PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air First Officer recruitment

.Aero
13th Jul 2008, 20:13
Looks like GF are in need for 320 type rated boys & girls again.

We are now in the process of recruiting Direct Entry Rated First Officers for Airbus A320 to join our expending A320 fleet.
To be considered for this position you must:

Have frozen ATPL (JAA equivalent);
Be fluent in verbal and written English;
Have a current medical;
Have a total of 1500 flying hours;
Have 250 on type flying hours;
Have 500 flying hours on Jet multi-crew aircraft; and
Be less than 51 years of age on the day of application.Link to the vacancy page here (http://www.gulfaircareers.com/careers/gulfair/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyId=11678) .

john321
14th Jul 2008, 07:38
Gulf Air, wake up and smell the coffee.

why u keep on hitting big on your hour requirements. look at Qatar Airways and thier second officer program. Why you discriminate against other nationals while you hire bahrains on 200 hr. hire people based on qualification, not nationality.

john

ironbutt57
14th Jul 2008, 08:22
Yah John look at Qatar Airways and their direct-entry capt program....we dont have one..we upgrade by seniority...second officers are a good investment in the company's future, but they require a lot more training resources, so along with second officers we need to recruit direct entry first officers to fill the needs...get it?

zerograv
14th Jul 2008, 10:13
Would there be any possibilities for the B767?
If so, what would be the requisites for FOs?
"Gulf Traveller" .... is it a seperate company within Gulf Air???

Cheers,
Zerograv

TZZ
14th Jul 2008, 11:58
try non type rated they opened it today.

Che Guevara
14th Jul 2008, 12:37
Gulf Air, wake up and smell the coffee.
why u keep on hitting big on your hour requirements. look at Qatar Airways and thier second officer program. Why you discriminate against other nationals while you hire bahrains on 200 hr. hire people based on qualification, not nationality.

Dude, are you for real?
What do you think chances of a Bahraini national getting a job with Air Canada......?
1500 hours is nothing....500 on jets is six months to one year! Finally, why should'nt the Bahraini's hire their own people first, this is the same anywhere....who do you think has priority at Qatar?

john321
14th Jul 2008, 13:54
Che Guevara,

What Im trying to say here is, Gulf Air should not discrminate when it comes to nationality. if you want your airline to start making money, then you gotta look at something called multi cultural organization. Air Canada will hire a bahrani national if he immigrates to my country. Does your country ever give a citizen to somebody who has lived there for fifty years. And by the way , i dont even care if they open it or not because i fly the A340 for Qatar Airways which is a great work place here.

John Lepanico.

ironbutt57
14th Jul 2008, 16:19
John 321...if you IMMIGRATE to Bahrain then you will be Bahraini and welcome to apply..if a Bahraini IMMIGRATES (your words) then he will be Canadian wont he?? So enjoy Qatar what are you on about anyway?

.Aero
14th Jul 2008, 17:14
The current vacancy (Direct entry type rated and non-type rated pilots) are open to everyone. Neither specify 'Bahraini nationals only'.

What Im trying to say here is, Gulf Air should not discrminate when it comes to nationality.

That's not going to change anytime soon because Bahrain doesn't have a free labour market; instead they're blessed with copious amounts of local of politics, Bahrainization, new LMRA rules etc.

So how does it work in the developed world? You probably won't get airlines stipulating that a vacancy is open to "british" nationals or "new zealand" nationals only as this would clearly be discriminatory and the airline would probably be dragged into court by the scruff of their necks. Instead they have residency requirements. A requirement that you have the right to live or work within their country of operation.

ironbutt57
14th Jul 2008, 17:54
Well...then it's easy...the only nationalities that have the "right to work" in Bahrain is a Bahraini...expats have no "right" to be here...were are guest workers sponsored by our employer.

sispanys ria
14th Jul 2008, 18:55
Well...then it's easy...the only nationalities that have the "right to work" in Bahrain is a Bahraini...expats have no "right" to be here...were are guest workers sponsored by our employer.

