PDA

View Full Version : Skystar Terms and Conditions

Lost in Saigon
16th Jul 2008, 14:30
Just received the following from Parc:

Parc Aviation have on offer a requirement for a number of B767 Instructors,
Captains and First Officers for our client Skystar based in Thailand for
a 1 year renewable contact with an immediate start.

Interested applicants must have the following minimum requirements:

- 500 hours on B767 aircraft and total flying hours in excess of 2000 hrs.

- B767 Instructors must have relevant training experience and Training Certificates

- last actual flight on B767 during last 6 months

- Current ICAO or JAR Licence

- Current B767 Type Rating

- Current Class 1 Medical

Terms and Conditions:

OPERATOR SkyStarAirways
REGISTERED IN Thailand
REQUIREMENT
4 x B767 Instructor
4 x B767 Line Captain
4 x B767 First Officer

BASE OF OPERATION Bangkok or Phuket

LICENCE(S) REQUIRED ICAO
COMMENCEMENT DATE Immediate
DURATION 1 year renewable
EXPERIENCE OF PERSONNEL Total time in excess of 2000 hours.
500 hours on type.
Current on B767.
Must hold valid B767 rating (Must show Instructors rating for Instructors

1) SalaryPer month pro rata:
Instructor: USD 8,500Line
Captain: USD 7,500
First Officer: USD 5,500
Salaries paid NET of tax, company pays tax.

2) BLOCK HOURS
80 hours per month -subject to a maximum of 100 hrs in 30 days. Hours in excess of will be
paid at one eightieth (1/80th) of the monthly salary for each excess hour.

3) WORK PATTERN
As planned by SkyStar

4) DAYS OFF
A minimum of 8 days free of duty per month.

5) ACCOMMODATION
SkyStarshall provide:
��hotel accommodation or equivalent for full duration of contractat base of operation
or an allowance of $ 25,000 Baht for Housing and Travel if based in Phuket.
��$50 USD will be provided for a stay at a overnight out station

6) GROUND TRANSPORTATION
SkyStarshall provide:
��all ground transportation to/from airfields at base when on duty.
��all ground transportation to/from airfields at layover stationsother than base.

7) AIR TRANSPORTATION
SkyStarshall provide:��positive air transportation at commencement and termination of contract

8)ANNUAL LEAVE

In Year 1 there will be an allowance for 16 days annual leave. In year 2 annual leave will be 23 days.

9) PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE
Parc provide each one of the personnel with
��Personal Accident / Emergency Insurance
��Access to BUPA private medical and loss of licence insurance will also be available at discounted rates.
��SkyStarwill provide local medical care.

extreme P
14th Aug 2008, 13:27
Short answer is avoid.

piratepete
15th Aug 2008, 02:50
extreme P why avoid, please explain if you dont mind......Pete, im planning on going there next week .

porch monkey
15th Aug 2008, 11:35
Pete, are you a troll or a management stooge?

piratepete
16th Aug 2008, 05:29
im both, but please answer the question

Jimmy Do Little
16th Aug 2008, 06:30
Actually, this sounds great! Live in Phuket? What could be better!!! Parc is the agent, so you can be sure that it will be kept on the up-and-up, and the terms seem to look pretty good.I've seen their 767's in Phuket and a few other places. They appear to be in fine shape.LIS - You going for it?

extreme P
16th Aug 2008, 06:38
I've seen their 767's in Phuket and a few other places. They appear to be in fine shape.

They are some of the oldest 767's in existence and are far from being in fine shape...

Again, short answer is avoid.

Laker
16th Aug 2008, 07:02
Is it just me or does the pay look depressingly low?? Who in their right mind would be excited about 7,500/month for a 767 Captain?

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
16th Aug 2008, 08:22
Laker,

Obviously a newbie or a wannabe. you're right on terrible money. :ugh:

Metro man
16th Aug 2008, 12:23
A320 F/Os are on better money than SkyStar Captains. The aircraft have a nice paint job, underneath that I don't know what sort of condition they're in. Sounds like an ok job if you're single and at the end of your career. ;)

Jimmy Do Little
17th Aug 2008, 11:43
Laker, Obviously a newbie or a wannabe. you're right on terrible moneySomeone remind me about the salary at Emirates? About $7700!!! Allowances and leave time seem about the same as well, albiet no education allowance for the kids. Phuket would be a comfortable place to live, much better than the Sand Pit. "newbie or wannabe?" I've been in this business since some of you were in diapers.

