PDA

View Full Version : emirates housing question

ozzy89
17th Jul 2008, 21:38
Hi All,

New to your forum, just researching EK as I am beginning the application process. If successful, planning on moving with family to enjoy the sunshine and retire my snow shovel.

An awful lot of info is available here, I've already read the good/bad/indifferent opinions on life in UAE.

Planning on living in company provided accomadations. Wife and 2 kids. What kind of housing can I expect? What is the status of temporary housing and how long is temporary? Typically how far from anywhere can I expect the local commute to take for family (schools/groceries)? Does the company pay for any shipping of personal goods when hired? Any recent newcomers have any advice or experience.

Thanks - Ozzy

Thridle Op Des
18th Jul 2008, 04:29
Dear Ozzy,

Suggest you click on 'Search' and type the words 'Emirates Acommodation' it will save you a bunch of cold showers from the heat of the desert!

Regards

TOD

ozzy89
18th Jul 2008, 19:45
TOD,

Did as you suggested. Page after page of whining, but no answers. I realize each situation is different. Just looking for recent experiences with EK housing (good or bad, please hold the whining - or as Sgt Friday says 'Just the facts, ma'am')

Housing with family - how big, how far to anything, how long in temp housing, is the housing quality acceptable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ozzy

SOPS
19th Jul 2008, 06:30
How long is a piece of string. Until you know where your house is, the other questions cannot be answered. At the moment work on a year in temp housing and you wont be dissapointed.... as for quality, its fine for Dubai and everything is basically the same,...but I would work on getting the job first and worry about houses later. From the current information going around it seems all courses are full for the almost the next year (standing by to be corrected), so the housing situation in a year could be very different to what it is right now:
From another post...

ok:Recruitment Update-
§ Large numbers of well qualified pilots are still applying to Emirates on a weekly basis. We currently have a substantial reserve of high quality candidates available for interviews. Our main source of applicants is still North America and the prognosis is for this trend to continue.
Pilot Selection in consultation with Flight Operations Senior Management and HR, has introduced gradual reduction in the number of applicants being invited for interviews during the ensuing months. All interview slots up to the end of September have been allocated.
Thus far, the selection programme for the 2008 calendar year has been very successful. Preliminary indications are that all planned transition courses for the 2008/2009 financial year have been filled. The number of job offer declines and deferrals have reduced substantially during 2008.

Good luck you all awaiting the good news !!