He was not referring to Bahrain but to Europe and North America since over there it is barely legal to put nationality requirements. Instead they use these residential requirements, which finally have same impact in restricting access to people from undeveloped countries.

Che Guevara
14th Jul 2008, 20:39
john321

Does your country ever give a citizen to somebody who has lived there for fifty years. And by the way , i dont even care if they open it or not because i fly the A340 for Qatar Airways which is a great work place here.

John, it is not my country first of all. Secondly, if Gulf Air or Bahrain want to give priority to their citizens, I don't have a problem with that because that is the way the it works anywhere, as I mentioned before. Whether it be a citizenship issue or residency issue or what ever that particular country wants to call it, its their country and they can do as they please.
To call it discriminatory simply ridiculous. Perhaps you could tell me why any country would allow foreign nationals to deprive their own citizens of their needs and aspirations?

i fly the A340 for Qatar Airways which is a great work place here
Glad to hear that you are working for an equal opportunity airline, 'great place palce to work', well as they say, no comment.

Bonne chance

Tziganul
11th Aug 2008, 09:18
Hey guys,

Love the bashing but if you have some time, can you please let me know what a first-officer can expect in terms of pay and condition, benefits and all the goodies if any :) at GF

Cheers gals!

ironbutt57
11th Aug 2008, 12:11
Perform a search and your questions will be answered

parabellum
11th Aug 2008, 12:16
John Lepanico. Aged 25, I think that about covers it.

NTM
11th Aug 2008, 12:39
John 321,

you are saying "hire people based on qualification, not nationality"
That is what they are doing.

Later,

Tziganul
11th Aug 2008, 13:02
Hey ironbutt57,

I'm new to this website, I've done lots of search and I just can't seem to get a hold on the pay scale, if you could redirect me I'd greatly appreciate it, thank!

:)

linnet
18th Aug 2008, 16:43
has anyone recently applied and been invited for interview. If so where did the interview take place? thx

Tziganul
27th Aug 2008, 08:23
Hey linnet,

I've just been interviewed. The hotel they put you in is a 5 star. It has pretty much anything you want in there, so for that, I give GF a thumb up. The GF HQ is right across from the hotel, so you can wake up late and still make it :) The people who interview you have been there for quite some time. All of them are great. They make you feel very comfortable and you can actually be yourself, that's what it's all about. The first day usually starts out with the group exercise (where you have to choose between to aircrafts for a specific route) then, the psychometric tests. 4 of them: verbal reasoning, math estimation, spatial orientation (which is in my opinion the "trickiest" one) and computer checking. Followed by the personal interview and finally the planning exercise. You start at about 8am and finish at 3ish. The personal interview is a lot of questions about tell me a time when this and that and the other thing. The second day, you usually have the medical and the sim in the evening. The sim is either on the 320 or the 330. If your all ready a type rated guy then it's pretty straight forward. T/O with FD and A/TH, soon after t/o no F/D and A/TH into a downwind for rwy 30 or 12. Then another t/o followed by and eng failure with a raw data ILS. Oh yeah there is a missed app on the single eng. then they tell you right away if you passed the sim or not. The sim instructor and the cptn are great guys, friendly and all they want is to see your handling skills. Hope it helps and Cheers mate!

Rivera
27th Aug 2008, 09:53
Looks like you had a good experience, can you please give more information on the interview questions.

Thanks

777-200LR
27th Aug 2008, 13:49
Tziganul,

What were the positions on offer? And what were the aircraft on order again?

Fubaliera
29th Aug 2008, 15:08
Hey 777-200LR,

From what I gathered from the info they provided me with, the King has invested about BD167 millions last year to get GF on the right track. Now, this is only the info I was able to get and maybe it's not the official numbers. They have about 60 aircrafts on order, but keep in mind that most of it will be to renew their current fleet. It seems that now they are on a good track and have stopped bleeding. Now it's the time for healing if I may say. I left there with a good impression and it's definitely worth seeing the place for yourself. Cheers!

brassplate
29th Aug 2008, 15:54
sorry to bust your bubble but bleeding has turned into haemorraging. first half losses amounted to 260 million bhds. the king's contribution fell short of that by 93 million bhd.

