PDA

View Full Version : Tanzania ops

Broomstick Flier
16th Jul 2008, 12:48
G'day

We are planning a private flight to Tanzania, some folks going to a safari near Tabora.
A quick search on google earth showed that the runway there seems not in very good shape at all. We would be operating with a Falcon biz-jet there, but I'm wondering if the runway is indeed suitable to receive this kind of plane.

Another possibilities we are looking at are Dodoma and Dar-es-Salaam, transfering the pax with local airlines/charter planes.

Can someone give me some advise?

Thanks!

BF

Soap Box Cowboy
16th Jul 2008, 15:50
Depends on how much you love your aircraft :E

We fly in there with ATR-42/72's and the goverment goes in there from time to time on Fokker 28's and 50's

Another option might be Kigoma, which is half tarmac. Tabora is totally gravel except for a concrete pad at the runway intersection. Don't have runway data with me right now for either field but will see if I can find them and post them.

africanpilot2625
16th Jul 2008, 16:58
Hi,

Your best option is to fly to Mwanza, Tanzania. over 3000 mtrs of tarmac runway.

At Mwanza you have an option to charter:- Auric Air Services - Their 2008 Model, New Grand Caravan (Contact: Mr Rayees Karim, Tel: +255 784 749769, Email: [email protected])

Best wishes,

gregbrasil
16th Jul 2008, 19:22
Guys,

First of all, I need an Airport of Entry in Tanzania. The final destination for the paxs is nearby Tabora. But we need a suitable airport (Good runway, large taxiways, apron, fuel, hanfling, customs e etc), wiith security on the ground for our aircraft (Jet - Falcon 50) :confused:. We gonna stay there for 10 days. My first choice is Kilimanjaro and second Mwanza. Does any one have any other info about these cities or other suggestion ?:)

Best Regards,

Captain Greg
From Brasil
:cool:

smallfry
17th Jul 2008, 03:16
Kilimanjaro is your best bet.
Then charter from there direct to the safari camp strip with local operator - many in nearby Arusha.

GUSTO
17th Jul 2008, 10:40
Hi Gregbrazil ,

Please give yourself a favor . Do not bring your Falcon 50 into Tabora , the runway is not designed for such plane , been there many times . I will not bring our Hawker 850 XP or our FALCON 900 there . On top of that there is no handling there or any kind of VIP services . Your best bet is to land either in Dar-Es-Salaam and charter a PC 12 from Coastal or Kilimanjaro airport and charter the F406 (caravan 2 twin turbine) from Air Excel .

If you got questions PM me .

Gusto

gregbrasil
17th Jul 2008, 15:04
Guys,

Thank you (Obrigado) :) so much for your help.

I´ll gonna plan to Kilimanjaro.

By the way, any suggestion to do and a excelent Hotel to Stay in Kilimanjaro ?

Best regards,

Captain Greg
From Brasil

savannah
18th Jul 2008, 15:04
There a number of good hotels in Arusha, some 45 minutes drive from Kilimanjaro Airport( HTKJ). KIA Lodge is right at the airport for quick transit, All in all there's a good infrustructure as this is a tourist town
Beware of high terrain
Karibu!!:ok:

flyhardmo
20th Jul 2008, 02:55
I would recommend Kilimanjaro. They are used to handling private jets. There is a handling company there that will assist you.
From there you can charter an aircraft to Tabora. Northern air has a PC12 which will get you there quickly. You can also try regional air, air excel or federal air.
Don't stay at KIA lodge for 10 days unless you want to go out of your mind. Arusha is much better, more hotels, more things to do. Try out the new arusha hotel or Kibo palace.
If you go to Mwanza and stay there for 10 days you'll also go out of your mind. :{

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Jul 2008, 06:41
...Unless you enjoy fly fishing. Take along a 5/6 weight fly rod and a handful of zonkers and other flies and try your luck with the tilapia along the shoreline.

Vialengai
20th Jul 2008, 09:53
Kili would be the best for the aircraft, use Tanzanite Jet Centre for handling. Contact Susan: +255787074343. For Crew accommodation, I would use Arusha if you are going to be around for 10 days. With regard to Tabora transfers: Norhern have a PC 12 and 3 x C208, Regional have Twin Otters, Dash 7 and a baby Caravan, Air Excel have a C406, L410 and 3 x C208 and Tanganyika Flying Company 2 x C208. depend when you want to go all companies are busy at the moment, but could make a plan. I am in Arusha working for one of the above companies, if you would like any further help, please pm me.

N-757PJ
20th Jul 2008, 10:41
I have been working in Tanzania for about one year an half and now I’m sitting on a bizjet.
I landed in Tabora quite often. For that I do not recommend you to go there with your Falcon. Apart for the quality of the tarmac -which is bad- if you get there you will not have any kind of facilities you usually need.

My suggestion is go to Kilimanjaro, nice and long runway. They are well equipped regarding the handling… such as potable water, waste toilet truck, fuel trough AirBP, truck to push or tow your baby on the tarmac. There is a huge empty hangar that you might ask to use to recover your plane.

Kilimanjaro is well served from many local charter operators which are able to take care about your passengers going to Tabora.

