PDA

View Full Version : becoming aircraft engineer

airplanesey
17th Jul 2008, 16:40
hi, i hope i can get some advice here. i am sorry if these questions sound sill, but this forum seemed like an obvious choice, as i really dont know how else to get info on this.

i am 27 years old, i have no qualifications (A-level etc) but i have some experience in engineering (cars however!) i have had my own dry cleaning business for the past 8 years and have recently sold it and im ready for change in career. i have always had a passion for engineering and aviation, and now i have decided that if theres ever gonna be a chance for me to chase this, its now.

i see i can self study part 66, to a b1 licence (id like to work on engines). however, i understand it needs to go hand in hand with experience. what id like to know is would i have trouble completing this without previous experience in the field? how hard would it be to get employed? i dont mind holding a torch or passing tools! just so long as i can get that experience.

any advice? am i in the clouds (excuse the pun) dreaming this could happen? any comments welcome.

thanks in advance.

clearair
17th Jul 2008, 17:48
I don't think 27 is too old. It will probably take you about 5 years to get a licence and be well paid, but then you can go to any company anywhere.
I used to work in a light maintenance company and it was the guys who were studying for their part 66 who got taken on and sponsored, rather than those who had no experience.
Right now I think there is more opportunity in helicopter maintenance, and there are quite a few companies around the London area.
Good luck:ok:

glad rag
17th Jul 2008, 20:49
It will probably take you about 5 years to get a licence and be well paid, but then you can go to any company anywhere................... you are a tart really:cool:

NutLoose
18th Jul 2008, 11:27
If you can get hold of yesterdays Daily Express, I believe Bristows were offering sponsorship in their advert.

clearair
20th Jul 2008, 11:55
Don't call airplanesey a tart, gladrag!:=
Just give him some advice instead of flirting:)

smudgethecat
20th Jul 2008, 12:09
Wouldnt bother mate, if EASA latest attempt at removing the licensed engineer from the equation comes off you will be better of fixing cars for a living

EGT Redline
20th Jul 2008, 14:01
I don't think it will ever happen smudge. If some fool in EASA sanctions this latest proposal then they are going to be held accountable come the next smoking hole in the ground. Harsh I know, but that is the reality of the situation and this will be the end of safe air travel as we know it.

I have spoken to a few drivers regarding this issue and they have all expressed grave concern at the prospect of some untrained, unqualified and inexperienced person certifying their aircraft as fit for flight.

smudgethecat
20th Jul 2008, 14:32
mmm ,not so sure, EASA are under considerable commercial pressure to do this, id advise any engineer not a member of the ALAE to join asap, as there the only fighting ones our corner on this issue.

planecrazy.eu
25th Jul 2008, 14:25
A few posts up i read something similar to decent money?

What is classed as decent money, is there differences between the two licences in regards to pay.

Pleae excuse my ignornace, as i know nothing about aircraft engineer and want to learn a little more about it.

Is there any place in the Midlands where you can train? or any part time options?

I am currently 3rd year MEng Mechanical Engineering, and really dont want to be making things, i would rather me maintaining and fault finding, and repairing, etc...

Whats the career progression like? and how does pay and benefits rise?

Chance of seeing the world and getting paid?