PDA

View Full Version : The little blue bar moves too slow !

Sensible
17th Mar 2000, 01:52
Got myself a new 550 MHz pentium, does everything except work like my old 2xx Mhz machine used to.

For some reason, my new home machine runs so slowly, if I click on the little computer at the bottom right of the screen, I learn that all is working well at 35 - 50,333 bps but the reality is that sometimes, the little blue bar takes for ever and a day to load a single page. I have an internal modem, I have tried my old Motorola Modem Surfer 56k external modem as an alternative but with no improvement. Sometimes just to be infuriating the thing works like lightning with either modem, other times, and mostly, it works at the speed of a slug, click on the little computer and it still says 35 to 50,333bps - it must be a lie. Maybe my imagination, but it seems that the more I "surf" the slower the beast becomes. Rebooting often restores the speed but only for a short while, other times it remains in slug mode. My connection is virgin.net rather than the new Virginnet.something. if I use the external modem and the old computer, all works well.

Any geniuses or is it genii ? who can help please ? I'm new here in desparation and have only a small understanding of computers.

I'd be grateful for an opinion on my ailment.
============================================
Been fidling some more, now changed the phone in to the 0645 505 400 number and it says its working at 50666bps but that's a lie because it takes a full 5 minutes to load a webb picture as opposed to about 30 seconds on my old machine.

[This message has been edited by Sensible (edited 16 March 2000).]

Narada
17th Mar 2000, 10:13
You might want to try the following in order (after every item, reboot and try it out on a few different pages).

1. Upgrade the modem driver. The manufacturer's site should have the latest drivers available. For this, you'll need to know what modem you are using (check the computer packaging list or your computer order).

2. Update the Operating System (Windows of some kind, I take it.) If it is Windows-98, START--WindowsUpdate and let it get all the communication related updates and install them (especially DUN 1.3).

3. Get a utility like TweakDUN http://www.pattersondesigns.com/tweakdun/
or equivalent and tweak with the packet size settings (first, write down the ones you have as default, so you can go back).

I am sure there will be more ideas posted here in the next day or two. Let us know if it gets better.

[This message has been edited by Narada (edited 17 March 2000).]

InFinRetirement
17th Mar 2000, 11:17
Get the latest drivers from the manufacturer of your modem. Just go to their site and see what new drivers have been issued and download them.

A 550 will also require, if you didn't do it, that your BIOS jump settings are correct. Assuming that you fitted it yourself. You will need to check that out too.

They're a bitch aren't they!

stickyb
21st Mar 2000, 16:03
Is there a lot of hard disk activity whilst you are waiting for the little blue bar to move?

ExSimGuy
22nd Mar 2000, 16:40
My daughter complained that her Celeron (330 or somesuch) was "getting slower". Next time I visited, I took one look at the hard drive light, re-booted to see how much RAM she had, fell about laughing and upgraded her 32Mb with an extra 64!

-----------------------------------------

The best Windows upgrade (compatible with Win3.0 through Win 2000):-
RAM RAM RAM RAM, and a bit more RAM !

Sensible
23rd Mar 2000, 02:03
Thanks to everyone, the blue bar works like magic.

InFinRetirement, thanks for that, tried new drivers on the modem, no avail. The machine was purchased ready assembled from PC World and I haven't been inside the case - yet !!

Stickyb, thanks, the HDD doesn't rattle, but flashed almost rythmicaly at about one flash per second.

ExSimGuy, thanks, the machine has 64k ram.

Narada, Tried updating the OS and modem driver, no avail. Loaded TweakDUN - absolutely brilliant so far, works like magic, thanks very much it'l save me the $15 dollars it cost after a week in phone charges.