PDA

View Full Version : Would seem that a RIAT move is possibly in the offing.

NutLoose
14th Jul 2008, 20:11
See

BBC NEWS | England | Gloucestershire | Air show may transfer to new home (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7506082.stm)

Now where could they move it? Somewhere the weather this time of year is warm, there is a considerable amount of Aircraft deployed and the sun is often shining....:rolleyes:

If you can't bring Mohammed to the Mountain, perhaps bring the Mountain to Mohammed :oh:

Alber Ratman
14th Jul 2008, 20:43
The role demo would be outstanding!:ok:

buoy15
14th Jul 2008, 21:58
Ermm ISK? +22, dry and sunny all weekend:ok:

minigundiplomat
14th Jul 2008, 22:06
Ermm ISK? +22, dry and sunny all weekend

I think Musa Qala would be a better option.

The locals are friendlier and easier to understand. It's also easier to get to.

KeepItTidy
15th Jul 2008, 00:26
I think Musa Qala would be a better option.

The locals are friendlier and easier to understand. It's also easier to get to.

You are obviousley below the Watford gap so I will say one thing , go ramm it up yer pie hole ya poof , I take offence to that :}

billynospares
15th Jul 2008, 09:18
It was a damn good show for 2 years at boscombe down

CHINOOKER
15th Jul 2008, 09:38
Is this just not a case of "tactical arm twisting" by TP to get the yanks to allow car parking on base during RIAT??.

GeeRam
15th Jul 2008, 09:59
It was a damn good show for 2 years at Boscombe Down

Agreed.....best venue since the Greenham days from a visiters point of view. :ok:

Strictly Jungly
15th Jul 2008, 10:07
Applying Service logic..............there is only one place they could move to;

St Mawgan..................:eek:

scarecrow450
15th Jul 2008, 10:10
Cottesmore was very good and easier to get to

goudie
15th Jul 2008, 10:16
What about somewhere near the M25? That's a brilliant car park!

Mick Strigg
15th Jul 2008, 11:01
I hear that RIAT were interested in taking over Yeovilton Air Day a couple of years ago. Perhaps the interest may be rekindled?

Seaking93
15th Jul 2008, 11:13
I hear that RIAT were interested in taking over Yeovilton Air Day a couple of years ago. Perhaps the interest may be rekindled?

Perhaps AHA could sell the contract to them:)

Boscombe would get my vote, right beside a main trunk road, not too far from VL, however as mentioned above, is this a ploy to get on base parking back or do the USAFE really want RIAT off to pastures new.

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jul 2008, 12:35
Boscombe would get my vote, right beside a main trunk road, not too far from VL, however as mentioned above, is this a ploy to get on base parking back or do the USAFE really want RIAT off to pastures new.

It would get my vote too, but out of interest what benefit does the USAFE have from hosting the RIAT at Fairford ? PR ? Financial ?

Regards

SHJ

Tricorn
15th Jul 2008, 12:41
Duxford is next to the M11:ok:

NutLoose
15th Jul 2008, 13:13
Or just a short hop away if your names Sir John.....

Or how to turn Black 6 into Black 9 in one easy lesson...

airborne_artist
15th Jul 2008, 13:17
Duxford is next to the M11

And the runway is exactly half the length of Fairfords's - just 1500m. The M11 goes through the E end of the original runway, and the Concorde at the museum had to be flown in before the M11 was built in August 1977.

You'd need a lot more than 1500m to stage RIAT.

Vulcan 903
15th Jul 2008, 13:30
Wilson Airport, Nairobi - perfect, good wx, low traffic and you can hold in the Rift Valley.:ok:

Closer to home - Boscombe was good, straight off the A303 and you are in.

Strictly Jungly
15th Jul 2008, 13:49
My vote is still St Mawgan, with its International Airport, improved A30 links, endless accommodation (if you like caravans), great food, (if you like overpriced Fish Restaurants and Pasties) and a whole county of pointyheads that would willingly attend to see the bright shiny things.

Excellent weather at all times too.

extpwron
15th Jul 2008, 14:51
St Mawgan Egdg 151429z 28010kt 6000 3500w -dz Sct002 Ovc003 15/15 Q1029 Amb Tempo Sct001 Red

minigundiplomat
15th Jul 2008, 16:51
Cosford would be a natural contender. Midlands, just off the M54, plenty of space, the museum next door and plenty of trainees to work as car park/security attendants. Even got Shawbury nearby to park the display aircraft.

Not my choice, but it ticks many of the boxes.

