PDA

View Full Version : London Heli Route DVD

heliwes
17th Jul 2008, 17:40
A while ago at the Cheltenham Brief at Sywell a NATS guy mentioned a DVD with the Heli Routes being produced. Does anyone know if has been done/is available ? Failing that can you remember the NATS guy' name so I can contact him.

:ok:

Helinut
17th Jul 2008, 23:14
Yep. It has been done and is available. Can't remember how we got a copy. Suggest you try the NATS website which may give a clue:

London Helicopter Routes - A Pilot's Guide

JTobias
18th Jul 2008, 05:22
I've got a copy. It's very good. I'll burn you a copy if you PM me. It is copyrighted, but as it was distributed free with a heli magazine in order to promote flight safety I'm fairly sure this won't be a problem.

Whirlygig
18th Jul 2008, 07:11
I'd also be interested in a copy and have searched the NATS and googled the title, I have found nothing. JTobias, not wishing to suggest you set up a small cottage industry in DVD piracy, please could you post the details of the film (production company, distributor) so it can be tracked down. Thanks!

Cheers

Whirls

JimBall
18th Jul 2008, 07:44
Either Stuart Lindsay or Jonathan Smith at NATS. Copies were distributed via BHAB, HCGB and MOD. The CAA couldn't find their database...

heliwes
18th Jul 2008, 08:22
One would have thought the caa could have added it to the new air traffic services cd they sent.

firebird_uk
18th Jul 2008, 09:08
Having taken a brief look at the DVD it offers real help in following the lanes, however, seems offer little advice when it comes to the RT.

Having only flown the lanes a few times it is the readback of all the elements of the initial call and the rapid frequency changes that create the highest workload for me.

Unless this is covered elsewhere on the DVD, it seems to me that NATS have missed a trick.

Billywizz
18th Jul 2008, 14:34
The DVD is aimed at teaching you the routes, not the RT. It is advisable to do the London heliroutes with an instructor/commercial pilot who is VERY experienced with the procedures before you attempt them yourself.[a commercial pilot from up north was about to take one of their students along the routes and had a frequency that was 4yrs out of date!] Any of the airfields close to London should have someone who can go with you who knows the ropes . The DVD shows you the actual landmarks to look out for, so you have some idea of the route features.
The RT you should already know, but you do need to respond to calls immediately and read back all the instructions you are given, it wouldn't hurt to read through CAP413 again.

md 600 driver
18th Jul 2008, 15:02
tha CAA would not have distributed free its not in thier remit

JTobias
18th Jul 2008, 19:24
Personally I think it's great, but I am a heli geek.
I've done the lanes twice, both times with a very experienced instructor.
I did the R/T every time, but I am very comfortable on the R/T having learned to fly Fixed Wing out of MCR International many years ago.

I probably wouldn't try the lanes solo until I've done them a few more times.
The DVD will be a great help.

OEIHP
18th Jul 2008, 19:38
Which heli magazine was it distributed in and when please?

VeeAny
12th Sep 2008, 06:39
And we have acquired some to give away at the safety evenings.

It is very good.

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/310442-informal-heli-nights-uk-including-arrangements.html

Leeds being next.

AlanM
12th Sep 2008, 17:53
I have given Gary nearly 100 copies for the informal Heli nights. I am not sure if we are gong to print any more - so a good reason to go to the Informal Heli Nights!! :)

Alan :D

HOVERJOCKI
12th Sep 2008, 17:56
Hi.
I was wondering if there was a list of the meeting venues for the rest of the year?
I will be visiting home near end of October and i have never flown in the UK but have followed the forum and sounds pretty good setup and wanted to attend if there was a meeting during that time.
If that DVD is limited, is there anyway i could see or get a copy.
Any help would be great.
Cheers

Brilliant Stuff
13th Sep 2008, 10:28
Could the DVD not be hosted on youtube?? After all if People like the BBC host stuff on youtube so can the CAA or host it on their own website.Now that would be cool.

TiPwEiGhT
13th Sep 2008, 11:33
BS - That's far too sensible...

JimBall
13th Sep 2008, 14:21
There is actually a plan for the CAA to host the footage. And there are also plans being laid to shoot other useful guides such as MATZ crossings.

airborne_artist
13th Sep 2008, 17:10
Could the DVD not be hosted on youtube

Better still, rip it and get it up as a torrent. That way you get it in decent quality.