Oceanic
17th Aug 2008, 12:11
Jimmy, where as I agree with your sentiment that HKT would be a far nicer place to live than the sandpit, you must compare like with like and a first year EK capt basic is not $7700. (Perhaps you are quoting what an F/O basic salary is). In addition, the Skystar leave, as posted above, is 16 days per year compared with 42 at EK. Then there is the education allowance, medical, housing, provident fund (as you alluded to). I wouldn't leave the sandpit for Skystar, but in these difficult times would be ok short term.

ozthai
18th Aug 2008, 09:14
I have done some ground theory, (dangerous goods), training for Skystar.
I have found them to be a very professional outfit with a good safety culture. Probably the best I've worked for in Thailand.
The foreign pilots have a lot of input into the running of the airline therefore.

Skystar cannott be put in the same catagory as Orient Thai...One Two Go. Thankfully not many airlines in the world are in this catagory.
By the way, I have also done training for "the new" Phuket Air and it seems they are really trying hard to clean up their act and rid themselves of the old reputation.

The aviation scene here in Thailand is going through some dramatic changes. Thai DCA are reorganising themselves in an attempt to improve the overall scene and reputation of the country. However they are rather disorganised and understaffed. They have cracked down on foreign pilots by requireing more training and testing. Many of you folks are already very well trained but they have to regulate for those who are not so up to speed and they can't discriminate between countries where initial training was done.

One thing to keep in mind is Thailand needs us but doesn't want us.

Apart from all that guff, from what I can gather the Skystar foreign pilots are on a pretty good wicket.

The accomodation ect is really top class. Pilots are respected and looked after well by staff.

As far as the money goes US$ 7500 tax free is a HELL OF A LOT OF MONEY IN THAILAND. The cost of living here is very low and of the $7500 you could save $5000 per month no problem.

I have been working here for seven years and copared with other places in S.E. Asia it's tops.

Anyhow hope this is of interest.

Capt.Bee
18th Aug 2008, 09:59
ozthai, very good inside info,but $7500 for heavy metal Skipper is awfully low,especially for a contract pilot.
Jimmy don't be ignorant and keep the diapers business for yourself. Comparing Emirates and Skystar is like comparing apples and oranges. It looks like you have no idea what you're talking about.

ozthai
19th Aug 2008, 12:44
Understand and agree with what you say about the salary Capt Bee.

However anyone thinking about Thailand can factor in that it is a cheap place to live so long as you don't have kids going to international school or get seduced by one of the Bangkok angels. (She's a devil in disguise).

Guess I have been on local income too long and have lost track of the international rates. A local CEO of a large company would not get that sort of money. I personally would be in heaven if I was making half that.

Anyhow, anyone who is coming here and whats some local knowlege can email me if they wish.

Regards from the land of smiles, (although fake smiles at times).

extreme P
7th Sep 2008, 02:52
August payroll was missed and a three week shutdown is coming. I say again, avoid.

Oceanic
5th Oct 2008, 10:15
Flying once more?

extreme P
6th Oct 2008, 16:37
Good news bad news situation. Flying again but no paycheques for five weeks. I'll say it again just in case anyone missed it the first five times. Avoid.

extreme P
8th Oct 2008, 00:22
BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Tense stand-off in Thai capital (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7656073.stm)

Maybe the final nail for Skystar?

kwaiyai
8th Oct 2008, 05:42
also worthy of mention is that I heard a Directive or something from BKK Airways has been issued about no more Foreign (I use the term Foreign cos you wont be on Expat terms Mah,) Pilots, sometime shortly, Sorry I forgot the date exactly. Probably Another directive from the Dead Poets society aka DCAT.
My former Company seems to be heading that way too with the Politic playing CP there.
sounds good advice Extreme,, U have been warned.:=

B772
9th Oct 2008, 08:11
Is John McDermott still the Chief Pilot of Skystar ?.

extreme P
11th Oct 2008, 01:13
JM is not the CP. The replacement is no better and may even be worse (if possible).

The SKT ship is sinking fast and is on 24/7 suicide watch... Working for free is never really a good idea.

tbavprof
11th Oct 2008, 06:30
Also worthy of mention is that I heard a Directive or something from BKK Airways has been issued about no more Foreign (I use the term Foreign cos you wont be on Expat terms Mah,) Pilots, sometime shortly, Sorry I forgot the date exactly. Probably Another directive from the Dead Poets society aka DCAT.

Probably tied more to their upcoming flight school for ab initios. DCAT doesn't do anything unless there's a direct benefit to TG.

