PDA

View Full Version : Distance Learning ATPL

debeers
17th Jul 2008, 15:15
I am about to complete my PPL and so the next stage is to take up a distance learning ATPL course. I initially planned to do this at Bristol GS due to good recommendations.

However, having spoken to Bristol they have informed me that the course is split into 2 modules and that each module has a compulsory 2 week spell in the class room just before the exam. I cannot get this time off work.

Can anyone recommend an alternative school to do the distance learning ATPL with no requirement to take time off work and also let me know how long it took to complete. I live in London.

Many thanks.

Jizkid
17th Jul 2008, 15:36
The two week consolidation for each of the two modules is a CAA requirement so will be required whoever you study with.

Took me (a not very enjoyable) ten months. :{

DarkSoldier
17th Jul 2008, 16:10
Wherever you go you will have to do some classroom studying. I too have the same problem as you and found the following to be the best solution:

Instead of BristolGS who require 2 x 2 weeks I use CATS who require 3 x 1 week. I am also spreading the lot over 18 months so that I will only have to take 1 week off this holiday year and 2 weeks the following. Not 100% ideal but works out best (for me at least).

DS:cool:

Shunter
17th Jul 2008, 16:49
CATS are fairly flexible with the classroom stuff. The JAA requirement is only 60hrs classroom instruction for the whole groundschool course. Providing you've done that, and your progress test standard is ok, they'll sign you off for the exams.

gmac1977
17th Jul 2008, 17:15
www.catsground.com (http://www.catsground.com) all day long!

It under a £1000, you get the FREE question banks and you can even sit in on the odd full time lecture if your lucky:ok:

matty31
17th Jul 2008, 17:20
In todays economic climate Cats has to be the best value the money saved will help to pay for the extra cost of flying due to fuel price increases!

Chewie von Nubbins
18th Jul 2008, 01:05
n todays economic climate Cats has to be the best value the money saved will help to pay for the extra cost of flying due to fuel price increases!

How does the Cats compare to the Bristol course?