PDA

View Full Version : Pelair Westwind freight run

tio540
14th Jul 2008, 03:54
Just heard on the radio the Pelair Westwind centre freight run is to be given to the airlines, due to cost. Shame to see them go, if true. What is happening?

Chadzat
14th Jul 2008, 04:32
How can it go to 'the airlines' when the last flight into Alice arrives at about 5:30pm? This is all overnight freight isn't it?

tinpis
14th Jul 2008, 04:41
The Pelair Westwinds are so old they feature on local aboriginal rock art :hmm:

tio540
14th Jul 2008, 05:01
Amendment to my last, apparently only the TNT Westwind is ceasing operation. The second Melbourne - Darwin aircraft will continue, as in Aboriginal folklore. Will miss it just the same.

Desert Duck
14th Jul 2008, 22:24
Most of the freight companies are only worried about their bottom line.

When a $15,000 consignment is accepted, and lost in transit and their reply is 'not our problem', but then still send you a bill and expect you to pay it.

Most of them do not care about service any more.

bizjetz
15th Jul 2008, 21:20
If this is actually the case on the TNT centre run it's a great shame. This would have to be one of the longest running operations ever - probably in the region of 30 years ! Many a pilot over the years has got their break on this run and used it as a spring board onto bigger and better things - many of whom are probably reading this right now. For those that did, i'm sure the great majority would have fond memories from their time in the old Westwind - it was certainly a great way to rack up those hours - yet more importantly, the experience it offered. As for those Darwin weekends ............ some of the worst hangovers imaginable :}

tinpis
15th Jul 2008, 21:51
... some of the worst hangovers imaginable

True :uhoh:

Well I remember some Near Death Experiences after visits from Kl##ter and Mc#ae

bizjetz
15th Jul 2008, 23:07
Would nearly be worth a reunion I would reckon ! If I think about it, I would think you could rack up hundreds old names that have suffered one of those hangovers - alah Kl##ster and Mc##e not to mention all the ones since. It was not for the faint at heart. Then again, i'm sure there are plenty that would care to forget - particularly if the walls of the old house could talk............ many a divorce could ensue :eek:

tio540
15th Jul 2008, 23:16
Welcome back Desert Duck, great to hear from you.

Stationair8
16th Jul 2008, 08:52
Did the Pelair Westwinds replace the original Ward's Lear 35's that were around in the late 70's?

Got to know a few of the Westwind guys over the years, always good blokes and willing to help out with flying and career advice etc.

tinpis
16th Jul 2008, 09:44
Remind me how Pelair evolved?
From the beginnings in the Gong it was Wings , Jet charter how did it go?

victor two
17th Jul 2008, 02:40
Bizjetz,

if you are saying that there was a lot of naked action going on in that putrid house that would have resulted in divorce? You should calrify that any action that took place was probably betweebn the pilots themselves. There certainly wouldn't have been any women involved thats for sure...!

Stationair8
17th Jul 2008, 03:39
Most of the Pelair guys I knew, wouldn't have seen a naked woman and the only alcohol that touched their lips was when they went to communion on Sundays.

Didn't Pelair merge out of the leftovers of Wings Australia and Schutt aviation?