PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain AirShow 2010

.Aero
16th Jul 2008, 06:29
Bahrain wants to make a name for itself within the airshow arena come 2010 it would seem. This (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=223197&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=31118) fresh out of Farnborough.

I'd say attracting 40,000 visitors is a slightly optimistic (unrealistic?) figure considering the Dubai AirShow pulled in just over 45k punters last year.

Certainly a step in the right direction for Bahrain though.

boiler
16th Jul 2008, 09:20
So where exactly are they going to park all the planes? Can the country (and GF) afford to have the airport closed while the airshow is going on (unless they intend to use the military airport)

.Aero
16th Jul 2008, 09:56
Good question. The capacity at OBBI is rather limited.. Where would they house their indoor airconditioned exhibits & pavilions? I can't think of any large enclosed areas at the airport. Then you've got your outdoor static displays, flying display, chalet units etc.. plus 40k human bodies :}

surely not
16th Jul 2008, 11:57
They could use the airfield down by the F1 circuit. It has a good runway and there would plenty of room for parking aircraft. The F1 track would provide good options for hospitality etc, and plenty of parking as well.

That said I am very sceptical of the whole thing.

shazar
16th Jul 2008, 13:44
Bahrain is a group of tiny islands, yes, but that is not an excuse that the country can’t make an air show. Singapore, congested country with (707 Km2) is larger than Bahrain (665 Km2) by few square kilo meter and did a great air show last February.

Indeed it is a step in the right direction

thegypsy
16th Jul 2008, 14:13
Sounds to me like a typical case of trying to keep up with the Jones/ Sheiks

juliettepapa
16th Jul 2008, 18:11
What about sheikh Isa base?? Seems to be the best option.

Che Guevara
16th Jul 2008, 18:33
I think you are spot on Gypsy, however we don't have an indoor ski slope yet....or the Louvre ;)

Chao

.Aero
16th Jul 2008, 21:04
Singapore, congested country with (707 Km2) is larger than Bahrain (665 Km2)

Bahrain's landmass is actually on the increase because of continued land reclamation with projects such as Durrat Al Bahrain, Amwaj island, Bahrain Bay etc - but you can't compare the two based on geographic landmass.

Singapore has a thriving and diverse aviation industry. Does Bahrain?

40&80
16th Jul 2008, 21:58
Not yet!
But you can bet someone is working on it...back in 1972 the "Experts" said.... Only one VC10 service a week would support all the Gulf traffic to London...Bahrain thought differently and went ahead with Gulf Air in 1974 look at the traffic and all the airlines flying up to the UK today.

surely not
17th Jul 2008, 05:19
Well the experts weren't totally wrong as most of the traffic going through the Gulf States airports is transfer traffic, probably a 75/25 mix in favour of transfer pax.

shazar
17th Jul 2008, 08:38
I am very objectives when dealing with facts and figures; Classifying countries being fit or unfit for high-net worth projects based on a single reason is a narrow-minded mentality. I prefer to examine the big picture in terms of diverse factors without any bias to anyone including Shaiks. Claiming that I try to ‘keep up to Jones / Shaiks” is a cheap communication option of weak people when failing to argue politely and logically, because bankrupts do not have anything to convince except nothing. (I do have enough criticism to Shaiks and I never behave like a trumpet in my life)

When Bahrain government signed a contract for an air show, it knows very well it has to meet all requirements. Alike of formula 1, lots of hassle and nonsense came by, and the country proved it subsequently able to sustain every year.

Now, Are we talking here about the area needed or the level of aviation industry in a country? Saying that a country must have a thriving and diverse aviation as pre-requisites to make an air show is completely absurd argument and nonsense.
Countries may use other sources of strength / reputations they enjoy to leverage their presence and attract investments with view to current resources (and in case of Bahrain as Banking & Financial Centre of the Middle East). And as far as the landmass is concerned, Dubai’s landmass is different from Singapore’s too and did several air shows too. I am ready to give list of names if you are interested.