And I luv the acronym. Reminds me of an old (parody) commercial: "There's a whole dead cat in every bar of Dead Cat soap!":ok:

extreme P
11th Oct 2008, 07:30
Confusion reigns supreme. The great skt machine appears to be stepping on to the night table with noose in hand after downing a bottle of sleeping pills.
K James are you out there? Somebody please end the suffering..

ZFT
11th Oct 2008, 07:42
tbavprof,

The Sukhothai school is dead in the water and will not happen.

Foreign pilots contracts are not being extended because BKP recognise that the local tourist industry is in for a bad time in 2009 not only because of the local political situation, but also the global financial situation which will severely impact all tourism. Expect to see some aircraft leases not being renewed hence lower crewing requirements.

Better to batten down the hatches now and ride out the storm than to blindly carry on regardless.

extreme P
11th Oct 2008, 07:49
K James, K Kerry, K Ted: did you see the above post? It's over, go home.
Future destinations you say? Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Oslo? B763's and B777's? Are you kidding? It is over.

extreme P
18th Oct 2008, 02:37
Still no payroll after almost seven weeks.

Black_Ice
5th Nov 2008, 09:37
Those even considering going to skystar...dont!

no pay, lies, broken promises, more lies and more broken promises.:ugh:

...nothing that has not already been stated in other threads.

ozthai
12th Nov 2008, 05:14
no pay, lies, broken promises, more lies and more broken promises.

Are you talking about Skystar or Thailand in general ????

TIT = This Is Thailand !

Welcome to the land of lies !

Just a part of life here. Stay here long enough you get used to it and in fact expect it.

Lot of positives about the place to balance it out.

Sharpie
12th Nov 2008, 06:56
Ozthai; Balance? Pray tell me where the balance is as I think that you must be sitting on a different seesaw to most expats.

How do you balance things out when you receive little or no salary for weeks if not months on end. How do you pay the mortage in your home country, how do you feed the family left at home, pay school fees, medicals and the other items that you are responsible for to support your family?

Even if you are single living in a Thai bed-sitter, without income how do you balance that. You can say that there are plenty of smiles, cheep Chang, noodles and friendship, but where is the income to cover your daily rent, power, transport and if you are lucky, one meal per day and then, what if you indulge in smoking cigarettes. How do you balance all that. Pray tell us the secrets? :ugh::ugh:

ozthai
12th Nov 2008, 07:33
Well Sharpie, to start with if you need to earn enough to support expenses in another country, maybe better to forget Thailand altogether.
Most incomes in Thaialnd will only support Thai living expenses.

Fair enough the Skystar situation has been a real rough ride and I'm surprised at, (and admire), the tolerence of all crews concerned.
Many would have spat the dummy long ago.

There are thousands of expats working in Thaialnd and most at some time have had to "asK" for their pay. Most expats are teachers and they get paid bugger all but anyone who comes here hoping to save a bundle or send same home is dreaming.

So back to the seesaw.... The majority of expats are sitting on a different seesaw to the Skystar one. And at present, the airline industry in Thaialnd is not a great playground to be in.

The balance for them is probably they enjoy the lifestyle better than that of their respective homelands. (For many different reasons). So therefore they forsake the bucks for living the country of their choosing.

Really up to the individual's circumstances I guess.

I guess your right in as much as their is no balance in the Skystar situation but for many other expats there is balance.

For me at present, (as you know), my CG is well aft and I've lost all engines and am at top of descent for one hell of a nose dive but it wasn't always like that and hope I can re-start and get back to straight and level.

Cheers mate. Let's hope for all concerned they will get their act together.

Sharpie
13th Nov 2008, 01:32
[Lot of positives about the place to balance it out]

Away with the fairies in fantasyland!:hmm:

ruddernstick
13th Nov 2008, 01:33
ozthai, living in lala land are you:ok::ok:

ozthai
13th Nov 2008, 05:24
Whatever ya reacon.

Mai ben lai.

ozthai
13th Nov 2008, 05:26
Excuse my silly question, but if you feel that way, why are you guys still here ????

Capt.Bee
13th Nov 2008, 08:28
Guys,if you are 767 Skippers go to Asiana. Call Parc Aviation arrange interview and the rest is easy. Asiana's looking for 767 DEC,desperately I heard. I know Seoul isn't Bangkok but al least you won't be worring for the family. Couple of years later they will offer you 777 if you want to stay of course.

extreme P
14th Nov 2008, 05:11
Ozthai your posts befuddle. I have been told that you only need Thai aviation twice; once on the way up and once on the way down. Presumably you are on the way down?