ZH875
15th Jul 2008, 17:11
Ah, but Cosford has that wonderful railway embankment at the end of the runway.:eek:

Best location must be Alconbury, lots of hardstandings for aircraft, long runway, easy access (M11, A1, A14) and only the deaf musician Evelyn Glennie to complain about the noise.

TEEEJ
15th Jul 2008, 17:18
A bit of good news for those who bought a FRIAT ticket package.

'Farnborough International Airshow has offered members of the Friends of the Royal International Air Tattoo (FRIAT) free entry to the airshow on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July 18-July 20.

To gain entry, FRIAT members must be carrying their FRIAT 08 membership card.

However, anyone accompanying the FRIAT member must follow the normal arrangements for entry to Farnborough International 2008.

FRIAT members who have already purchased Farnborough International 2008 tickets, will not be eligible to claim a refund.'

TJ

buoy15
15th Jul 2008, 18:07
And that's on a good day
The traditional Azores summer high has moved south and a new high has established south of Greenland - hence the jet streams have moved south affecting the Oceanics track system entry/exit points
In simple terms - ISK are now enjoying what the Cornish janners always excpected- "sunshine" - the traditional northern summer lows are now located further south and tracking east, providing sufficient rainfall to flush the streets of that toilet called Newquay, and that make I larrf:ok:
According to the weather guessers, it will continue into the future

Niche in the market! - IAT at EGQK, EGQS or EGQL, as a 7 day event package has to be the way ahead
2 days travel time (based on London) - come up the east coast, go down the west - see the countryside
2 days of Airshow in clear skies with acres of parking and no road congestion
3 days to relax playing golf, hillwalking, windsurfing, sailing, waterskiing, distillery visits, highland games events and historical exploration, rounded off every evening with traditional food and ale, even deep fried Mars Bars and chips
Oh! The Pipe Bands - yes - we can accommodate parties of Plumbers as well:ok:

exscribbler
15th Jul 2008, 18:48
Scampton? Leeming? Cottesmore? Wittering? Anywhere in reasonable travelling distance from here but north of Leicester.

It's not right that the b:mad:y southerners and the f:mad:g Jocks get all the fun. :ugh:

splitbrain
15th Jul 2008, 19:23
There probably isn't anywhere near enough hardstanding at Cosford and would you get the big stuff in with the embankment at one end? The place also has its own access problems; yeah the M54 takes you to within a mile of the entrance, but from there its on-site parking through a couple of entrances. At Cosford's own airshow a vistor lockout quite often occurs, expecially if the weather is favourable.

NutLoose
15th Jul 2008, 19:27
St Athans used to manage some mean Battle of Britain days in it's past, but is a bit off the beaten track..........

Sl4yer
15th Jul 2008, 19:49
I agree with scarecrow450. Cottesmore was very well organised (much better to get in and out of) - better than Fairford. Not nearly as far south either!

Is Cosford really long enough for a show of this standing? I doubt it.

dead_pan
15th Jul 2008, 19:50
What about Brize? Or merge Farnborough trade show with DSEi at Excel and let RIAT run flying display, corporate hoshpitality, dodgy burger stalls etc at Farnborough (save on the fuel bill and avoids fixture congestion for the spotters). The flying display there is always a bit of a distraction when your trekking around those endless halls.

mr fish
15th Jul 2008, 20:11
i hear the weather is good for flying in afghanistan at this time of year+ taxpayers who make the journey get to see the aircraft in action :O

taxydual
15th Jul 2008, 20:28
Exscribbler is spot on with Leeming.

Next to the A1, accessible for both Southerners (providing the Customs people at Wetherby allow you into our County) and far Northerners (Scotch Corner Customs for you).

Good size runway, ample hardstandings/disused runways for car parking/static aircraft, excellent local breweries and the Northern HAS site a wow for the party!!

Alber Ratman
15th Jul 2008, 20:55
Basrah...

The role demo would be outstanding!

:D:D:D:D

ATCO Fred
15th Jul 2008, 20:58
St Athans used to manage some mean Battle of Britain days in it's past, but is a bit off the beaten track..........

AND......with a commercial airport within spiting distance - no chance what so ever!

Exscribbler is spot on with Leeming.

Next to the A1, accessible for both Southerners (providing the Customs people at Wetherby allow you into our County) and far Northerners (Scotch Corner Customs for you).

Good size runway, ample hardstandings/disused runways for car parking/static aircraft, excellent local breweries and the Northern HAS site a wow for the party!!

AND......with a commercial airport within a longer spiting distance - no chance what so ever!

This process has been done before (1999 for RIAT 2000&2001 at RAF Cottesmore) - I think it more likely they would go back to plan B rather than than having to invent plan C.