Some people here has to try krill oil !!

.Aero
17th Jul 2008, 12:58
and in case of Bahrain as Banking & Financial Centre of the Middle East

I find that somewhat hard to believe considering the Global Financial Centres Index report published four months ago placed Dubai FIFTEEN places ahead of Bahrain on the tables.

shazar
18th Jul 2008, 07:14
Again I deal with some people who are narrow-minded and have extreme low exposure and thinking ability. You switched from air show case to banking. You came across my speciality and I have to make a response as a Banker.

à There are several index published in terms of best financial institutions and I can supply many for your review and selection where the credibility of these report is often questionable. This reminds me of the hospitals and medications case in North America.

à While I acknowledge Dubai is a commercial world centre and has relatively more global exposure than Bahrain, it is not an advanced financial centre. In an evidence to that, best stock exchange in the Gulf is in Kuwait, not Dubai. Moreover, there are more banks operating in Bahrain (embracing all types) than in Dubai. In fact, while Bahrain continues to grance licenses to foreign banks to operate in the country, Dubai does not, because authorities there consider Dubai banking system is saturated. (again monopoly to leverage empower banks alike of Emirates monopoly policies). Please read local press today, Bahrain announced granting a permit for an offshore Italian Bank to operate in the country. That of course due to the continuous process of reforms started more than 50 years that is able to attract financial institutions strongly, not the case in Dubai banking system.

à In terms of competence, Dubai is one of best global centres of money laundering and as much as 70% of cash flow comes from that process because of poor legislation and systems. To detail, Bahrain which managed to establish first internet banking in the Gulf (in fact even first internet access in the Gulf) has legislation for anti-money laundering since 1970s. On contrary, Dubai just introduced the legislations in the end of 2003 after heavy criticism that all funding of 11 September terrorists came from banks in Dubai (not from Abu Dhabi, Al-ain, .etc specifically Dubai; please watch aljazeera award wining documentary and read reports of Newsweek and Times magazines) !!

à Successful banks always have excellent outputs, I have two personal contacts of professionals Bahraini bankers headhunted as CEOs in 2 European banks, one is based in Stockholm, Sweden and another in Zurich, Switzerland. I wonder who manage banks in Dubai!

à There are many amazing stories about Dubai's banking and financial system such as Dubai sovereign funds which operate partially on political grounds to make financial gains, alike of the one operated by Kuwait. (An American independent body for monitoring souvenir funds ranked both Dubai and Kuwait as inefficient in control and surveillance few weeks ago).

à When Dubai financial system is poor in basics, it makes wonder about the claim that Dubai has achieved rank 15. It must be -15

à To be very objective, there are many negative aspects that Bahrain needs to change. Middle East Economist Intelligence Unit in UK ( well-know and trusted consultancy body) said a year ago in a report that Bahrain has an advance banking and financial system and aluminium smelter (ALBA) that compete with American and European Banks, but at the same time, it has a backward construction and manufacturing sector that compete with Bangladesh, Pakistan, .etc and needs comprehensive reforms"

I feel a bit amazed of some expatriates living and working in Bahrain and showing contempt to the country and I don't know. I am not against any expatriates, they are very welcome but there is Lebanese say" bedee meno tefo alaih'

Try to clear your grudges.

left_to_first_class
18th Jul 2008, 07:54
What's wrong with an airshow in Bahrain and if they need to build a new facility there is lots of land south of the island that is just barren.
I agree with Shazar that you need to think beyond the 'keeping up with the jones/sheikhs'.
Perhaps they will build a new runway and facility and then use it as a cadet pilot training base? Makes sense when you have neighbours ordering 100s of jet and it needs pilots so why not position Bahrain as the home of gulf/ME cadet training?

Oh, perhaps we may get a nice beach to watch the airshow from?:)

.Aero
18th Jul 2008, 08:54
What's wrong with an airshow in Bahrain

Nothing. Like I said, it's a step in the right direction.

