PDA

View Full Version : Self speaking Word documents....literally.

squeakmail
12th Jun 2000, 03:26
I've left you alone for too long...another guru question.

I would like to write some straight forward Word documents (using Word 2000, if it matters) and then add a an audio commentary.

So, if Gromit comes along and opens the page - the computer will read the page to him (or her [Miss Gromit?]) whilst he follows the words.

I'm not currently thinking of a "bouncing ball" - but who knows.

Can it be done by a computer operator of my meager intelligence (almost negative intelligence when it comes to these machines)?

If it makes any difference I have microphone already working, a CD RW, an audio/video capture board and a VCR all wired into the computer.

<<edit>> and I just might ask it to show the occassional jpeg picture in the process> <<end edit>>

Answers on a postcard...or a pprune posting.

------------------
Animals...it's their World too!!

[This message has been edited by squeakmail (edited 11 June 2000).]

pilot-lite
12th Jun 2000, 03:36
Sounds like a job for PowerPoint.

Setting up a slide show is a doddle, and adding a commentary is easy too.

pilot-lite

squeakmail
12th Jun 2000, 05:45
Ah ha!!

Powerpoint I have....I've even used it.

Now....manual, manual....where did I put that manual?

Thanks, pilot lite.

------------------

Ausatco
14th Jun 2000, 03:11
Squeakmail,

You should've asked about this about 12 years ago :) I had a word processor for my Commodore 64 that would read documents. With a little extra effort you could make it sing :)

It didn't have a bouncing ball, but it did highlight the words as it moved through the document.

All that in 64k RAM.

AA

squeakmail
14th Jun 2000, 06:15
Well, AusATCO, you must have been paid too well in those days. I could only manage a VIC20 - and that caused a fall out with the girlfriend.

Still, if it worked then, it must work now.

I had a look at the Powerpoint option - but I want to do the equivalent of a page and A4 and have the machine read it to me.

Anybody else got a thought?

------------------