PDA

View Full Version : Qantas once took a moral stand. Believe it, or not...........

speedbirdhouse
16th Jul 2008, 04:48
From Today's SMH.

Qantas dubbed 'cancer kangaroo'

July 16, 2008 - 2:14PM

Anti-smoking lobby groups have attacked a move by Qantas to resume inflight cigarette sales as a "greedy cash grab" at the expense of good health.

The national airline has reintroduced tobacco sales on board this month, almost 10 years after they were stopped.

Legislation prohibits the packs from being advertised in the shopping catalogue but it is legal to stack them on the duty-free trolley and wheel them through the cabin.

A letter recently sent to Qantas staff by management states: "It's vital that duty free carts are taken out into the economy cabin, with the cigarettes displayed prominently on top".

Qantas has defended the move as a response to customer demand, but lobby groups argue it is an unacceptable return to the "bad old days".

"At a time when Australian governments are moving to put tobacco displays out of sight to protect young people in particular, Qantas has gone backwards," said Anne Jones, chief executive of Action on Smoking and Health.

"Retail tobacco display is a powerful form of advertising, especially in association with a highly respected brand name like Qantas, and research shows it normalises and encourages young people to smoke."

She said the group had received several complaints from air host staff concerned they have to "push tobacco as part of their job".

Another group, Quit, joined the criticism, with executive director Fiona Sharkie labelling it a "greedy cash grab".

"International flights are an opportunity for smokers to give up smoking, but having cheap cigarettes promoted to them by Qantas in-flight completely undermines this opportunity," Ms Sharkie said.

"Perhaps the flying kangaroo should be renamed the cancer kangaroo, such is their insistence on the in-flight sale and display of a product that will ultimately kill more than half of long-term users."

But Qantas Group general manager of customer product and services Lesley Grant defended the move, which she said was motivated by passenger demand.

"The availability of cigarettes reflects customer demand," Ms Grant said.

"Regardless of what the product might be, if we see changes in demand we review our product range."

Full service inflight shopping also was offered by Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, she said.

Not so many years ago QF took a moral stand and decided to no longer sell cigarettes on board it's aircraft.

This stand being in line with changing community concern over the damage done to individuals who smoke and also concern over the massive associated health costs that we all ultimately bare.

What is it with the people who run this company??

Everyone understands the need to make money but does this company really NEED to sell these insidious products onboard ?

Surely the space that they take up in the duty free cart could be used for selling something else equally profitable that doesn't kill people.

I applaud the actions of those thinking flight attendants who, when dragging the duty free cart around the aircraft display the cigarette cartons showing their [government mandated] graphic health warnings of deseased lungs and gangrenous feet, facing the passengers:D

When the goons cotton on to what is happening I wonder if they'll put their name to a directive to hide the health warnings.............:yuk::yuk:

mrpaxing
16th Jul 2008, 04:51
something to do with the new board member who comes from the tobacco industry.:{

Skystar320
16th Jul 2008, 05:08
Oh stick it in your pipe and smoke it....

"Pun not intended*

lowerlobe
16th Jul 2008, 05:31
"The availability of cigarettes reflects customer demand,"
Does that mean that the company will increase the leg room and seat pitch because the customers would like it?
...Sorry I forgot that is not a source of positive revenue or even cost neutral.

and now ......apparently Skystar320 thinks they should sell pipes as well......

UPPERLOBE
16th Jul 2008, 05:46
"maybe it has
something to do with the new board member who comes from the tobacco industry".

Ah, if this is in fact true, then all is well because the board really does take an interest. :rolleyes:

Skystar320
16th Jul 2008, 05:52
apparently Skystar320 thinks they should sell pipes as well......

Once again lowerlobe, you fail to get the hint of scarcasm......

tsk tsk tsk

lowerlobe
16th Jul 2008, 06:02
Once again lowerlobe, you fail to get the hint of scarcasm......
Skystar if you read my post more carefully you would see that I understand sarcasm very well as well as being able to spell in fact......but the irony of your last post is that you don't.

Or is scarcasm the latest 'B' grade horror movie from Hollywood....