Perhaps they will build a new runway and facility and then use it as a cadet pilot training base?

I'll be dead and gone before that ever materializes. There's no infrastructure to accommodate general aviation let alone flight training. The most basic PPL requirement, your qualifying solo x-country where you make two full stop landings at aerodromes different to that of your point of departure can't even be met - heck, you can't even fly over bahrain because it's airspace (sans OBBI) is restricted from the SFC to UNL!

None of Bahrain's educational establishments offer air transport/aerospace training courses or qualifications. Why? supply & demand. If Bahrain wants to make a name for itself within the aviation industry today, it's got to reform its national aviation authority and set the stage. At the moment, it's nothing more than a side dish.

I can supply many for your review and selection where the credibility of these report is often questionable.

Funny how the very same "questionable" indices are used by the financial services industries themselves, not to mention government policy makers.

Mow
18th Jul 2008, 09:06
Guys, it seems that we are all narrow minded here, except for one genius guy among us, its great to have him among us :cool:

brassplate
18th Jul 2008, 17:57
let them have a go of it. there is no point in ridiculing ambitious undertakings, especially if you're an expat. big projects create jobs for them too. let the results speak for themselves.

.Aero
19th Jul 2008, 03:01
Maybe this thread will get dug up again in 2 years time :}

thegypsy
19th Jul 2008, 12:11
shazar

I am confused. In May 2008 on another thread you said you were in HR. Now you are telling us you are a Banker. Which is it then??

As for people who are narrow minded you are living in an area renowned for such a trait.

Running a Formula 1 event is simply a matter of doing what Bernie Eccleston wants. Totally different to an Airshow which costs a small fortune for exhibitors who need to be sure that it is worth their while. Time will tell on that one.

Putting on an Airshow is not a simple matter of whether there is room. As Aero rightly said Bahrain does not have an Aerospace industry. It also does not have the varied economy that Singapore has, nor the population.

I have lived and worked in Kuwait,Bahrain and Singapore and if I was an exhibitor I would not be interested in Bahrain compared to Dubai or Singapore.

shazar
20th Jul 2008, 08:00
Mr Thegyepsy

Thank you, you don’t to be confused. I do, I am a banker and HR professional. I started working as a banker and moved to HR after spending many years in core-banking positions to address relevant projects. I am happy as an HR professional and an active pivotal member in internal banking committees; both areas trained me to be well-balanced in making any opinion. I hope this clarifies your confusion, though I don't think I have an obligation to disclose my professional background and prefer to keep it to myself.

Now, if you think that Bahrain doesn’t have the ability to do an air show, I think “If you have a will, there is away”. This is a challenge for Bahrain government to prove itself and use all options to achieve its ambitions either through sourcing or outsourcing, unless they have to think in one direction! (contracting agencies, experts, .etc whatever they have in mind). This is a valuable opportunity to attract investment and creates jobs for locals. A weak would consider high-net worth projects impossible; a strong one would snatch them and employs them and progress forward without limit. The million journey starts with a step and the first step is the will.

Separate to above, when I quoted the word ‘narrow-minded’ and ‘low exposure’ I made it clear that ‘SOME’ and I did not generalise, contrary to your input.

I listed many facts about Dubai’s financial system and there were no single refutable opinion about monopoly policies, money laundering, lack of transparency in sovereign funds, .etc (in fact UAE officials acknowledge these facts and I am ready to add more to the list). I was even very objective towards Bahrain and talked about the negative side of its economy. I can elaborate further if you would like, but I don’t think this forum is intended for debating economic conditions.

Thank you

.Aero
25th Jul 2008, 08:26
Dubai Airshow's new website has just gone live and it's looking very slick! :ok:

www.DubaiAirshow.aero (http://www.DubaiAirshow.aero/)

I love the way it's not dripping with 'national pride' :}

Bahrain Airshow certainly has it's work cut out!

