PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to up-date Nortan antivirus please

ANTISKID
14th Mar 2000, 06:20
I recentely bought a Pacard Bell Pentium 111 computer and have been trying to connect to the live up-date icon for the Nortan Ativirus, but the line just keeps ringing out without connecting. Can anybody please tell me how to get the up-dates?

Thanks in advance :)

Slasher
14th Mar 2000, 09:08
Anti.
1. Click on START button on taskbar.
2. Then go PROGRAMS and across to Norton Antivirus.
3. Then go across to LiveUPdate-NortonAntivirus. Click on it.
4. Ensure the dialogue box has INTERNET as your conection.
If it doesnt respond it usualy means either your server or Nortons is very busy. Cant say Ive ever had a problem with mine.

InFinRetirement
14th Mar 2000, 14:10
Do you really want to get updates AT?

I wouldn't have Norton near my machine - past experience caused it to slow down, crash and I dumped it. Now it's bliss. Only virus I get is herpes now! Least I think that's what she said it was!!

Feline
14th Mar 2000, 23:40
Anti,

Basically agree with Slasher, but I find it helps to be logged onto the Internet before you invoke Live-update (my version of Norton AntiVirus doesn't seem to know how to dial correctly).

I download new virus signatures about once a week - it's usually about 2 - 2.5Mb. Well worthwhile - it nails infected MS Word .doc files stone dead as soon as they hit my reader queue - usually catch two or three a month. Make sure that you enable it to check your incoming mail and attachments.

IFR: Are you referring to Norton Utilities or Norton AntiVirus? Agree that Utilities can cause a few problems - best left disbled so that they're there when you need 'em (Speedisk is much better than MS's Defrag); But I've never had any problems with Norton AntiVirus.

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

InFinRetirement
15th Mar 2000, 00:06
Thing is!

I activated the anti-virus in BIOS which checks at startup and at all other times. I have never had a virus except....

FL310
15th Mar 2000, 00:51
you never had a virus....mmmhhh, you have the norton virus.
As Feline said, it doesn't know how to dial and it doesn't know many other things....
Sorry for sounding rude, Norton is not the one you want...

mackone
15th Mar 2000, 01:42
ANTIVIRUS, I'll give you some good advice. Norton is distributed free with a lot of new computers these days, they called it 'bundled' software. Your Norton will expire after 6 or 12 months, but it can be updated via the net as per other posts.
TIP: Norton is not very good, all Norton products interfere with the running of a PC.
The majority of features offered by Norton are in a lot of cases already imbedded in a Win98/Win2000 systems, it's just a matter of reading the book or learning how to use/find them. (No insult intended)

Use 'VET' for anti virus protection, it's simply the best and has an auto update feature, available online, its cheap if you don't order the CD version, check them out at www.vet.com.au (http://www.vet.com.au)

Never received a single virus in six years!!
Best wishes

ANTISKID
16th Mar 2000, 04:52
Just finished downloading the Live Update :)

Easy when you know how!!

Thanks a million for your help. :>