Angle of Attack
16th Jul 2008, 07:44
Qantas and Morals do not exist in the same sentence anymore, its all about the buck and shareholders. It comes from the top as well, that guy looks like hes been sucking on fags since he was a schoolkid. Like a dried up pprune lol!

newsensation
16th Jul 2008, 08:02
So what does the Breast Cancer Council say about this,,,, and the Qantaslink promotion.... Qantas mainline sell cigarettes and promotes Cancer awareness in Qantaslink:D
A Current Affair... 7:30 Report... etc anyone

stubby jumbo
16th Jul 2008, 11:00
So much for all the Spirit of Qantas rah rah rah-we love "causes" like Women's issues, Indigenous,Starlight Foundation, Good Friday kids flight blah blah blah.:mad::mad:

These buffoons we have running this joint seriously have no morals, scruples or indeed any sense of human dignity.

SHAME ON YOU ALL.(QF mis MANAGEMENT-COUGH !)

Can any one explain to me the logic of flying a couple of cartons of cancer sticks around the globe in these days of trying to reduce weight !!!
What is the dollar return on this -SERVICE (sic) The dollar damage this story has already done in the media in the last 12 hours would add up to thousands of $$$$$.

I will be doing my best to ensure that NOT one carton is ever sold.:(
I have lost 2 close friends over the last 5 years -thanks to this insidious drug.

B A Lert
16th Jul 2008, 11:14
But Qantas Group general manager of customer product and services Lesley Grant defended the move, which she said was motivated by passenger demand.

Let's see the evidence of this demand especially as the incidence of smoking is declining. How can this woman defend an issue that cannot be defended on any account? :*:*

Regardless of what the product might be, if we see changes in demand we review our product range."

Qantas research will show that pax want more legroom, no fuel surcharge, lower fares, better food, punctual flights etc etc as nauseum. These matters must rank higher than selling coffin nails.

Full service inflight shopping also was offered by Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, she said.

So what? Does this make this dopey silly decision correct? Some people murder but is it logical that we should all murder? :ugh::ugh:

lovelondon
16th Jul 2008, 11:32
I am sooo with you on this one stubby.

I refuse to sell cigarettes when I am duty free seller . Too easy. Dont display them on the cart, or if pax do request them , its either we dont sell them or out of stock.

Governments around the world are passing legislation for no smoking in public places. There is no disputing that smoking is addictive and causes illness and death.

I have held the hand of a close relative in their final moments and last gasps before they died of an illness caused by smoking.I cant even stand to touch a carton of cigarettes let alone sell them.

Cant believe that the company would even consider this.

capt.cynical
16th Jul 2008, 11:40
"PROSTITUTES" :E:yuk:

barrheadboy
16th Jul 2008, 11:47
who is this lesley grant ? one of dixon,s managers that actualy care about customers. we will be getting flat beds in cattle class soon.

capt.cynical
16th Jul 2008, 11:55
Refer post 14:ok:

stubby jumbo
16th Jul 2008, 12:34
I have just written an email to Ms Lesley Grant re: this issue.

The more I think about it.......the more this sickens me:yuk:

Its a F---k'n insult to all QF staff who detest smoking. Qantas have the gall to ban smoking in all of our buildings, not in uniform, not on the jet base on and on -rules rules rules.

BUT when there is a chance to make a few meagre bucks -they sell out..... all in the name of SERVICE.

WHAT UTTER CRAP!!!
..you people need to go to BIG W and buy a mirror and long hard look at it for a few hours and ask yourselves the question.

Is it worth it ???????:ugh::ugh:

Dopes.

Ka.Boom
16th Jul 2008, 13:24
Passengers do not request cigarettes.
They have a greater range of cigarettes in airport duty free shops than they can ever hope to carry on an aircraft.
Volume,weight and value of cigarettes dont make them viable.
Six bottles of Coco Chanel take up the same space as a carton Winfield Blue..oe sells for $60 and the other $480
CC will not promote them.... ergo sales of cigarettes will be a failure.
Give it three months and they will be removed.
The people in QF who make these decisions are not particularly bright.
Qantas has all this other crap going on and they do this.....Faaark!!

Tempo
16th Jul 2008, 23:13
Stubby Jumbo.....banning smoking in the workplace is not a QF thing....I think you will find it is the law.