Mike.Park
2nd Jan 2009, 15:43
Just some updated info for those that are interested.

The confirmed dates for the Bahrain Airshow are in.
The Bahrain Airshow takes place 2 months after the Dubai Airshow.

Dates: 21-23 January 2010

Tickets: By invitation only (according to the info on the pdf)

Official website: Farnborough (http://www.bahraininternationalairshow.com)

Monty77
3rd Jan 2009, 13:35
I remember the run up to the first Grand Prix and the construction of the international circuit, which was not 'simply a matter of' doing what
Ecclestone wanted, particularly when the date was brought forward by a few months.

Some expats were constantly going on about it, predicting an unfinished circuit, traffic chaos, total cock ups etc. It actually went very well and continues to be a success. They were wrong.

Before some people repeat their mistakes, I suspect the Air Show may be aimed at industry, not the general public.

And can I remind you all of the undoubted fiasco that was the tax-payer funded Millenium Dome in London on New Year's Eve 1999?

If you want an expensive cock-up to go off without a hitch, get us Brits in. We're really rather good at it.

So, on a positive note, why not hope the airshow is a success for a country in which some of us have chosen to live? We are all interested in aviation and presumably welcome success wherever it occurs. After all, it's unlikely they'll cancel the airshow in Bahrain because the car park is too wet. No wait! That happened at Fairford (UK) International Air Tattoo where tens of thousands were turned away. Got a refund though, which was nice.;)

Mike.Park
3rd Jan 2009, 19:36
Wishful thinking Monty. Let's hope it is successful!

As for timing... 2 months after the Dubai Airshow??

Monty77
4th Jan 2009, 03:39
Probably for the same reason that all Northern Hemisphere air shows are held in summer: the weather. Just because Paris/Farnborough are in July/August, would you shift Fairford to a more fashionable November? Thought not, because then you'd have to seriously think about car parks.

Monty77
7th Jan 2009, 12:21
Mike

I just got an email info from the Farnborough people that indicates the show will be at the new Sakhir airport next to the International Circuit.

Makes sense as there are no mil units there (yet), the highway to there is almost finished and there's plenty of facilities for corporate hostility at the circuit.

Where did you get the Shaik Isa info? Just out of interest.

Mike.Park
8th Jan 2009, 08:00
Where did you get the Shaik Isa info?

I misread what was on the website. I've now corrected my previous post to read Sakhir Airbase. Is this a new facility or something?

Any chance you PMing me directions?

Radar Contact
8th Jan 2009, 08:14
Shaikha Isa Airbase is Sakhir Airbase.

I got my invitation ! :-)

Mike.Park
8th Jan 2009, 09:01
If they used bloomin ICAO designators there wouldn't be any confusion!

Right then - OBBS it is!

40&80
8th Jan 2009, 23:57
Do not forget to live life to the full and take your camera and take some pictures...and maybe get arrested?

Mike.Park
9th Jan 2009, 13:04
take some pictures...and maybe get arrested

That's not the scary part - its what happens behind closed doors that gives me the chills!

Monty77
19th Jan 2009, 15:37
Mike

The Sakhir airport is no secret. 12,000 ft runway overlooked by the Hamad Town escarpment and next to the Formula One Circuit. Hangar big enough for anything but an A380. If you look on google earth you can see the old 6000 ft runway which is now a taxiway. No ICAO designator yet because it's private for the moment.

Big white crosses on both ends of the runway but an ILS calibrator was whizzing about a few months ago.

Sakhir? Shaik Isa? Jumble up the letters and you can take your pick. Believe it when you see it. :)

Lord Bracken
19th Jan 2009, 17:49
Satellite photo of the Bahrain archipelago taken in September 2008...big file, but Sakhir airfield (with parallel taxiway) can clearly be seen.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/708/sep122008copymu8.jpg

Mike.Park
24th May 2009, 15:03
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2554/newairport.jpg

Bahrain Lover
21st Jan 2010, 06:48
AIR SHOW IS A SELL-OUT!

