PDA

View Full Version : Direct 3D

spannersatcx
25th Mar 2000, 21:15
Now that my pc is unfrozen - see previos thread - after getting a replacement Geforce card, what are the best settings for using direct 3d/opengl. There are many things that can be turned on/off, - mip mapping z-buffer etc etc. Does anyone know what the best settings are or if there are any websites that give guidance on these settings. Tried the manufacturers sites - nil help.

Thanks

InFinRetirement
25th Mar 2000, 22:39
Glad you got sorted Spanners.

Mip Mapping is a must for turning off. The rest I have found is a question of choice, and circumstances.

Here's what I do. I get whatever it is running, say FS2K or some other graphic intensive job, try and use pause - then you can alter what you want, try it, repeat and so on. Very problematical I'm fraid to say.
It does work if the programme will 'allow' it though.

The best place to see what others think is forums - these have those you have been there, done that and know what is what. So try your manufacturer and see if they have a forum. They usually do.

BTW don't forget to download DIRECTX7a. DON't be mislead by anyone. It's a must and works OK. Directx8 is due out anytime now.

Best o' luck.

InFinRetirement
25th Mar 2000, 22:44
Glad you got sorted Spanners.

Mip Mapping is a must for turning off. The rest I have found is a question of choice, and circumstances.

Here's what I do. I get whatever it is running, say FS2K or some other graphic intensive job, try and use pause - then you can alter what you want, try it, repeat and so on. Very problematical I'm fraid to say.
It does work if the programme will 'allow' it though.

The best place to see what others think is forums - these have those who have been there, done that and know what is what. So try your manufacturer and see if they have a forum. They usually do.

BTW don't forget to download DIRECTX7a. DON't be mislead by anyone. It's a must and works OK. Directx8 is due out anytime now.

Best o' luck.

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 25 March 2000).]

OzmateBugsmasher
26th Mar 2000, 05:24
have a look here for how to set up your Geforce
http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/geforce/

(You can also get tips on almost every other 3d card there as well)

spannersatcx
26th Mar 2000, 13:43
Thanks ozmate, already been there though, not much on D3D settings though. With previous set up Matrox Mystique and Voodoo 2, a certain game was great, but with new Geforce (supposedly better) I'm getting a lot of tearing etc, just wondering how to improve it, and what the best settings are. It's only this particular game, so it just needs setting right, keep trying different things with no joy. FS2K is fine. Could be opengl I guess. I'll keep fiddling until I find what's right. Latest patches/drivers already done etc