PDA

View Full Version : One year old toddler dies on Gulf Air flight

.Aero
15th Jul 2008, 01:44
Very sad news of a one year old girl who died on a Gulf Air flight enroute to India in Bahrain's press (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=223138&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=31117) this morning. My deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends.

Yes the child had an underlying condition, but did any of Gulf Air's decisions contribute to the child's death?

Does anyone know if a medical emergency was declared?

Mr Yousuf said the cabin crew insisted Fatima's medical equipment be placed in the overhead lockers until after the plane took off. He also stated the airline's cabin crew appeared to know nothing about her in-flight requirements.

He said his wife was so distressed at the situation that she wanted to disembark before take off but the crew persuaded her not to.

"Gulf Air did everything wrong," said the 45-year-old businessman, who lives in Riffa.

"The staff told me they did not know a sick baby was coming.
"They put them in the middle of the plane and afterwards brought them to the front."

Gulf Air officials said an internal investigation was underway to establish whether anyone was to blame for the tragedy.

boiler
15th Jul 2008, 07:21
Sympathies of course, but too many unclear facts are surrounding this story. I doubt if it is the responsibility of GF to take care and install the medical equipment. Wasn't this the job of the medical staff who was accompanying the family on their trip? What has the middle of the aircraft have anything to do with the death of the child? Why did the medical staff allow the child to travel if she was in such a bad condition? The Arabic version (on the website) quoted the mother as saying they entered the aircraft and found all child's the medicines were on the floor thrown by GF staff (seems to me some major exaggeration happening here). Too many questions, very little answers.

Mephistopheles
16th Jul 2008, 11:47
My smypathies to the family. As to the reports in the press. Firstly an incubator can only be fitted to certain seat areas of the aircraft. Secondly at the end of the day the parents have to take the responsibility of for the well being of the sick person since they sign a waver that they cannot hold the airline responsible. Also they must be accompanied by a medical practionner who is responsible for looking after the patient & the medication. As to the mother wanting to get off I can assure you that most, if not all of our Captains would be very happy maybe, even relieved for the family to get off. Unfortaunately it seems to be the standard problem in our part of the world that no one wants to take responsibilty for their kids when something goes wrong.

midseal
17th Jul 2008, 13:06
Hey Meph...(whatever ur tag is) , A one year old in an incubator makes no sense.... So what u talkin about WILLIS? Nevertheless, sad news indeed.:(

Mephistopheles
17th Jul 2008, 16:07
Newspapers say that the poor girl was in an incubator.
</title> </head> <body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"> <div align="left"> <table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" id="table1"> <tr> <td valign=top height=800> <div (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/arc_Articles.asp?Article=222956&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=31115)

midseal I suggest you you read all the facts available before making comments.:}

Aslak
17th Jul 2008, 18:28
My deepest sympathies for the family.

Since the medical crew was travelling with her and she was in the incubator, I am sure all the required equipment was well in use.
If not, I would be very surprised.

411A
18th Jul 2008, 01:22
Did anyone consider...a one year old with a severe medical condition certainly does not belong on an airplane in the first place.
Better in a hospital where proper care could be provided.

Perhaps the parents...severely misinformed, or perhaps nuts.
Suspect the latter.

.Aero
18th Jul 2008, 01:48
According to the papers, the "professionals" at Bahrain's Ministry of Health said she was fit to fly, and her special in flight requirements were sent over to Gulf Air.