PDA

View Full Version : Article in local paper of shortages!!!!

wilky
15th Jul 2008, 10:52
I've had a look in google but cant find the article, however this was the jist of it. It was in Dundee courier

They interviewed a 23 year old guy, who has just finnished OAT. He is now with BA doing his TR for A320. The article was basically saying that there is a shortage of pilots due to the cost of training, and the lack of funding from airlines to pay for any training. They quoted that a pilot will spend on average £100k to gain his licence(inc TR etc) then take on a first officers job for a salary of 25K. They compared this to a lorry driver, who spends 2k on licence and can straight away earn 45k driving tankers, granted that job satisfaction will vary hugely. They commented that pilots now have to even buy their own uniform!

Another factor they concluded was the reluctance of RAF pilots to move over to the civillian industry, high oil prices and as mentioned, cost of training.

They really should have done some research before publishing this article, and a full page one at that, training costs do not matter, people are willing to get into horrific amounts of debt to chase a dream job- not me modular and slowly right now, dont want to complete training until the cycle has turned, if it ever does.

They made a good point, with rising fuel prises will flying become a luxury as it once was only for the well off, rather than for everyone! Who knows.

Dont want this to be doom and gloom, just thought i'd share what the non aviation type are being informed.

INNflight
15th Jul 2008, 11:04
They quoted that a pilot will spend on average £100k to gain his licence(inc TR etc)

If one feels like he has to be in the most fancy FTO around and buy a TR after that it might come close. However that's not valid for others as we know.
I pay close to 30k pounds for CPL IFR and ATPL. Not doing nipping champs during my days off tho :ok:

A shame that some employers consider buying a TR as taken for granted nowadays. Read a job description for SolidAir (Dutch op) with the byline "be prepared to pay 40,000 euros for type-rating and other training costs" :ouch:

BerksFlyer
15th Jul 2008, 15:31
There is no shortage of people with an fATPL and 200 TT.

wheelie my boeing
15th Jul 2008, 16:41
Nope, no shortage. But then again the press get most things wrong when it comes to aviation. Plus to say that new joiners get £25,000 is not true. At good ol' BA they start on approx £45,000, and thats SSP's too! DEP is more like £60,000 I believe starting salary. And, of course, a truck driver will most likely not get much of a payrise in his lifetime. Pilots on the other hand do. And using BA as an example again, the final salary WITHOUT becoming a TC or manager will be £140,000 plus the £15,000 flight/duty pay etc... So you are looking at potentially £155,000 per annum. I appreciate that is not the same now in many other airlines, but it is what a fairly large proportion of British pilots receive. Spend £100,000 on training? Yup. Many do, many don't. Either way can work to your advantage. No BA mister mister if you haven't been on an integrated course. But then you could still join later on in your career, so if you ARE successful later on with BA then you still end up with a good job, good salary and good lifestyle!
Its all just more press nonsense... those who are not properly informed should stay quiet. :ooh:

tupues
15th Jul 2008, 23:25
BA SSP is £31000 basic

XL5
16th Jul 2008, 11:16
They compared this to a lorry driver, who spends 2k on licence and can straight away earn 45k driving tankers, granted that job satisfaction will vary hugely....

Yes, but a cynic could well point out that the tanker driver will probably experience less disappointment and career frustration along with demonstrably retaining the ability to flex industrial muscle to protect terms and conditions of employment.

Neophyte pilots ending up as road-kill on the airline highway may perhaps retrospectively conclude that a tanker driver is, after all, an OK thing to be.

wheelie my boeing
16th Jul 2008, 14:32
You are quite right Tupues, BA SSP basic is £31,015.
£11 per hour flight pay plus £2.78 I think duty pay per hour...
BA SSP's in their first year receive approx £45,000.

Mercenary Pilot
16th Jul 2008, 15:06
The article was basically saying that there is a shortage of pilots due to the cost of training, and the lack of funding from airlines to pay for any training.Ahhh that little gem.... I think it was invented 10 mins after Wilbur and Orville first took to the skies. :rolleyes:

ix_touring
16th Jul 2008, 21:22
This phrase "shortage of pilots" is rather like the American chestnut "right to bear arms".... ITs always quoted without the second part:

Shortage of pilots.... with Tr/ToT/>500 hours etc

and

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Fresh fATPL’s seem to want to leave school and drive a big jet…. With nothing in between.

They made ref to the shortage in Flight this week too.... and the Chinese are enforcing "life time contracts" to prevent experienced crews jumping airline for extra cash...

iX

tupues
16th Jul 2008, 22:07
Fresh fATPL’s seem to want to leave school and drive a big jet…. With nothing in between

What else are they meant to do other than pay another 6-7 thousand pounds for an instructor rating? Buy 700hrs so they can apply to fly small charter? Its easier to get an interview to 'fly a big jet' than to get one with a small company (unless you're mates with the chief pilot...)