PDA

View Full Version : Emergency evacuation announcement to ATC

Boroda
14th Jul 2008, 09:52
Please share your ideas on who and when to inform ATC about EE initiation when perfoming new version of respective checklist. Should we do it at line 2 ATC(VHF1) or at EVACUATION .... initiate? Or line 2 is for previous ATC contact conformation about the fact of possible evacuation reason? Spasibo.

potkettleblack
14th Jul 2008, 10:08
What aircraft type? On the bus our SOP's require the captain to initiate the emergency evacuation and do it from memory. The F/O will follow through the checklist to make sure each item has been dealt with. Its not a challenge and response checklist for us. Just get it done and get the final call into ATC to advise them that we are evacuating before the batteries go off. Then we are out of there, either via the ropes or the doors and slides remembering to grab the loadsheet, high viz and any emergency equipment.

If for any reason the captain is incapacitated then of course the F/O would be calling all of the shots. If the cockpit crew cannot be contacted AND the number 1 has concerns about the safety of the cabin then they are allowed to order an emergency evacuation but only after they have exhausted all means of trying to get through to us.

Boroda
14th Jul 2008, 11:46
Thanks. And sorry, 320 is the type, being interested. As for your company EE SOP - all is correct. :D But I would like to find out the more exact meaning of the second line of EE checklist and who pilot dealing with ATC is according to standart.:ugh:

potkettleblack
14th Jul 2008, 15:23
Who does what and when really depends on the nature of the emergency. There is no simple answer. In the case of a RTO there is an automatic handover of control. Hence you may well change from being PF to PNF as you are rolling down the runway. Once the Capt has brought the aircraft to a halt and asked what is wrong you would be directed to carry out ecam actions. The capt would make a PA requesting the passengers to remain in their seats whilst he also has a chat to the purser and assesses the situation. He might be trying to get information concerning the emergency from the purser or calling the tower to ask if they can see anything. It might necessitate waiting for fire crews to arrive on scene to make an inspection.

Taking the RTO example once the standard calls have been made and the aircraft is decelerating and it looks like it will safely stop on the runway you as PNF (your the f/O) would make a quick call to ATC. All you need to say is "Tower xyz715 stopping on the runway, standby". The standby is so that you don't get into a longwinded conversation with them. As helpful as ATC are in this situation your sole priority is to safely stop that aircraft on the tarmac in front of you.

The checklist is there as a backup to the memory items that the capt will have undertaken and you follow through with it to make sure that he hasn't missed anything eg: left an engine running for the passengers to be sucked into. In our RTO example Line 2 of the checklist is there to give more information to ATC in another radio call. You might for example want to advise ATC that you have had a fire warning and request emergency services. They know you are stopped because hopefully they can see out the tower window (nice clear VMC day) that you have plus you made an initial call telling them so. If it is decided by the captain that you are going to evacuate then he will have briefed you of his intention to evacuate and will ask that you advise ATC. Simply say "Tower, xyz715 evacuating present position request all available emergency services". Then get out of the aircraft using any available exit as per SOP. Of course VHF1 will only be available so long as the batteries are left on.

Exactly when you advise ATC of your need to evacuate will depend on the nature of the emergency. And who makes the call depends on who is PNF or PF at the time which will be also be impacted by events such as auto handover of control.

Boroda
14th Jul 2008, 17:35
So, CAPT as not reading the checklist has control&comm and so he calls ATC when its applicable, that is at the bottom of the paper. Spasibo.

Flight Detent
15th Jul 2008, 02:47
Pity the Boeing 737NG EE checklist isn't still a complete memory checklist, as it was!

The current single challenge/response read and do checklist is ridiculously slow and inefficient!

Bring back the old memory checklist....please!

Cheers...FD :{

SIDSTAR
20th Jul 2008, 02:49
ATC .............INFORM refers to telling ATC that you're stopping. Presumably they'll see you doing that unless in Low Vis conditions without Ground Radar.

The rest of the checklist is meant to be carried out by CM2 monitored by CM1 until CM1 makes the decision to Evacuate or not.

Note the new line to inform all concerned if you're not going to evacuate. The checklist merely gets the a/c ready for a POSSIBLE evacuation. The final decision is up to CM1.

Boroda
20th Jul 2008, 18:41
Thanks many times! It is the answer I have needed.

And now we are at the checklist bottom with CPTs decision to evacuate - who declares MAYDAY?

Please, more opinions appresiated!

Boroda
20th Jul 2008, 18:57
I would like to add that in my company we are to inform ATC about EE at line 2 and if it cancelled later we are to inform ATC about this again. But as you see I regard it as a nonsense. They say it would be more time for rescue. I say so why not to cry immediately upon Master Warning?

Dehavillanddriver
20th Jul 2008, 22:07
Our emergency evac checklist is a "read and do"

Works a treat

It gets done faster than the memory version, is more controlled and less prone to mistakes.

Flight Detent - not sure why you dont like the new 737 version but in my aircraft we have everything done by the capt with the checklist read by the f/o.

The intention being that the order of the checklist items is such that when things are done when called for by the F/O, including announcing the evac to the cabin and atc, it all falls into place.

As I say, it works a treat....

Centaurus
21st Jul 2008, 14:18
Once the Capt has brought the aircraft to a halt and asked what is wrong you

I would have thought the captain should already know "what was wrong" otherwise why would he initiate an abort?