PDA

View Full Version : VC10 for sale at Fairford.

Hartington
15th Jul 2008, 07:36
As the VC10 taxied out at Fairford yesterday it had a hand written sign in the rearmost cockpit window facing the crowd line:

FOR SALE ONE CAREFUL OWNER

What, if any, plans are there to preserve one of these when they are retired?

Hartington
15th Jul 2008, 14:29
It just occurred to me. They all had a previous civvy life.

Twitcher
15th Jul 2008, 14:50
What, if any, plans are there to preserve one of these when they are retired?

Isn't there one example on display at Duxford?

forget
15th Jul 2008, 15:14
They all had a previous civvy life.

Tilt! ..............

Wycombe
15th Jul 2008, 15:15
Sorry, Hartington, no they didn't.

The formerly "shiny" 10's of 10 Sqn (originally known as VC10 C Mk.1's), I think originally 13 in number, were built and delivered new to the RAF, in the 1967/68 timeframe.

They are a hybrid of the Standard and Super VC10's, with the shorter fuselage of the former, and the bigger wing of the latter. This was to meet an MoD spec that they had to be able to operate out of certain "hot and/or high" airfields in the former colonies.

The pure tankers (only K3's and K4's left now) were all previously in airline service, and have the longer fuselage, as they were all "super's".

Would be great to think one will be preserved in 2013, or whenever, they are finally pensioned off, but if you think a Vulcan is expensive to operate....

OLNEY2d
17th Jul 2008, 14:56
Wycombe correct me if I'm wrong...

Am fairly certain the RAF marque also sported the uprated engines from the civillian 'Super' variant too? or perhaps at least some of them did ?

An ex-BA pilot I know, who did a brief stint on the standard civillian VC10, once got a chance to handle the RAF version; he said the whole experience was a bit like being given a quick drive of the GT version of your car and then being asked to get back in your 1.3 ltr base model and drive it home.

He reckoned it went like the clappers (comparatively speaking)

Cheers

forget
17th Jul 2008, 15:09
See HERE (http://www.vc10.net/History/RAFVC10s.html)

The type 1106 that the RAF eventually ordered was different in many ways compared to the Standard VC10s that had been built until then. It had the fuselage length of the Standard but incorporated many changes that were designed for the Super VC10, such as the fin fuel tank and the uprated Conway engines

PS. Interesting tale HERE (http://www.vc10.net/History/incidents_and_accidents.html#Navigation_error_over_the_North _Atlantic) I was onboard the aircraft at the time. The guy sitting next to me, who knew everything about everything, suddenly said 'There's land down there and there shouldn't be'. Yeah, right. :hmm: Happens he was right.

The VC10 pounds powerfully through the inky darkness of the early morning. Cods. It was daylight when we left Cottesmore - and daylight, naturally, when we landed - a bit light on fuel.

Contacttower
17th Jul 2008, 15:22
FOR SALE ONE CAREFUL OWNER

How much do they want for it? :}