PDA

View Full Version : FF3

tired-flyboy
18th Jul 2008, 07:48
Anyone noticed that FF3 takes an age to load when you start it up?

if so anyone found a work around for it yet?

ta

TFB

amanoffewwords
18th Jul 2008, 08:52
Nope, quite the reverse in fact: FF2 was taking ages on my system but FF3 is super-fast.

Maybe you have an add-on that's interfering with the start-up process?

It could also be that your FF profile may be corrupt.

The late XV105
18th Jul 2008, 12:24
I too find FF3 faster to open than FF2 but use a utility called Firefox Preloader to make it even faster. The one advantage that IE has over Firefox is that being part of the operating system it is already loaded at the time you "open" it for use. Firefox Preloader mimics this advantage by loading Firefox in to memory at computer startup.

There are only two disadvantages I have found, although the resultant near-instantaneous startup of Firefox easily outweighs them in my book:

Computer startup takes about 2 seconds longer (Big Deal!)
You have to stop Firefox Preloader (Right Mouse Button on the System Tray) before Firefox updates can be applied. This is because every time the update script shuts down Firefox in order to update it, Preloader opens it again!Download Firefox Preloader from here: SourceForge.net: Firefox Preloader (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/)

HTH
XV105

Jet II
18th Jul 2008, 13:09
My FF3 loads faster than FF2 on my Mac - although I dont have loads of Extensions which I believe can sometimes slow loading.

frostbite
18th Jul 2008, 14:25
There used to be a utility called Fasterfox.

Don't know if it's still around or whether it works with FF3.

tired-flyboy
18th Jul 2008, 14:38
the add-ons were the problem, removed a couple of them and now loads as expected!

thanks - no idea why i never thought of that!

The late XV105
18th Jul 2008, 17:16
Use Firefox Preloader and you can probably keep the add-ons and still have near-instantaneous opening of a Firefox 3 browser.

BigJoeRice
6th Aug 2008, 17:24
I have FF3 and with or without the preloader, my Vaio still takes what seems like forever(OK slight exaggeration but it aint swift) to load, and no I don't have myriad FF extensions added on. To be fair, most things take forever to load, but I came across this thread and switched browsers to try something different. This was the same before I installed Norton 2008 so its not the security software slowing it down. I've run every security test that's out there to try and find a bug that may be slowing this thing down, but everything comes up clean. Going to two gig of Sony RAM seemed to make the performance worse, so I went back to one gig and drinking Fosters.

I now just shrug my shoulders and wave my hands in acceptance in a very "Ce la vie" Gallic fashion, which frankly, has me more concerned than my Vaio's performance.

BigJoeRice
7th Aug 2008, 14:27
"FF3 takes an age to load"

Maybe I'm panicking too soon - it's taking about 35 seconds to come up after I click on the desktop icon. Is that an "age to load" or about right?