PDA

View Full Version : Explorer v's Netscape

Non Prescission Approach
8th Jun 2000, 14:06
Currently got IE4 installed on my computer, just wondering if I should get IE5 or Netscape. Also where to download it from would be great.

kopbhoy2
8th Jun 2000, 18:21
Nutscrape is better, and if you only need the browser it's free. http://www.netscape.com has it, just look for the link to downloads...be warned it can take ages.

I have to say though, that IE5 is pretty good as well, get em both and then make up your mind :)

Mycroft
8th Jun 2000, 23:19
If you get one of the numerous computer magazines with one or more demo CDs plastered to the front they should include IE5 and possibly Netscape, it saves download time at least. As kopbhoy says, they're both free so try them out and see which you prefer.

Mice
9th Jun 2000, 03:02
NPA, while Netscape is far more configurable than IE, if you do not need these attributes, stay with what you are comfortable using, the performance difference will not be noticeable. Either will do the job for you.

I would suggest you even stay with IE4 unless there is some reason to change. Computers are the one technology where the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" truly applies.

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

redsnail
12th Jun 2000, 10:44
I use both. I prefer Netscape but my web email proggy won't talk to Netscape so I use IE for that.
So a tip, keep both around for those sorts of problems.

Non Prescission Approach
12th Jun 2000, 15:04
Thanks for all the replies. I'm in the process of downloading Netscape at the moment, and I'll try them both.

Feline
13th Jun 2000, 00:43
Personally agree with previous posts - I have both Netscape 4.6 (preferred browser) and IE5 loaded. Am about to upgrade to Netscape 4.72 (off a magazine cover CD). Be aware too that you can now download Netscape 6 Preview Release. This is probably a reasonably good choice if you are using AOL (because AOL now owns Netscape). However, it according to a a magazine review I read, it doesn't do so good from a performance point of view (compared with 4.72). So I think I will (personally) sit that one out for a while.
I also use Opera on my Toshiba Libretto (very small and very fast - requires 6Mb RAM and 2Mb hard disk space). I notice that it has just been upgraded to version 4.0, but it isn't free - costs about $50. It didn't get hit by the recent LoveBug virus (both Netscape and IE did). Check it out at www.opera.com (http://www.opera.com)

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)