PDA

View Full Version : FS2000 - Second Patch from Microsoft.

InFinRetirement
17th Mar 2000, 11:08
Thought you would like yo know, if you don't already, that MS have issued a second patch that supercedes the first. Haven't tried it yet. The place to get it is as URL.

Don't forget that there are two versions. Pro and Standard.
http://www.microsoft.com/games/fs2000/downloads_fsupdate.htm

kopbhoy2
20th Mar 2000, 03:25
Got it...took ages to download (7.5 megs for the standard, pro is larger, about 9 I think) it adds aircraft shadows which were missing until now...

One or two other things, haven't checked them all out yet...

Cosmo
23rd Mar 2000, 14:41
Very off topic but a question to IFR:
You mentioned in another thread that you got up to 90 frames/sec with FS98 with your Matrox G400 card. What system are you running?
The reason I ask is that I got a new PC yesterday and got a tad disapointed because I only got 28 frames/sec max on takeoff roll or when on final. During climb I was up at around 40 frames.

My system: PIII 600Mhz, 128MB SDRAM Pc 133Mhz, Matrox millenium G400MAX 32 MB (haven't got the latest drivers.)

Regards,

Cosmo

InFinRetirement
24th Mar 2000, 01:25
Cosmo,

Don't know what's been happening, this is the third time I have tried to post to you. Just wouldn't do it.

Very strange, I ran a Celeron 400mhz with 128mb of RAM and G400 16mb card. I changed to 533mhz yesterday.

I am thinking that your RAM might be stalling. Your PIII 600 runs at 100mhz and your RAM at 133mhz, it should be OK but it is also possible that it could slow down. You should also get the latest drivers from Matrox, they have had 4 sets in the past 3 months. What you want is w9x522. You will also need their uninstaller to remove the current drivers. This very important. Install the new ones and don't get alarmed when you lose your colours. Just follow the sequence.

Download from Microsoft DIRECTX7a - this too is important. DX8 is due out shortly.

Check that your AGP aperture setting in BIOS is set at 64mb, exactly half of the RAM. Some set it per the RAM but it can cause serious problems later. Also check at the motherboard site if their is a flash update.

Try it anyway - it will keep you busy for a while. You can e-mail me if you wish - no problem.

I would like to know if it works anyway.

Cosmo
24th Mar 2000, 14:53
Thanks a lot!

I'll try the above. There seems to be some other problem with the whole package; I keep getting "serious problem" errors or whatever they are called. Just got the machine yesterday so I'm sending it straight back to the shop. :)

I'll keep you posted.

Cosmo

Cosmo
27th Mar 2000, 18:37
Here's an update on my situation:

I took the machine back to the place I bought it from and they changed some settings which were causing it to crash constantly. Apparently the processor was labeled wrong and hence they set it up thinking it was some other processor type. I don't know if they're pulling my leg.

Anyway, I asked them to update the drivers to my graphics card and check that my RAM memory is ok. The processor is running on a 133 Mhz bus so my 133 Mhz RAM shouldn't be causing a prob. I just ran a test with FS98 at home; only a slight improvement on the fram rates, about 35-50 when airborne. On the ground the numbers are still around 25-28. It does run smoothly, but I should be getting more frames with FS98, right?
Even the AGP was set to 64 as you recommended. The only thing I haven't tried yet is installing DirectX7a. I'll do that this evening.

Also, I'm not sure if any settings in FS98 should be changed (any graphics settings or the like).

Summing it up so far: Still disappointed with the frames. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Cosmo

InFinRetirement
28th Mar 2000, 01:15
Cosmo, did the 'shop' name have PCW in it's title?
They have been giving you low quality many times used bull*s..t*. If they got a new PIII 600mhz processor out of it's box they would know. If on the other hand, as has been known, they took it from another machine - well there's your answer. However, let us not judge them too harshly - yet!

As for FS98 let us set it up and see where it goes - first, note how long does it takes to load - in seconds from the shortcut click to screen? Next, press ALT then ENTER, that will give you full screen if you didn't have one. Then, click Options|Preferences|Display|Display Options and on that page click all green buttons to ON(ticked)on the next two pages click all buttons to ON - except LOW RESOLUTION MODE. Then click on Hardware Acceleration - all buttons to ON except MIP Mapping (this blurs the texture).

Under Full Screen Device:
Find "Primary Display Driver (Direct3D)" and select it.
Under Fullscreen Mode:
Select 1024x768x16
Click OK twice and close FS98 and re-boot.

Try these, and see what happens with the frame rates then. I have taken a screenshot of an intensive model and it shows 83fps. If I can get it on to my site www.uksim.co.uk (http://www.uksim.co.uk) I will. Never done it before!!

We can still check certain things to see if they have cheated: This one is a start, click on Start|Settings|Control Panel|System and note what the System heading says and also the the Computer heading. If you know the name of your motherboard jot that down too.

Let's hope you get an improvement.

Cosmo
28th Mar 2000, 15:34
I'll try all of the above this evening. I don't think that I've been given a used processor, the store seems "legit", but something isn't right wiht the frames I'm getting. I tried Eric Ernst's 767panel version7.0 today at Heathrow (rwy 09R) with default scenery. The fram rates were 15-24 on take off roll! In the air around 35-40.

I installed DirectX7a yesterday with perhaps a slight improvement.

I'll keep you posted.

Cosmo
28th Mar 2000, 21:15
All smiles!
Just went through all settings in FS98 as you instructed and ran it in Full Screen mode. 45-77 frames on take-off roll and 50-90+ when airborne! That's more like it.
I didn't choose 8 bit image textures in the display settings although this might give an even faster frame rate according to Microsofts FS98 page. On that very same page they even state that some graphic cards only work in Full Screen mode.

I also did the check on wether they yanked my leg out off it's socket. Result: Under System heading it says Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition and some numbers (are they relevant?).
Under the Computer heading it says GenuineIntel
X86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1

Thanks a lot for your help IFR. I owe you a beer. If you're ever on your way to Copenhagen, Malmö (Sweden), or Helsinki let me know. If I'm around I'll get you that beer! :)

Cosmo

[This message has been edited by Cosmo (edited 28 March 2000).]

InFinRetirement
28th Mar 2000, 21:32
Well that sounds like a result!

BUT.....I am still not sure about that CPU!?
It should say that it is an GenuineIntel MMX(tr) and PIII. I'll think on that one and come back to you.

I wouldn't mess with 8bit, I would go for 16 - so long as your Monitor is set to High Colour 16. Still the frame rates are there now. And since your eye cannot do better than 25fps it 's great. When are you getting FS2K?

You can download Eric Ernst's 767 on my site if you plan to get it.

Let me know if I can help further, cheers.