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/xxxii/306/images/t_Lpic1.jpg

MANAMA: Demand for space at Bahrain's first international air show has been so overwhelming that organisers had to reject approaches from additional companies hoping to take part, it emerged yesterday.

A total of 40 organisations working in business, defence and commercial aviation were offered the chance to participate in the Bahrain International Air Show (BIAS) 2010, but Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company chairman Talal Alzain revealed it could have been more.

"The 40 exclusive business chalets for the event have been sold out for quite a while and on top of that, there was also a substantial demand for more," he told a Press conference yesterday.

The show gets underway Thursday at the Sakhir Airbase from 9am and runs until Saturday.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/160185309_5024922135_b.jpg

Bahrain Lover
21st Jan 2010, 06:52
10,000 expected at Air Show opening
By TOM HANRATTY, Posted on » Thursday, January 21, 2010

MANAMA: More than 10,000 people are expected to descend on Sakhir Airbase this morning for the opening of the first Bahrain International Air Show.

That includes more than 2,000 specially invited corporate guests and a host of international delegations.

The 5,000 public tickets made available for tomorrow have already sold out, but about half of the tickets for today and Saturday are still available, according to organisers.

The event will feature three days of air displays by a range
of aircraft, as well as a raft of family entertainment in the public area, and is being held under the patronage of His Majesty King Hamad

His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince and Economic Development Board chairman, has urged EDB members to exert all efforts to support the air show's supreme organising committee, led by Southern Governor Shaikh Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa.

This aims to make the show's first edition successful in consolidating Bahrain's renowned reputation in hosting international exhibitions and successful business meetings, EDB executive director Shaikh Mohammed bin Isa Al Khalifa said yesterday.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/XXXII/307/pdf/page06.pdf (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/XXXII/307/pdf/page06.pdf)

Family fun at air show

A RAFT of family entertainment has been lined up over the next three days as Bahrain makes its debut on the international air show scene.

Organisers of the three-day Bahrain International Air Show 2010 have teamed up with Adhari Park to keep visitors of all ages happy with amusements such as river rides, mini jets and go-karts, magic shows, hip-hop shows, firework displays and competitions each of the three days.

A special Heritage Park has also been created to give visitors the opportunity to explore local arts, crafts, music and customs. However, it is the spectacular flying and aerobatic displays that are expected to generate most interest.

Kicking off at 1.30pm each day, the displays include some of the world's most decorated teams and pilots, including the Royal Bahrain Air Force Display Team, the French Air Force Display Team, the Saudi Hawks Aerobatic Display Team and solo pilot Mark Jefferies.

Crowds of up to 10,000 people are expected to descend on the Sakhir Airbase this morning for the official opening of the show at 11am.

Chief among them will be His Majesty King Hamad, under whose patronage the event is taking place.
However, people can head down to the venue earlier and the doors will open on all three days from 10am to 5.30pm.
Among those at the opening will be more than 2,000 specially invited corporate guests and a host of international delegations.

Culture and Information Minister Shaikha Mai bint Mohammed Al Khalifa yesterday toured the media centre and heritage village at BIAS accompanied by assistant under-secretary for Civil Aviation Affairs Captain Abdulrahman Al Gaoud and hailed the preparations.
She was briefed on the preparations by Bahrain Royal Air Force media committee head Lt Colonel Abdullah bin Mohammed Al Nuaimi and the organisational committee media head Yousef Mahmoud.

Organised by Farnborough International Limited (FIL) and Civil Aviation Affairs for the Kingdom of Bahrain (CAA), 40 luxury business chalets at the venue have been snapped up by some of the biggest names in aviation.

Participating companies will be afforded exclusive one-on-one opportunities to showcase products and services to potential buyers, visiting delegations, the media, trade partners and public visitors.

