PDA

View Full Version : Excellent internet protection reading

Squiddley
27th Mar 2000, 12:18
Hello.

There is a reference in an earlier thread to www.grc.com (http://www.grc.com) which is an excellent resource/info site run by a chap by the name of Steve Gibson.

As one of the countless clueless web-users out here, this site has not only excellent teaching material, but really useful apps too.

The "newest" is "OptOut" - a tiny scanner/checker that ferrets out an insidious sounding 2nd generation cookie (best way I can think of describing it.) This is a packet that sends info about you and your online habits to the originating station. This program will scour your HDs and list them all, giving options to delete them.

There is also a link to the new version of a personal software firewall which has generated interest here. I think Gibson is also working on his own software firewall (Project X) which sounds promising.

Lastly, his help to check and set-up your PC to minimise the risk of hackers entering through unmonitored ports is a "must".

Tips, help, comments and user feedback can be found via a news reader. The address escapes me for now coz I'm not home, but from the sheer number of posts there, it's definitely a popular site/topic.

This isn't an endorsement of the site or anything, but with the ever-increasing amount of stuff to be found over the web, I reckon it's getting harder to sort the wheat from the chaff. Hope it's of use to some.

Best wishes.

MAX REVERSE
27th Mar 2000, 14:04
Those of you who experience frequent browser crashes which persist even after an un/install should take a look at the notes for OptOut on this site. The ad software in question is a part of many common shareware/freeware programs (eg. Grafula); doesn't get removed when the host software is uninstalled and apparently doesn't do your browser any favours!

Ausatco
1st Apr 2000, 04:36
Squiddley,

Thanks for pointing me to the grc site. Excellent, informative reading. I have been subject to a few port probes recently (of the computer kind! :) ) which worry me and I've installed the recommended ZoneAlert - fantastic.

Also found I had one of those ad proggies working away in the background *after* I'd uninstalled the software that carried it some months ago. GRC's Opt Out proggy found it and obliterated it. It came in CuteFTP 3.0 and GoZilla, the latter was recommended as desirable software on another thread here. No longer - not for me anyway. It's gone to the recycle bin.

CuteFTP's ad stuff is supposed to stop once you register (mine was). Considering these ad progs continue to work after the carrier prog is uninstalled, I wonder if it *really* stopped after registration of CuteFTP, or if they just switched off the ad graphics and the proggie continued to work unannounced in the background?

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 01 April 2000).]