PDA

View Full Version : Zenith 601 down in FNQ

MCKES
14th Jul 2008, 08:04
Did anyone see on the news the 601 down? Seems to be another one piloted by experienced pilots. leaves something to explain? Does anyone have any more info as I am keen to find out. I have previousely looked into the design as a potential builder, but at the time looked through the records and there seems to be a few wing seperations. The design has a foldable wing which bolts in. Talking to an engineer about homebuilts he also said that the material where the bolt secures is not sufficient and that the repeated use of the folding option may lead to wear and stress in the region where the bolt is located. I am not one to make a conclusion. but it would be interesting for discussion. Hopefully it could stop another event such as this My sincere condolences to the families involved.

yharry
28th Jul 2008, 06:18
crap.
the zenith ch601xl does not have a folding wing.

MCKES
28th Jul 2008, 07:38
Taken from the Zenith Air website for Zenith 601UL
"wing span is reduced by folding outside the main gear to less than eight feet for small hangar storage. The aircraft is approved for on road trailerability."

Taken from ASN Aircraft accident 13-JUL-2008 Zodiac CH 601 UL (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=21741)
Date: 13-JUL-2008
Time:
Type: Zodiac CH 601 UL
Operator: Clive Bradburn
C/n / msn:
Fatalities: Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities: 0
Airplane damage: Substantial
Phase: Unknown
Nature: Private
Departure airport:
Destination airport:
Narrative:
Crashed in a wooded area

MCKES
28th Jul 2008, 07:41
May I suggest you do some reading on the following site. This may help builders or potential builders and even pilots of these particular aircraft. THis is not here to speculate.
microlighters.co.za • View topic - Zenair safety? (http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7310&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=75377be1e0640746fa99a6774d4e1a8a)

Jabawocky
29th Jul 2008, 01:20
I flew through the search area on the 14th and arrived at YATN, along with 4 other bugsmashers, locals thought we had been part of the group which left the day before and lost one of their planes.

This is my view based on information that was available, the flight south was in good weather, at 6500' and regular 15 min radio scheds. All was fine until a sched with one less participant.

The refueller in ATN claims the pilot concerned had been unwell the night before and complained of chest pains, yet continued on with their trip.

The aircraft was found in one spot, no wings missing etc, so I do not think an inflight airframe failure occured.

If an engine failed..... there was ample time for at least one or twenty radio calls.

It is most likely given what I was told that the pilot was incapacitated and his wife unable to control the a/c.

Until someone can get an official report this is the best we have to go by.

J

MCKES
29th Jul 2008, 08:10
Thanks Jaba your input is appreciated

Kangaroo Court
29th Jul 2008, 11:35
The refueller told you so? You're kidding me right?!

Paul Bradburn
29th Mar 2019, 11:34
Its funny i found this 11 years or so after it happened . I am the son of the pilot of this plane .

Dads pride and joy , he had been flying various aircraft for around 12 years , he built this plane and another for his friend who was flying on that trip and turned his plane around to search the minute he knew they hadnt radio'd in , Dad was a mechanical genius that had 4 trades and was a stickler for procedure .

He also like myself had cardiovascular disease , he was unaware of his condition and had his first massive and fatal heart attack that day , ive had 7 to this point in time . I do believe my stepmum , the passenger would have known what to do but for some reason was incapacitated .

They found a map around 800m from the plane and believe this may have been where the incident started and the dome may have come loose as one catch was unlatched , i am no expert so you guys know better than i do . I do have the coroners reports and have pawed over them a number of times . I have Dads very expensive Seiko Chronograph , stopped at exactly 1:06pm . They made their radio call at 1pm but not at 1:15pm. It felt strange to read your comments knowing what i was going through at the time .

It destroyed my world completely at 42 years of age , it changed both me and my life forever . I appreciate your interest and condolences , i could never have imagined that i would lose them like this , that said the thought had crossed my mind when they started to fly 2 or 3 times a week , horrible i know but im logical like that , never emotional , it had to be considered . If theres anything i left out drop me a line [email protected] . Cheers Paul.

towerguy
29th Mar 2019, 19:49
I know it doesn't help but to the families my thoughts and best wishes are with you. My sons funeral was yesterday so i feel for you immensely.
People say to stay strong but I still don't know how. Stay close to family, hug lots.

kaz3g
29th Mar 2019, 22:19
My thoughts and best wishes to both of you...kaz