Among those taking part in the show are Airbus, Gulf Air, TAG Aeronautics, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter Textron Inc, Gulf Aviation Technologies, Bahrain Air and SELEX Sistemi Integrati.

Participation at the event is costing each company $155,000 (BD58,590) - including catering, an executive car, access to the VIP pavilion and aircraft parking space, if required.

However, the show is expected to be significantly different from any other aerospace event in the Middle East.
Tickets for the public event cost BD7 for adults and BD3 for children aged under 15 and are available at Batelco stores in Seef Mall, Bahrain City Centre and Bahrain International Airport; by calling the ticket hotline on 8000 8181; or by visiting Bahrain International Airshow - Welcome (http://www.farnborough.com/Site/Content/bahrain/).

People visiting BIAS 2010 today are advised to park at the Bahrain International Circuit, from where they will be shuttled by bus to the adjacent air show venue.

S.F.L.Y
21st Jan 2010, 07:41
Out of the 40 chalets it's not so many major aviation related companies attending the event. First edition, just after the Dubai Airshow isn't a very attractive package. It's getting boring to have foreign companies organizing events every 3 months and I don't think the industry has so much money to spend in useless marketing gifts.

Mike.Park
21st Jan 2010, 15:45
Once the circus has moved on, whats the Sakhir airfield going to be used for?

Dessert Aviator
21st Jan 2010, 16:58
The F16 and F18 plus Rafaele put on a thundering good display, the SU27
was a bit of a disapointment, all the other formation displays were nicely flown.
The Sakir base will be home to the Royal flight, and the next airshow is penciled in for 2012:ok:

Da Do Ron Ron
21st Jan 2010, 20:36
Sakhir 'airport' will now house the Royal Flight.

Sheikh Isa Airbase has been moved to it's new location at the foot of the Island (Google Earth it).

Mike.Park
21st Jan 2010, 21:15
The Sakir base will be home to the Royal flight

Interesting. If that spells the end of road closures and the 'look at me' motorcades I'm all for it!

ironbutt57
22nd Jan 2010, 06:20
Where was the commentator for the aerial displays..all I heard was some asian voice talking about some hip hop music at the music arena...The Saudi Hawks did a very nice job, as did the F-18 and the F-16..and yah, the most maneuverable fighter the SU-27 was a disappointment..

Da Do Ron Ron
22nd Jan 2010, 10:58
Spoke to a guy last night, BD7 to get into the public area, miles away from static display and nothing for the 'familes' to do other than a very busy bouncy castle. Lot's of peeved people and he left soon after arriving.

Mike.Park
22nd Jan 2010, 11:46
Where was the commentator for the aerial displays..

Sadly non-existent. They should have had a commentator getting the crowd excited about what they're watching.

I think the physical separation of trade/vip visitors from the general public was a mistake.

They could have dedicated the first few days to vip/trade, then allow the general public to access all areas during the last day or two.

Bahrain Lover
22nd Jan 2010, 12:17
Yes if I pay I should be able to see everything. Heard they're considering increasing the number and quality of shows and the number of days for the 2012 Bahrain Airshow. Today there was English and Arabic commentary on TV, but I don't know about the spectator area.

Bahrain Lover
23rd Jan 2010, 02:25
Show flying high on second day
By Tom Hanratty, Posted on » Saturday, January 23, 2010

A SELL-OUT crowd yesterday flocked to the Bahrain International Airshow on Day Two of the Sakhir spectacular.

More than 5,000 visitors were treated to another show of aerobatic display as business leaders and aviation enthusiasts met some of the biggest names in aviation industry at the specially- created corporate area.

The air show was opened by His Majesty King Hamad on Thursday at a glittering ceremony. Present were His Royal Highness Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander, dignitaries and guests.

BIAS 2010 concludes today, with tickets to the public side of the show already sold out.