BUT Is this just not a case of "tactical arm twisting" by TP to get the yanks to allow car parking on base during RIAT??. I think this is nearer the mark.

Alber Ratman
15th Jul 2008, 21:17
Marham. BAE Systems can supply the hangar for the hangar party!

taxydual
15th Jul 2008, 21:31
ATCO Fred

No real problems.

The Teesside inbounds will just have to route off the POL to TD as they should anyway. It's just the lack of Leeming traffic that gives them the direct route (and saves them fuel, of which the pax have paid for).

Plus the fact that Leeming still has a MATZ, has a prior history of air display activity (OK, not to RIAT size), and I'm a shareholder in a local brewery. Doh, what a giveaway.

:ok:

ATCO Fred
15th Jul 2008, 21:56
ATCO Fred

No real problems.

The Teesside inbounds will just have to route off the POL to TD as they should anyway. It's just the lack of Leeming traffic that gives them the direct route (and saves them fuel, of which the pax have paid for).

Plus the fact that Leeming still has a MATZ, has a prior history of air display activity (OK, not to RIAT size), and I'm a shareholder in a local brewery. Doh, what a giveaway.

Ah...for the normal 16 pint fee I'll do the airspace consultation!:ok:

NutLoose
15th Jul 2008, 21:56
Well then the M6, The Mighty Jaguar managed it.... cough, cough, Plastic 1000 pounders and all..........

Perhaps that is the cure for Hot and High in sunnier climes, hang a couple of Plastic 1000 pounders on the outboard pylons to impress the coalition :p

GeeRam
15th Jul 2008, 22:33
Ah, but Cosford has that wonderful railway embankment at the end of the runway.

Best location must be Alconbury, lots of hardstandings for aircraft, long runway, easy access (M11, A1, A14) and only the deaf musician Evelyn Glennie to complain about the noise.

As mentioned Cosford is a complete non-starter in terms of space among other things....:eek:

Alconbury would be great......but you'd have the same issue as Fairford with no-on base parking dictate from USAFE no doubt.

Still reckon Boscombe is best bet location wise.

With the only RAF Battle of Britain day at Leuchars, and Waddington covering the middle of the country, RIAT really needs to be in the south IMHO.

Stitchbitch
15th Jul 2008, 22:38
Cosford is about to be taken over by Johnny Pongo, St.Athan by the Eng fraternity from Cosford (as well as the others there...:suspect:). Boscombe looks good :ok:

Beeayeate
15th Jul 2008, 22:42
Bruntingthorpe?

:E

wz662
15th Jul 2008, 22:51
Why don't RIAT buy Woodford off BAE Systems, seeing as BAE Systems are going to close it once the MR 4 Nimjet project is completed / scrapped. :E

exscribbler
15th Jul 2008, 23:36
Woodford? You can almost read with the naked eye from the viewing area at EGCC the serials on Nimrods going in there!

There've been some cracking air shows at Woodford in the past but not since 2000(?) - I suspect EGCC was behind it.

So it's Leeming, then.

Taxydual: which pub for afterwards? The Green Dragon, Bedale? The Castle Arms Inn, Snape? The Countryman's Inn, Hunton?

taxydual
15th Jul 2008, 23:52
Exscribbler,

Regretfully, 5/10 for Snape (They sold out to another brewery, so no Hambletons' anymore).

The shareholders have to slum it at Watlass pub.

The Black Sheep Brewery, Masham North Yorkshire (http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/)

Whoops, sorry MODS, it just slipped in............

Now, back to the thread.

:):):)

harrogate
16th Jul 2008, 01:16
Scampton's the obvious choice innit.

Long runway, f*ck all else going on apart from a few red planes that spend most of their time abroad, enough airspace to handle the entire RAF fleet at once (all 7 of them) and not too many neighbours to whinge about it all.

No chance then.

Wickenby?

scarecrow450
16th Jul 2008, 01:47
:mad: Cosford, its bad enough with their normal show traffic at Shawbury, nevermind anything decent !!!

Chough
16th Jul 2008, 06:37
St. Mawgan - though I sometimes recall the late and much lamented Chris Ashworth's comments on St. Mawgan's local weather speciality - gale force fog.

Close to Watergate and Fistral Beach but it would probably take Cornwall County Council years to give approval knowing how fast they operate.

Take That
16th Jul 2008, 06:38
Waddington gets my vote. Big runway to allow all participants to land in and lot of hard standing to accommodate the statics. Well established and organised procedures for display crews. Minimise the hassle for hard pressed personnel and just have one big show for the year. Enough local accommodation for the participants. Lincoln's now caught up with the 20th century and is a reasonable night out.