As far as QF selling cigarettes onboard.....they are quite within their right to do so. It's called making money and last time I checked this concept was the basis behind any business. The demand is there so why not take the opportunity. Smokers will either buy duty free cigarettes a) before departure in duty free b) after arrival in duty free or now c) onboard. As far as 'insulting' those staff who detest smoking.....harden up. They are not being forced to smoke the things and it's not like passengers are going to crack open a carton of winnie blues in Row 50 and light up exposing crew to smoke. I dont hear anyone preaching about QF selling duty free alcohol. I mean....that is exactly the same concept. They are both drugs which are both terrible for your health and yet are both acceptable forms in modern society. And news flash.....QF sell alcohol to make money!!!

If what QF is doing is so bad....why aren't you all lobbying the government to ban the selling of cigarettes in Duty free stores/Supermarkets/corner shops/service stations/bottleshops/cigarette machines etc etc...........(they are all trying to make money too....does that make them sellouts???)

breakfastburrito
17th Jul 2008, 00:16
Tempo, your argument is logically sound. However, the grave mistake was to use the pink Dash 8 Breast Cancer aircraft for what would be now viewed as a cynical marketing exercise.
Qantas marketed itself to be concerned for cancer prevention, and now it overturns a long term policy to sell a product that will cause cancer, for profit.
They can't have it both ways.

lowerlobe
17th Jul 2008, 03:16
It's called making money and last time I checked this concept was the basis behind any business. The demand is there so why not take the opportunity.
...Tempo so does that mean they should be able to sell other drugs as well.......just because there is a demand from some and that they would make money from those sales?

Does or should a business have any qualms about what service or goods they provide or is everything open slather.

To have an aircraft painted pink so that they can draw awareness to the fight against cancer and then sell something which has been proven to cause this same disease not raise any questions from you?

Your right about the sale of these goods in various other outlets but prohibition has generally proven to be counter productive.It's true that governments make a lot of money from these sales and that if they were really serious in stopping smoking they would tax them to the hilt making it financially prohibitive to continue smoking.

However for a business to say on one hand that cancer is something that it is concerned about and something they would like to help find a cure for and then on the other hand sell something which is known to be linked to cancer is questionable to say the least.

Wouldn't it be better to advertise the fact that as a business that is so concerned about the fight against cancer ,it will not sell cigarettes on board and distance itself from others who do sell.....and use that as a marketing ploy...

Teal
17th Jul 2008, 04:05
From today's crikey.com.au

Is Qantas giving big tobacco the executive treatment?

Glenn Dyer writes:

Are these two stories connected? Qantas announced yesterday that a new non-executive director had been appointed. Qantas said in a statement that Mr Paul Rayner will fill a casual vacancy on the Qantas board with immediate effect.
The airline said Mr Rayner had recently retired as finance director of British American Tobacco and was previously chief operating officer of British American Tobacco Australasia Ltd. Mr Rayner is also a non-executive director of British energy company Centrica and serves as chairman of Centrica's audit committee.

Qantas chairman Leigh Clifford said Mr Rayner's "substantial financial, operational and international experience will be a valued asset to the Qantas board".

And then there was this story and this AAP story on Sydney Morning Herald (http://redirect.cmailer.com.au/LinkRedirector.aspx?clid=1ef07fc7-ff24-4ecd-a6f4-f1033ed56932&rid=70ac6a9f-9f82-4748-a87c-e55bbfe757f1) website yesterday: Anti-smoking lobby groups have attacked a move by Qantas to resume inflight cigarette sales as a "greedy cash grab" at the expense of good health.
The national airline has reintroduced tobacco sales on board this month, almost 10 years after they were stopped.
Legislation prohibits the packs from being advertised in the shopping catalogue but it is legal to stack them on the duty-free trolley and wheel them through the cabin.
A letter recently sent to Qantas staff by management states: "It's vital that duty free carts are taken out into the economy cabin, with the cigarettes displayed prominently on top" ...
Another group, Quit, joined the criticism, with executive director Fiona Sharkie labelling it a "greedy cash grab".
International flights are an opportunity for smokers to give up smoking, but having cheap cigarettes promoted to them by Qantas in-flight completely undermines this opportunity," Ms Sharkie said.
"Perhaps the flying kangaroo should be renamed the cancer kangaroo, such is their insistence on the in-flight sale and display of a product that will ultimately kill more than half of long-term users."
"Regardless of what the product might be, if we see changes in demand we review our product range."
Is this the sort of "financial, operational and international experience" Qantas is paying Mr Rayner for?