Organisers teamed up with Adhari Park to keep visitors of all ages happy with amusements such as river rides, mini jets and go-karts, magic shows, hip-hop shows, firework displays and competitions on each day.

A special Heritage Park has also been created to give visitors the opportunity to explore local arts, crafts, music and customs.

Meanwhile, Bahrain Airport Services (BAS) chief executive officer Phil Bowell has stated that the company is ready for any additional openings of the Sakhir Airbase.

Mumtalakat chairman Talal Alzain had hinted earlier that the Sakhir site created for this weekend's inaugural BIAS could be used for the influx of flights to Bahrain for events such as the Bahrain Grand Prix and according to Mr Bowell, BAS would be happy to be involved.

"BAS is happy to play a role in supporting Bahrain in any way we can,"

"The construction of this magnificent site here in Sakhir has given Bahrain the opportunity to further itself as a regional leader in aviation and we will support whatever decision the authorities take on what to do with the facilities.

"A lot of the facilities we've brought in to the Sakhir site on a temporary basis for the airshow have worked so if we can do it for the airshow then there's no reason we can't do it for other events.

Regardless of whether or not the Sakhir Airbase is opened up for other events, with the planned expansion of the BIA expected to begin over the coming months, 2010 promises to be a busy time for BAS.

Sitting contently however, Mr Bowell reveals that despite the current economic climate, 2009 was actually a very successful year for the company.

"Remarkably, BAS saw a ten per cent growth in passengers to the end of 2009," he said.

"I'm truly astonished at how protected we've been in comparison to other parts of the industry around the world," he added.

"I mean, I used to work in a similar company in Japan but the old team I put together there has had a 60-70 per cent drop in business

"I honestly don't know why we've done so well.

"There's no doubt there was a dip on the cargo side of things but that's starting to come back up now and in terms of passengers, it's just run and run and run and what is important for us to do now is to make the most of the facilities we have while the next stage of the airport's expansion plans are put in place."

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/XXXII/309/pdf/page04.pdf

Gulf Daily News » Local News » Show flying high on second day (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=269106)

S.F.L.Y
23rd Jan 2010, 06:10
5.000 visitors is a sold out??? 4 years ago I went to the Payerne airshow in Switzerland where we were over 100.000 visitors on the first day...

This shows are very expensive and are not only meant to amuse the public... It's supposed to be a business exhibition. How many deals signed so far?

Bahrain Lover
23rd Jan 2010, 06:54
5,000 tickets a day only were offered for the public. People who couldn't buy tickets were lined up on the road and around outside the Airshow location to watch the air displays.

A lot of people where already camped near the Sakhir area as it's the camping season in Bahrain this time of year, so they watched the airshows for free ;).

Here's a video describing the evolution of the Airshow idea and how it's meant to be a bit different.

Bahrain International Airshow - Preview 2010 (http://www.farnborough.com/Site/Content/Bahrain/Preview-2010.aspx)

Mephistopheles
24th Jan 2010, 12:55
Nice airshow, although I doubt much business was done but who cares, at least we got to watch some half decent air displays. It does pain me to say that Bahrain Air stole the show with there fly-by. Good work to all those involved. Shame GFs 340 just wallowed by the crowd-very disappointing. Anyone know when the next one is?

Dave Gittins
25th Jan 2010, 04:52
Here in Doha, the first I heard of it was on Thursday night and at that point I was disappointed I hadn't heard earlier or I could have gone.

By the reports I'm glad I didn't.

Bahrain Lover
25th Jan 2010, 06:59
David Bloomer a Radio Bahrain reporter said the atmosphere at the show with all the Chalets reminded him of the Paddock area at Formula One. He met with a Farnborough executive who said deals exceeded One Billion Dollars and attendance was 30,000 over the 3 days period. They are very happy with the organization of the Air Show and the number of planes displayed were 94 planes, while they were expecting 74 planes which is a good surprise for them especially for a first time airshow.