Looking at some of the alternatives:

St Mawgan: Easier to get to the Netherlands!

Cosford; fine, if you want a RIAT consisting of rotary, Harrier and GA. Runway too short for fast and or heavy jets (which, admit it or not, pull most crowd numbers. Osprey or Raptor, discuss).

Leeming. Again, runway too short for a lot of heavies. Not enough hard standing for a static on the scale RIAT is used to. Unfavourable crosswind component. Proximity to DTVA (very expensive for commercials to change thier procedures outside of a government sponsored show for a display). Northern HAS site for a party? Get real, still working accommodation and normally downwind of the sewage farm. Local accommodation distant and disparate - will need more than the Leeming Bar Motel, the Scotch Corner Hotel and The Nags Head. Went to the Bucks Head in Watlass last week - just about big enough for the village cricket team! Good Black Sheep though, I will admit.

Cottesmore. Acceptable and proven, but a lot of their personnel have better and more important things on their mind vice the size of the station.

Lossiemouth / Kinloss / Leuchars too far away for 150 000 people.

Willing to be convinced that Marham is viable. Wittering, again not enough hardstanding.

Woodford. Fine, but flat or rolling displays only due to proximity of a local airport called Manchester International.

Valley. In Wales. Same for St Athan. No, I mean poor road comms to get there!

Finningley.............aaahh! But that's another subject!!:O

green granite
16th Jul 2008, 07:00
RAF Sculthorpe? nice long runway, not used very often and it's in the driest part of the country.

Or buy Thurleigh and turn it into a super show venue.

Lurking123
16th Jul 2008, 07:06
Finningley gets my vote. Alternatively, how about Bruntingthorpe?

Winco
16th Jul 2008, 07:25
Whatever happens...please don't let RIAT take over Waddington's airshow. The folks at Waddo have got it off to a tee and it runs just fine, RIAT will just take that and screw it up!
So, LEAVE WADDO ALONE! For goodness sake.
Thank you

GeeRam
16th Jul 2008, 08:29
What about Wyton......??

Navy_Adversary
16th Jul 2008, 08:34
Didn't they cancel the Sunday show at RAF Waddington last year because of the adverse weather conditions?:confused:

Lancman
16th Jul 2008, 08:36
Akrotiri? Tourism's down a bit this year.

Green Flash
16th Jul 2008, 09:00
Establish the car park around the taxi way at Cerney/Down Ampney and shuttle bus everyone in. Sorry, what was the question?:hmm:

Beeayeate
16th Jul 2008, 09:47
Didn't they cancel the Sunday show at RAF Waddington last year because of the adverse weather conditions?

Indirectly. Waddo was cancelled last year because the local emergency services (fire, police, ambulance) were called away early to deal with sever flooding in the rest of Lincolnshire. The show could not be allowed to go on without the cover of these emergency services.

exscribbler
16th Jul 2008, 10:37
I was going to suggest Finningley but thought I might be accused of local bias. :E It's a wonderful thought but I'm not sure Peel Holdings would agree to close their airport for a week; anyway, is there enough hardstanding?

It still looks like Leeming with Scampton as first reserve.

Flik Roll
16th Jul 2008, 10:41
Why don't they just have the airshow in May which seems to be the 'new' British Summertime.

exscribbler
16th Jul 2008, 11:09
Didn't RAF At Homes become Battle of Britain Day (on or around 15 September)? Can anyone remember those being rained off? Those my Dad took me to at RAF Thornaby in the 1950s and later at RAF Middleton St George always seemed to be held on sunny days with hardly any cloud. Might this be a better time of year, then?

Grimweasel
16th Jul 2008, 11:58
It has to be Lyneham. Park al the cars on B site and the Calne Strip area. Socking great pans for static display and 2 runways!
Soon to be surplus to MoD requirements; just rent it from the new owners (Branson's new London Cargo airport)
Contingency parking at Hullavington, S Cerney, Wroughton, and Keevil with shuttle buses. Sorted!
Lyn on top of a big hill so flooding should not be a problem unlike the flood planes(get it!) that Fairford sits on! :-)

f4aviation
16th Jul 2008, 12:17
Scampers makes a lot of sense with the Lincs County showground just a shuttle bus ride away. Wouldn't want to be the weekend after Waddo though...

ARINC
16th Jul 2008, 12:28
Filtons the place... M5 M4 and 8000ft of history with a concord at the end. Park and ride from Wales :}

goudie
16th Jul 2008, 12:33
sunny days with hardly any cloud

ex
We had proper Summers and Winters in those days