same way as described by "criticalmass". :)

The only difference is you select the computer and file you want to export to, on your home network.

[ 03 August 2001: Message edited by: WhiteSail ]