The next Bahrain Air Show will be in 2012 and it will hopefully be fully open to the public.

There were tickets for sale for Business and airplane industry workers on the main gate of the Airshow which were more expensive, but the public tickets were sold out on the first day.

Lord Bracken
25th Jan 2010, 08:01
I very much doubt that the show will be "open" to the public next time. The whole selling point of Bahrain vs. Dubai or even Paris/Farnborough is that it is a exclusive, business-to-business event that doesn't have the public wandering around getting in the way.

Bahrain Lover
25th Jan 2010, 09:26
Rummer is first couple of days will be business-to-business and the rest will be open. The Airshow days may be increased.

Bahrain Lover
25th Jan 2010, 22:41
$1bn deals at air show

SALES agreements worth more than $1 billion (BD378 million) were signed during the first Bahrain International Air Show (BIAS), officials have announced.
Around 30,000 visitors attended the spectacular three-day show at the Sakhir Airbase, which ended on Saturday.
The figures were released by Farnborough International Limited (FIL), which co-ordinated the event in partnership with Civil Aviation Affairs for the Kingdom of Bahrain.
"FIL very pleased with the attendance figures at the first BAIS," said a spokeswoman.
"Between the corporate and public sides of the events, we entertained around 10,000 people each day so we are really delighted with that."
BIAS organising committee head Shaikh Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa hailed the success of the event and said the trade agreements would be evaluated in the coming weeks.
Plaudits for the show continued to flow in yesterday, as more participants expressed their gratitude to the organisers.
"The success of the event proves once again Bahrain's dynamic and progressive outlook," said Gulf Air chief executive Samer Majali.
"For Gulf Air, the BIAS has served another great opportunity to be an ambassador of the Kingdom of Bahrain with the strong presence of its Golden Falcon on the ground and in the air.
"More particularly, it presented us a significant business platform, where we could conclude some key agreements that would bring potential benefits for the airline and its people."

Gulf Daily News » Local News » $1bn deals at air show (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=269256)

Da Do Ron Ron
26th Jan 2010, 06:44
"For Gulf Air, the BIAS has served another great opportunity to be an ambassador of the Kingdom of Bahrain with the strong presence of its Golden Falcon on the ground and in the air.

Headless on the ground I seem to remember :rolleyes:

Skybeds
28th Jan 2010, 18:52
next airshow on 2012. cant wait.. they did an amazing job and i hope they would do better next year ..

CLEANCRUISER
30th Jan 2010, 00:52
By Murdo Morrison ([email protected]) Flight International.

Bahrain Air (http://www.bahrainair.net/) is to help launch a Sudanese start-up that its investors say could become the "airline of choice" in a region they claim is flourishing economically but is short of reliable air transport.

The kingdom's second carrier - set up two years ago - is to arrange the wet-lease of one of its four Airbus (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/airbus.html) A320s to Blue Nile Airways, into which fellow investors AFAQ of Egypt and HMA in Bahrain are putting $20 million.
Blue Nile - which is restricted from purchasing aircraft because of embargoes on Khartoum - is aiming to have a fleet of four wet-leased aircraft by the end of the year, serving destinations in the country itself, Egypt and the Gulf.

"Our goal is to become one of the leading operators in east Africa - that is why we chose the generic name Blue Nile," says HMA chairman Abdulhakim Allawy.

Despite rumours that it might firm up a letter of intent for six A320 (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/airbus%20a320.html) family aircraft at the show, Bahrain Air (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/bahrain%20air.html) says difficulty obtaining financing means it will put off any decision until the second half of the year.

The wet lease to Blue Nile leaves it with three A320s and two A319s. "We think we are okay for 2010 with five," says managing director Ibrahim Alhamer.

In the show's only other order announcement, Yemen flag carrier Yemenia (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/yemenia.html) firmed an commitment for 10 A320s following a memorandum of understanding signed at the Dubai air show (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/dubai%20air%20show.html).