PDA

View Full Version : C210 at Well 33.

the wizard of auz
15th Jul 2008, 14:22
I was leafing through the latest Flight safety magazine, and noticed a reference to a C210 crash at Well 33 in April. Anyone have any details on this accident?.

kair1234
15th Jul 2008, 14:32
yeah saw the same thing, im thinking it could be a survey aircraft, i remember last year there was one out there for a long period of time, maybe it was back there doing some more work?

the wizard of auz
15th Jul 2008, 15:03
seems that was the case. I recall it now after a little prompting. Fugro I believe.

bullamakanka
16th Jul 2008, 11:14
This is a bit of a thread hijack but........

Why is there a picture of the future pilot of tomorrow on the cover, with a loose tie and her top button undone?

Maybe I am a little old fashioned but when I wear a tie at work, a training organisation, or getting a photo taken, I do it up.

Why would the mag run with that picture?

b

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th Jul 2008, 11:18
Why would the mag run with that picture?

Cause the rag is largely disconnected from the realities of aviation!

Dr :8

aileron_69
17th Jul 2008, 03:29
Anyway, back to the 210 at Well 33, it was indeed a Fugro 210 Surveyer. Ran out of motion lotion, not sure if it was fuel exhaustion or finger trouble with the tank selector but either way, thats where it ended up.

Brian Abraham
17th Jul 2008, 03:35
Why is there a picture of the future pilot of tomorrow on the cover, with a loose tie and her top button undone
Probably because they thought you may scoff at the formal attire. Jeans on hips, crutch at knee level or below, baseball cap on backwards, metal ware in nose, ear, eye brow, lips, chin etc :p

nick2007
17th Jul 2008, 03:41
If this is the crash i'm thinking of, I believe there was a thread not so long ago about this with more details. VH IDM ??

ZEEBEE
17th Jul 2008, 05:44
If this is the crash i'm thinking of, I believe there was a thread not so long ago about this with more details. VH IDM ??

No, IDM was a different one up near the Gulf of C. It also was on survey and featured in the Accideent summary.

The Well33 was a Fugro machine and was one of three they experienced in a very short space of time.

All this indicates is that survey flying demands constant vigilance where even mild complacency can have disastrous outcomes.

Desert Flower
17th Jul 2008, 11:11
Was it BNZ? I know that came to grief recently after having an air/fuel ratio imbalance! ;)

DF.

ZEEBEE
17th Jul 2008, 14:16
Was it BNZ? I know that came to grief recently after having an air/fuel ratio imbalance!

So it would appear.

aileron_69
17th Jul 2008, 15:19
Its not a perfect world, but all I can say is, the operator is there for safety, get them to be double check on your fuel tank changes and then there is 2 pairs of eyes watching the fuel/air ratio.:ok:

ZEEBEE
18th Jul 2008, 02:33
Its not a perfect world, but all I can say is, the operator is there for safety, get them to be double check on your fuel tank changes and then there is 2 pairs of eyes watching the fuel/air ratio.

Sorry Aileron, these days it's very rare to have an operator on board.
Most 210 operations are pilot only. Also, not sure about the aircraft in question, but most survey 210's are fitted with selectors whereby the feeds draw from both tanks.
It is supposed to alleviate the need for switching, but does impose different fuel management strategies than with the original L/R only selector.
When you run out on "Both", you've REALLY runout.
At least with individual selectors, it is easier to mangae the fuel.

aileron_69
18th Jul 2008, 06:10
Yeah a 'both' tank selector would be handy, we dont have them in our planes but we do have a computer monkey sitting next to us. I thought it was only UTS who dont carry anyone on board with them? Not sure about Fugro?

ZEEBEE
18th Jul 2008, 14:43
Yeah a 'both' tank selector would be handy, we dont have them in our planes but we do have a computer monkey sitting next to us. I thought it was only UTS who dont carry anyone on board with them? Not sure about Fugro?

Nope, both Fugro and Thomson's fly without operators as a matter of course, except in the circumstances where calibration or troubleshooting flights take place.
Generally, where an operator is carried, they're asleep by the time you need to change tanks.

Good airmanship would suggest that every end of line should be a good time to review engine temps, fuel state etc.

aileron_69
19th Jul 2008, 06:52
Oh what?? No operator, thats no fun!! I get mine to read me stories, fill me in on all the gossip and feed me minties to keep me amused on line :ok:
Afterall, its moments like these you need minties!!

Murray Cod
21st Jul 2008, 08:07
A good operator should have a large CD collection , a low gas output and good mouth hygene.
MC

unpressurised
21st Jul 2008, 09:45
the story is the pilot flew out of broome full tanks did some surveying on the way aparently over 5hrs from take off to crash down realising that the plane wasnt leaned continued as if it never happened, turned finals and ran the engine dry
the AC crash landed about 10 metres from the threshold and came to rest on the cleared dirt before the runway the mains colapsed and a fair bit of twisting to the airframe, the pilot walked away and all equipment was striped from the aircraft and it layed there for a couple of weeks
when i was coming in to land i thought it was an aircraft about to roll and had to go round thinking it wasnt on frequency
i got a couple of photos on my phone but havent got the software to upload them