PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express errors

Scallywag
13th Jun 2000, 17:36
I recently installed an external modem on my in-laws ancient 486DX running on W95. Installed IE5 and am able to access the net with no problems at all (somewhat quicker than I thought it might be). However, we can't get outlook express to work at all. On my own computer I use 2 different ISP's, so we tried a couple of different accounts and still kept getting the same error message when trying to send/receive, namely to check the POP3, SMTP and server port numbers were correct . This we checked and re-checked. I then used DUN to set up an account manually without the ISP's software on CD; same result. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling outlook express 5 - no change. I thought about using another email programme, but outlook express is what she uses at work. Is it Outlook express causing the problem or something else ? We're stumped, can anyone help, or know of any sites where help can be obtained. Helppppppppp

Tartan Giant
13th Jun 2000, 21:35
I hope this does not seem obvious, but when you use the PC at your in-laws, do they have Call Line Identification protected (CLID) ?
You know, if they phone somebody, and that somebody tries to see who rang them by dialing 1471, the voice says, "....the caller withheld their number.."

The ISP/modem must know who is using the line, so if they have a blocker on it, you must remove the block.

Enter 1470 before the ISP's dial up number.
You jump the Dial Code box, and put the whole number in the "telephone number" box.

I hope I've not given you a red-herring here !

I assume you can get into OE5 but on trying to send an email, it gives the error message and won't play.

FL310
13th Jun 2000, 23:22
OE does not work at all....
does it start and hang, does it not start, does it start and not connect?
if you give us some more details we may perhaps be able to help.
In IE click on TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, PROGRAMS and check OE as eMail client registered.

Tallbloke
14th Jun 2000, 00:01
Scallywag, who is your ISP's?

Scallywag
17th Jun 2000, 16:12
Thanks TG, I hadn't even thought of that one but I've now checked and the line isn't CLID protected.

FL310, Connections to internet are fine, IE5 works fine. OE starts up OK and tries to send and receive messages but then says it's failed and come up with the error messages as above.

Tallbloke, ISP's are virgin & greatxscape.

Thanks for the input so far guys - anyone else have any clues?

Voidhawk
17th Jun 2000, 23:52
Does OE dial-up to the internet before you get the error message?

If so what is the error message you're getting, exactly?!

Tartan Giant
18th Jun 2000, 14:05
Hi Scallywag,
I know you say you checked all the settings, but I have been caught out before setting up a new ISP and when I checked and rechecked, I had missread the line with SMTP in it.
I had SMPT........it is one of those "what you want to see, you do".

Go, OE/tools/accounts/mail/properties/mail
and then check that SMTP line !

More later.

Scallywag
18th Jun 2000, 16:53
Thanks for all the inputs fellow ppruners. Even the so called "tech support" couldn't help.

As it's an old 486 with only 450MB hard drive, I saved all the files they needed, reformatted the hard drive and re-installed windows and software previously on. It's now up and running with IE5 and OE, so they're surfing and emailing away like maniacs - bit drastic I know, but just think of all the orphan files and crap I managed to get rid of for them. Now how's my PIII doing ? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Tartan Giant
19th Jun 2000, 23:26
Well done Scallywag !