PDA

View Full Version : Chanchangi Runs Off Runway at DNPO

MamaPut
15th Jul 2008, 18:15
A Boeing 737-200, 5N-BIG, of Chanchangi Airlines over-ran the runway when attempting a landing after a heavy rain storm yesterday evening. The flight, reported as carrying 47 passengers and crew skidded off the runway into a field. Supposedly there was no structural damage to the aircraft and 2 passengers were treated for minor injuries. Incredibly Airport Manager Godknows Ugwuzor described it as a "minor incident that involved no loss of life." :ugh::confused:

The airfield has been closed for much of today after this minor incident, having re-opened only a few months ago after being closed for more than a year for facilities to be upgraded :{

Rani
15th Jul 2008, 18:53
Chanchangi does it again. Either (1)the pilot had no business on a flooded runway; (3) the runway design is still faulty; or (3)the pilot is downright incompetent. If I'm not mistaken, it's their 3rd over-run in 3 years.

Right. Do we expect a report in the next 100 years? :(

Tokunbo
15th Jul 2008, 19:04
Rani,

Why do you need a report - after all the airport manager himself said that it was merely a 'minor incident'. It just be small thing for aircraft to over run the runway, nah be so? :ugh::ugh::ugh: The airport was only closed for a day this time, so no problem :rolleyes:

JABAG
15th Jul 2008, 20:35
Aircraft has just been removed from the field onto the ramp.
hopfully airport will he re-opened in the morning

There was heavy rain at the airport yesterday evening, Aero, Arik Airfrance etc landed and deperted .
ATC was a mess. just confused the situation.
Heavy rain, new runway, no lights, just before sunset.......!

harriewillem
17th Jul 2008, 10:31
I always like the Pprune, but what’s funny…

Everybody is bashing Nigeria/ Arik / Virgin / whatever airline, and serious incidents like this are not discussed…

chuks
17th Jul 2008, 14:01
Way back when, there was a high-profile incident in Lagos when a Nigeria Airways A310 ended up in the mud off the end of 19L. The local papers were full of praise for the heroic crew attempting to land in such near-impossible conditions! That they had written off 25% of the nation's A310 fleet through a chain of silly mistakes, well...

Another one bit the dust (well, mud really but never mind that now) right there at DNPO, attempting to land in a tropical downpour. It was finally repaired but it certainly looked a bit second-hand after a trip through the monsoon ditch. Again, this did not call for any searching inquiries.

I have no information about the facts of this latest incident but the same mindset seems to be operating as the one I always knew... As long as there are not bodies scattered all over the place, hey, what is the problem? It is just another incident. Get the "boys" to scrub the mud off and you are good to go. Who would want to upset the status quo with any awkward questions about operating standards, whether the new runway drains adequately and has enough grip, whether the aircraft's brakes and tires were in good condition... all that boring stuff that such an incident would provoke in the First World.

Of course going through all the palaver might prevent future loss of life but in the context of modern Nigeria does anyone seriously expect that to occur?

You know the sort of stupid questions this raises, such as, "Is Chanchangi really an 'airline' in the full sense of the term? That is to say, they have an in-depth safety program, for instance? They can even afford such a thing?"

"Does the NCAA have enough inspectors to supervise all the carriers now operating in Nigeria, do you think?" There is another good one, eh? By "inspector" here I don't mean someone's nephew but a person who is trained and motivated to do his or her safety-critical job. Sort of like Mrs Chikwe, only better!

My loose and partially-informed opinions in this are not worth much but what does ICAO think of such incidents? I hope they keep an eye on whether this one and similar ones get properly looked into. Nothing against this or that Nigerian operator, just that it might save a few lives to stick to the rules. (I got "Nigerian" and "stick to the rules" in the same sentence there. Next we try our hand at stand-up comedy, I think. Wish me luck.)