For your rest. Go to Arusha which is about 45min driving from Kilimanjaro. Is the most important “town” in the north part of Tanzania. There is some nice hotel, restaurant a pub for a beer. And why not, from there it’s very easy to have a chance for you to go for two day or more in the bush, whether by car or plane. So enjoy!

Have fun and I wish a pleasant stay there. It’s a lovely country.

gregbrasil
8th Aug 2008, 01:55
Thank you again Guys,

Almost complete our planning:

:) OK - Destination Kilimanjaro (HTKJ).

:) OK - Alternate Dar es Salam

:= Not Yet: Handling Swissport or Tanzanite Jet Centre

:= Not Yet: Hotel Mountain Village or Kibo Palace or New Arusha Hotel

Any suggestion guys ???

Tks,

Captain Greg
Brazil

N-757PJ
8th Aug 2008, 11:47
Honestly, regarding the handling no suggestions. Swissport is used to serve the airliners…

With regard to the accommodation, the New Arusha Hotel is one of the best. It is located right in the city center beside the main roundabout, nice food and breakfast, nice rooms. Than from there you can easily walk to a lot of restaurants, just in front at about 200 m you have a nice ethnic bar (the name is “Via-Via”) where to have snack, drink or live music during all over the week and have the chance to meet some nice MZUNGA (white girls) from the closest UN tribunal. Or as you get out from the lobby, on the right hand side 500m walking is the Greek Club!!!

Than I suggest you to take a taxi and drive direction of Arusha Airport where, just in front, it’s placed the headquarter of TGT (Famous hunting company, also owner of Northern Air Charter). There is a very nice Club with restaurant and bar, beauty farm, open sky swimming pool and tennis fields. All this club is inside a coffee plantations. Nice just to see it!

Have fun!

gregbrasil
8th Aug 2008, 19:15
Tks N-757PJ,

You help me a lot. Now we are really able to plan our nights ...

I really appreciate your and the other helps. When we come back I'll tell you guys how was our trip and the good points of course.

Thank you again and ...

Fly Safe.

Captain Greg
Brazil

Zenj
9th Aug 2008, 18:29
Captain Gregg

Having flown in the airline industry in Tanzania for 25 years , I would also say that your best bet is Kilimanjaro.

By the way Tanzanite Jet , affiliated to Universal Aviation, USA is the best handler as they handle majority of the business jets flying into Tanzania including all US Air force / Marine aircrafts and VIP fleets.

They have offices in DAR , JRO and ZNZ and they work to your satisfaction.

Call Susan on +255 784 432203
E-mail [email protected]

see this

http://www.universalweather.com/documents/pdf/universalaviation/new/Tanzania.pdf

On flying from JRO/TBO , make sure you use a turbo prop faster machines like 406 Caravan II or Beech KingAir which are available in the country.

Enjoy your trip to Tanzania !

His dudeness
27th Oct 2009, 17:21
Sorry to revive an quite old thread, but I will fly to Dar Es Salam in January.

Tips on Hotel? (poss 2-4 days stay)

Handling via Tanzanian I recon.

We´ll need a fuel stop and likely well be doing it at Assuan (HESN) Anyone been there?

Downside of the coin is that we might need to go back via Lagos. I´ve heard quite horrible stories about Lagos, anyone been there lately?

Thanks for your help

His dudeness
6th Dec 2009, 08:55
Me again...

Boss now wants to see the Serengeit. What about Arusha Airport (HTAR) suitable for a Citation C680? How far is it to the Serengeit?
We´d come form Dar es Salaam and proceed from Arusha back home, so most likely via Kilimanjaro for immigration/custom/fuel.

Youngback
9th Dec 2009, 19:05
What about going to Mwanza? The runway is much longer than Arusha. It is much closer to the Serengeti. There is an approach at the airport. Fuel, customs, everything you need there. Arusha would be a bit tight for a bizjet. Kilimanjaro has everything that Mwanza has and more but again, is that much further from where you want to be. The only advantage really in going through Arusha is that all the other parks that Tanzania is famous for would be on your route and the safari industry is far more developed there.

Soap Box Cowboy
9th Dec 2009, 22:33
Italian Air Force once landed a Dassault Falcon in Arusha, then agaain they thought they might never get it out in one piece :E

No idea of the performance of the C680, but Kili is a better choice. The advantage of Kili would be secure parking and better facilities than Mwanza. Also you get to fly over the Ngorongoro on the way to the Serengetti a nice scenic flight.

His dudeness
10th Dec 2009, 18:28
Thanks guys.

So I will suggest Kili and Mwanza. Probably he will cancel the whole Serengeti thing if we cant go in there directly (thats what he had heard and wanted to do)

Is security in Mwanza a problem?

Youngback
11th Dec 2009, 13:50
I've never had an issue with security there. King Airs, IL-76's, Dash 8's, ATR's, various UN aircraft all park there at some point and I've never heard of them having an issue. Kili is more geared to international flights as Ethiopian, Kenya Airways, KLM and the like use that airport as well as Dar.

The biggest difference is going to be the cost of services. I believe either Dodoma or Mwanza has the most expensive fuel in Tanzania. Kili will be less. Where you are coming from will determine whether the price increase is worth it.