PDA

View Full Version : Better support for Forces and Families

defenceheadquarters
17th Jul 2008, 12:19
The Command Paper itself is here (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/Welfare/TheNationsCommitmentCrossgovernmentSupportToOurArmedForcesTh eirFamiliesAndVeterans.htm).

The text of the announcement is as follows:
A new cross-government strategy to improve support to the Armed Forces, past and present, and their families has been presented to Parliament by Defence Secretary Des Browne today, Thursday 17 July 2008.

The strategy, in a Service Personnel Command Paper (entitled The Nation's Commitment: Cross-Government Support to our Armed Forces, their Families and Veterans), was initiated by the Prime Minister to improve the level of support given to Service personnel, their families and veterans and is the product of extensive consultation and close involvement with other Government Departments and Devolved Administrations.
In the eight months since the Command Paper was commissioned, Minister for the Armed Forces Bob Ainsworth has been supported by a team made up of personnel from all three Services and MOD civil servants, who have consulted with current and former Service Personnel, their families, Service charities, and Service Families Federations.

They have worked closely, in developing the strategy and the new measures, with other Government Departments and the Devolved Administrations.

One of the key strands of the strategy is that the Armed Forces should not be disadvantaged by the military lifestyle, while also making provision for unashamedly special treatment for those who make exceptional sacrifices in the course of duty.

The strategy includes around 40 new measures. These include:

• Improved Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. The upfront lump sum compensation payment for the most serious injuries suffered by our soldiers, sailors and airmen in the course of their duties will be doubled. This is in addition to the index-linked, tax-free guaranteed income payment which, for example, might be worth £20,000 pa for life to a seriously injured 25-year-old. Combined, the increased lump sum and the ongoing guaranteed income payment wil take maximum individual total compensation to in excess of £1.5 millon;

• Retention of NHS waiting list places across the UK. Service families will, all things being equal, retain their relative place on NHS waiting lists wherever they move to in the UK;

• Free further or higher education for Service leavers. For Service leavers with more than six years' service, the Government will fund in full the tuition fees for either a first Level 3 (broadly A level or vocational equivalent) or a first Foundation or full degree;

• Improved access to educational opportunities for Service children. Including uninterrupted Special Educational Needs support and a review of admissions policy which will ensure that Service children are not disadvantaged in the allocation of school places;

• Expansion of options for finding homes. Steps to make it easier for Service leavers to find a home, either through the purchase of their own properties or through improved access to social housing;

• Improved support to Foreign and Commonwealth personnel. Dependants of F&C Service personnel will be eligible to apply for settlement when the Service member has completed five years' service.
Speaking at the launch of the strategy in London, Defence Secretary Des Browne said:

"Our Armed Forces are truly inspiring – every day they risk their lives to keep us safe – and it is a fundamental duty of government to support them and their families. I think this Command Paper presents a package of measures that will make a real difference to the everyday lives of our forces and their families.

"It will improve their access to public services and for the most seriously injured it will ensure a significant increase in the amount of compensation that they get paid. I think it offers significant progress and we now have to make sure we deliver that change."

Chief of the Defence Staff Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup added:

"Our Servicemen and women achieve great things on a daily basis in testing conditions all over the world. They, and their families, also face unique demands that make their achievements all the more remarkable.

"As a nation, we have a duty to make sure that our Armed Forces are treated fairly whether they are home or abroad, and that is why this Service Personnel Command Paper is so important. My fellow Chiefs and I welcome this paper. It will ensure our Armed Forces and their dependants are not disadvantaged by their Service life, and in some cases enjoy special treatment befitting of their daily sacrifice on behalf of us all."

This is the first time the Government has taken a strategic cross-departmental approach to the support of our people. Many Departments have worked together to produce these improvements and each will follow through with guidance, policy and legislation as necessary to ensure implementation.

This was posted by the Ministry of Defence. You can find a copy at:
Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Defence Policy and Business | Better support for Forces and Families (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/BetterSupportForForcesAndFamilies.htm)

rubik101
17th Jul 2008, 12:32
Since when has anything initiated by Gordon Brown ever benefited anyone? This is another of his, 'we will do everything in our power' policies, full of hot air and spin. A few cases which are now in the public eye will have their payment increased then it will revert to business as usual.
It will be a cold day in hell when any ex-service man or woman gets the compensation they deserve. They will get what some obscure and secret Home Office compensation committee deems appropriate, as is the case now.
This is the Bankrupt Labour Government we are talking about here.
It is just more hot air.

contactin
18th Jul 2008, 10:19
I read the command paper yesterday and it was interesting to read the annex, I think it was titled how we will do this. WRT the access to higher education for service personnel it states that this is the ELC scheme so there is nothing new. So I read this a if you want to go to University etc then you use your ELC. Anybody else see it like this?

TMJ
18th Jul 2008, 11:06
I read the command paper yesterday and it was interesting to read the annex, I think it was titled how we will do this. WRT the access to higher education for service personnel it states that this is the ELC scheme so there is nothing new. So I read this a if you want to go to University etc then you use your ELC. Anybody else see it like this?

Ish. It will use up your ELC, but will be topped up as ELC wouldn't necessarily cover the entire tuition costs.

The funding from MOD for this provision refers to Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) – the commitment therefore only applies to members of the ELC scheme. The supplementary funding will be provided by the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills for Service leavers serving in England, and by the Devolved Administrations for those domiciled in Wales and Scotland.

I note that it's for a first degree only.

navibrator
18th Jul 2008, 12:25
Well, I read it and I cannot believe it took that long to produce almost zip. There is better support for those injured - something which should have been there in the first place. I found it interesting that it appeared to talk more about what they had done than what they could do. A big disappointment - AGAIN!