PDA

View Full Version : DA40 / DA42 Diamond aircraft

DOCTOR THRUST
17th Jul 2008, 12:07
Any pitfalls of maintenance. Particularly nagging repetitive defects or other problems.
(Theilert Centurian excepted!!!!)

Any gems or experience of working on these airframes greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dr.T

contractor25
17th Jul 2008, 18:33
Steer away from the diesel powered versions. the airframes are generally ok, although there are no high time airframes around.

OneIn60rule
17th Jul 2008, 20:04
With all the DA42, DA40 problems...

Seems Chinese University or whatever it's called, decided to purchase a few DA40's and DA42's....(This in the latest issue of Flight International)

With the current issues at hand.... one wonders if they are fully aware of the problems such aircraft have had in the past.

1/60

DOCTOR THRUST
21st Jul 2008, 12:07
1/60 that's great but can you please try and keep my request for knowledge on topic. I really am after help or maintenance tips/pitfalls.

cessnarepairman
22nd Jul 2008, 19:54
Not much knowledge of The DA42 but i'm fairly familiar with the DA40 having done the factory course & maintained one for the past 3 years (lycoming).

Fairly straight forward really, the 50, 100 & 200 hour check cycles are quite easy its just inspection really with a bit of servicing.

The major structural inspection is at 1000 hours which involves inspection of the bonded joints. Taking the wing off is relatively easy as they are a bit like a glider.

A lot of the moving bits are under the seats so every annual/200 hour check they have to be taken out. The front ones are easy, but the back seat "shell" is a work of art to remove, about the only job I really hate on them.

Apart from that they are very simple aircraft. being plastic ( and fairly new) they do not require much maintenance. Damage is best repaired by replacement, even though the factory course does teach you composite repairs.

A few SB's / AD's

Fuel selector universal joints, 100 hour repetative or replace with modified assy.

Nose leg cracking 100 or 200 hour repetative depending on if landing on grass or hard runway.

And the latest, replacing control bellcranks due to bad design.

Hope that answers a few questions.

DOCTOR THRUST
23rd Jul 2008, 09:24
Thanks Cessnarepairman, some good info there. Any more from anyone else?

100LL
23rd Jul 2008, 13:46
PM me, might be able to pass on some info

youngmic
2nd Aug 2008, 14:46
Fly for a company that has several DA42's.

Before 350 hours since new 2 aircraft were discovered to have popped the circlips off the end of the main gear lock down pins. One lock down pin had started to work its way out. Appears the retaining groove for the circlip was quite shallow.

DOCTOR THRUST
6th Aug 2008, 12:10
Thanks youngmic. Was this anomaly followed up with a mod or SB or has it been left?

Domi
7th Aug 2008, 20:00
Dear All,

this is a non-exhaustive list of snags encountered on a DA42 aircraft which has logged less than 600Hrs :

Engine – during 100H check, foreign particles found in oil filter - Investigation by TAE
Nacelle – Fuel Filter – Fuel leak on main fuel filter - Replaced
Autopilot - KAP 140 replaced
Engine – Exhaust Nozzle - cracked - Replaced
Nose Landing Gear Door – Washers for countersunk screw corroded - Replaced
Cabin Heater - Temperature Control Levers Inop - Cabin Heater - Bowden Cable Replaced
Cabin Air Inlet (Roof Mounted) – When the roof mounted air inlets are closed, air is leaking through the light panel - Replaced
Safety Walk Step – missing over 75% of its surface - Replaced
Wing Tank Drain Valve – The Drain Valve corroded and blocked - Replaced
Corrosion of Misc Parts - Several parts (hardware) are corroded - Replaced

In addition, here are pictures of the kind of corrosion we have :

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/993/1000013imgnn8.th.jpg (http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000013imgnn8.jpg)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5464/1000012imgku8.th.jpg (http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000012imgku8.jpg)

I would also very much appreciate any experience of maintenance, especially for corrosion as it seems that the hardware have a poor protection.

Those examples are for information only and concern only the aircraft I fly. They can not be considered in a general manner. Diamond support is good and no major troubles have been experienced with the airframe nor the avionics.

DOCTOR THRUST
14th Aug 2008, 13:46
Thanks Domi. Some good info there. Nothing you can't live with I guess; and I think most, if not all, would be seen on any aircraft. Doesn't sound as if this airframe gives too much trouble.

Any more info would be appreciated tho'. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks

Karl Bamforth
30th Aug 2008, 07:36
We have 15 DA40 and 6 DA42 flying approx 80 hours a day in a saltwater environment in a very humid Malaysia.

As you say TAE problems apart the airframe is no worse than any other GA aircraft.

Yep, DA42 landing gear pins. No SB yet.
DA40 nose gear legs crack inspection.
Aileron control replacement was a one off paid for by Diamond.
Pre mod fuel probes can be annoying but once replaced are OK.

Not sure about the corrosion problems, we operate over the coast all the time and have only minor corrosion issues. That said they are in for maintenance approx every 13 days, so well maintained.

TAE has some issues with prop valves and have just reduced the life. They recently modified the clutch and had to replace a fuel pipe due to a few failures.

Biggest problem is getting used to working with the TAE engine. Takes a long time to fully understand what you are looking at on the computer.

DOCTOR THRUST
31st Aug 2008, 08:29
Thanks Karl. Some good info there thanks.:ok:

Domi
31st Aug 2008, 20:56
The rudder needed to be replaced (under warranty) for corrosion of the hinge bolt.
We have also trouble with a fuel probe and an autopilot servo.
The fitting of the actuator of the passenger door is also damaged an is only reparable in shop. The highest utilization we've made is 75 hrs/month. I will not say we are not lucky, just need the demonstration that the plane can fly at a higher rate without trouble.

jimtyreman
23rd Sep 2008, 21:03
DA40 nose gear elastomeric assy upper bolt to engine frame working loose where rod end attaches, worst case bent tie bolt through firewall.
DA42 fuel selector valves, due to fuel system design, i.e. no filter before selector. Excessive rotational torque noticed in fuel selector or pilot reporting high fuel temps in one tank caused by fuel selector not indenting correctly and returning hot fuel to other tank - replace selector, to check condition contact Andair who manufacture selector, of the top of my head the maximum upper design torque is about 1.8 Nm

Domi
25th Sep 2008, 20:29
Does anybody know the manufacturer of the Stall Buzzer installed on the LH wing leading edge ? This part fails due to permanent heating and is expensive (around 2000 € :eek:) by Diamond. Thanks.