PDA

View Full Version : Simple e-mailer?

squeakmail
5th Jun 2000, 09:50
"Mom" - in Greater Manchester - wants to keep in touch with son - in Florida.

"Mom" doesn't know how to switch on a PC - never mind choose the right one from Dixons.

Taking into account ALL she wants to do is send trans-atlantic e-mails....have you any suggestions for the "right bit of kit for the job"?

------------------
Animals...it's their World too!!

MAX REVERSE
5th Jun 2000, 13:58
Mom might want to consider checking at her local library to see if they offer internet access to their patrons. We offer access at £1.50 for half an hour (£1.00 concession), and she'd get help in setting up an email account and help with how to use it. Where in Gtr. M/C is she?

pilot-lite
5th Jun 2000, 14:06
BT make a telephone with a little pull out keyboard that allows you to send and receive emails.

Found it for sale online at £70 at the link below, I think it's about £80 at Dixons etc.

If "Mom" needs any help setting it up, I live in South Manchester and would be happy to help if she's not too far away.

Phoneshop online (http://www.phoneshop.uk.com/frontpage/indexeasicom1000.htm)

pilot-lite

[This message has been edited by pilot-lite (edited 05 June 2000).]

MAX REVERSE
5th Jun 2000, 15:26
Or if she's got On Digital (Sky as well I think) she can send emails via that. Costs £30 for the On Digital email kit (plus the monthly subscription of course).

Do you fly at Barton, Pilot Lite?

[This message has been edited by MAX REVERSE (edited 05 June 2000).]

pilot-lite
5th Jun 2000, 18:20
Max, I did, off to Jerez soon though.....

pilot-lite

squeakmail
5th Jun 2000, 20:14
Guys...thanks for the advice...I'll let her know.

Max...the answer is Oldham, North East corner (just by the M62 - Junction 21)...near where the Oldham NDB used to be (344 Khz).

Thanks again...tried to reply earlier - but pprune system wouldn't let me "Internal Server Error" it said.

------------------
Animals...it's their World too!!

MAX REVERSE
5th Jun 2000, 23:44
Ah.

Oh well, so much for that bright idea. I'll check to confirm this, but as far as I know, Oldham libraries don't offer internet access. She'd have to drive down to Ashton and use the computer suite at Tameside Central library. Perhaps the web-TV solution or the phone thingie then...

BTW, should you be interested to learn what's happening in your Mom's part of the world, you could check Oldham Council's web site at www.oldham.gov.uk (http://www.oldham.gov.uk/)

[This message has been edited by MAX REVERSE (edited 05 June 2000).]

Rollingthunder
6th Jun 2000, 03:50
"Mom" - just south of Oxford (formerly of Oldham)- wanted to keep in touch with son - out here on the frontier.

"Mom" doesn't know how to switch on a PC - never mind choose the right one from
Dixons.

"Son" got her the BT Easicom 1000 from Dixon's. She can actually work it fine, it's got a lot of telephone functions , even some shopping capability. 12p or 25p (BT says one, the manual says another - haven't gotten the phone bill yet)to send or retrieve emails. You can batch the outgoing in the outbox and send them all at once.Easy to set up. Need to be in reach of power outlet and phone line.

squeakmail
6th Jun 2000, 07:08
How long has Oxford been formerly of Oldham?

(Bet somebody calls me names for that).

Will look into all the options...thanks.

Rollingthunder
6th Jun 2000, 07:30
MUM not Oxford.

MAX REVERSE
3rd Aug 2000, 22:51
Squeaky.

If you're still reading posts on this forum, you may be interested to know that Oldham libraries now offer FREE internet access. All your mum has to do is join the library.

[This message has been edited by MAX REVERSE (edited 03 August 2000).]