PDA

View Full Version : Copying files from win 98 h/d to win2k h/d

tony draper
25th Jul 2001, 23:22
Got a dual p3500,
Still got most of the stuff I want to keep on the win98 disc, can I install the 2k h/d in the machine as a slave and copy my files across fron the 98 disc.
They are both fat 32,did try this a while back with disasterous results, dont know what went wrong, had the win2k disc as master installed the win98 disc as slave and it totaly screwed up the windows on the 98 disc, had to format and reload windows.
Any body tried this?will be greatful for any advice.

spannersatcx
26th Jul 2001, 18:25
As W2K and W98 are two completely different operating systems I guess you would have to use a bootmanager of some sorts to boot into one system or the other. Remember W2k is an upgrade! to nt not W9x. :D

tony draper
26th Jul 2001, 20:02
No ,I don't mean a dual boot sys Mr S, its a dual pentium system with two p3500 cpu's, the machine only uses the two cpu's when I stick the disk with 2k in the machine.
Unfortunatly most of the stuff I've downloadd over the last couple of years , patches,prog, updates ect,is on the 98 disc.
Not sure what happened last time normaly I stick whater disk I want to use in the machine by itself, ie the 98 for my flight sims ect, or the 2k for graphics, depends what i'm doing.
I put the 2k disk in as master, the 98 as slave,in order to copy them across, I think the 2k disk wrote something onto the 98 disc, and completely poxed it up.
:confused:

Tartan Gannet
26th Jul 2001, 23:30
In the beginning I had W98SE on this laptop, then changed to Win ME( Absolute Pants!) :mad: Then last week installed W2K Professional. To date no problems whatsoever.

(BTW in the very beginning it was DOS 3.3 for me, aye those were the days!) Never really took to W3.11, first Windows machine I bought used W95 then upgraded to W98

Hope all okey now on your machine. Havent been to "The Toon" for a long time, I suppose it has changed beyond recognition.

tony draper
26th Jul 2001, 23:31
Yeh Mr TG, started with dos 3 myself, then a idiot nephew persuaded me to go to dr dos,those that whine about microsoft should have had a go at that operating system.
Built a whole load of different systems over the years.
Then I decided upgrading every six months was a mugs game, so I sought advice,"well Mr Draper, intell will not be making cpu's much faster than the p3 500", so draper decides to build a dual p3 500, for some future proofing
So the plan was to buy a single 500 cpu plus dual m/b, them when win2k comes out to purchase another p3 500, hopefully much cheaper by then,"Oh no Mr Draper, both cpu's must be of the same stepping number" arrgghhh!!!, so purchased second p3 500, this was the fastest thing out there then, so I had to pay big bucks.
If I ever run into that tw*t again he's in for a biffing.
So now I'm stuck with a dual p3-500 overclocked to 560, 256 meg ram, Geforce2 g/card, and its way to slow.
Most of my mates are running 1.4 gig cpu's with the sh*t overclocked out of them, I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade again I suppose. :confused:

PS You would probably not recognise the Quayside now, looks real posh, prefered it when it was a working river myself.
The Big Market still there also, full of drunken tatooed, shaven headed mutants at night now, and the men look just as bad.

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Tinstaafl
27th Jul 2001, 22:04
T.D.,

Installing Win2K onto the second disk, without removing the 'Active' flag on the old HD, may have been the cause of your troubles.

When the disk is partititioned, one of the partitions must be marked 'Active' to install Windoze.

In a multi-HD system, only a single disk can have an active partition at any time.

I ran into this problem after upgrading my laptops disk. I removed the old disk, installed & partitioned the new disk, installed Win98 onto the new HD etc. All went perfectly well. The single disk setup worked fine.a

I got a caddy to allow the old HD to be used as a second disk via the PC-Card slot.

Wouldn't work. Would power up the HD when the PC-Card was inserted but then the system would lock up after emitting a cold boot BIOS POST beep.

The solution was to temporarily reinstall the old HD and use FDisk or similar program to remove the 'Active' flag. I used Ranish Partition Manager because it's more capable than M$ crippled equivalent.

Once the HD was back in its new home & without the active flag set, the system performs perfectly with the disk seen as a PC-Card ATA device.

Handy for backups.

--------------

PS: Anyone want to buy my highly spec-ed XT clone? 10MHz 8088, full complement of RAM (640Kb), 32Mb HD, 720K FD& 360K FD, EGA screen. IBM DOS 4.0 or MS-DOS 6.22 included. :D

[ 27 July 2001: Message edited by: Tinstaafl ]