Fubaliera
31st Aug 2008, 08:35
Folks,

Can you please give me 10 companies in the world that are not bleeding :) how is that saying ... "if you want to make millions in aviation, you must start with billions lol lol lol lol lol.

Giggey
2nd Sep 2008, 14:27
Hi all.
GF got in contact with me for a possible F/o position, sent me an email with a link to log in to and do some psicometric assesment.
than nothing for 2 days now (and i'm not the only one)

Does anyone of you knows how much time it gets to get an answer from GF and how's like to be the all selection process?
Do they contact people based on Alphabetic surnames o what?

tkx in advance

GJ

Tziganul
3rd Sep 2008, 00:57
Hey Giggey,

It takes a few days b4 anyone gets to you. Count on about 1 week max. I suggest you go and practice the SHL and the other links they give you, it'll set your mind for the psychometric test. In general, if english is your first language or close to it, you won't have any trouble with the verbal reasoning. Then the graphic reading is all about calculating the percentages (%) Practice a few of them. The other one, is the logic reasoning which is a bit trickier. What I suggest is to have a paper with you and put every sequence down on it instead of doing it in your mind because once you have combinations of actions you'll need that paper. The whole process from applying to being offered a contract was about 1 month. Hope this helps bud and cheers!

picollo
3rd Sep 2008, 14:39
Did they pay for your ticket there?
I have an assessment scheduled soon and no info about travel arrangements.

Did practising on the shl website help?

dzmeigolem
3rd Sep 2008, 16:50
Yes, the SHL site helps. They will probably send you an e-ticket for the trip. Take care!

picollo
3rd Sep 2008, 17:00
Thanks.
I practised on the shl site and found out that I am a complete moron:}

I have practised the verbal, numerical and inductive tests, what exactly is computer checking?

also, any tech questions at all??

RA-DOME
3rd Sep 2008, 18:21
For those who have been called by GF recently, what Type Ratings and experience do you guys have?

Has anyone turned them down for any reason?

Thanks

RA-DOME
10th Sep 2008, 04:44
bumpity bump bump

Giggey
10th Sep 2008, 06:41
A320 rating with 1000hrn on type
Got chance to go from 14 to 17 for assesment but i cannot due actual roster.
Any news on next selections dates?

cheers

Sal-e
10th Sep 2008, 10:48
Good luck to all.

picollo
10th Sep 2008, 11:49
I have an assessment pretty soon and have not received any travel information.

Have they sent e tickets to the recent candidates?

For the person asking about experience,
I had over 7000 hours with 1500 on the bus.

airballoon
21st Sep 2008, 15:39
Anyone just come back from the interview/been offered a position.
Any updates on the process / sim / interview.

Thanks in advance

Sweptt
21st Sep 2008, 16:14
Hello everyone,

Has anyone with jet time but no type rating been offered interview/position with Gulf recently?

Thank you.

hertzer636
22nd Sep 2008, 11:08
Regarding the interview dates: Does Gulf Air provide transportation for your wife as well?

Giggey
22nd Sep 2008, 12:48
yes also for your parents and friends and offer you tickets for the F1 grand prix.

Come on dude......

Mr Lover
22nd Sep 2008, 12:59
Well EK does provide ticket to your wife... and also for the Dubai Classic....

make sense to me to invite the partner to the interview since it is a family decision to move in the Gulf.

Flying_Mantis
23rd Sep 2008, 19:01
guys,

here's my two pence.

after doing the online test it takes about 4days for them to reply. You can email the recruitment@gulf for a response, which is what i did.

for travel arrangements they are pretty poor. They may well ask you to buy your own ticket, and then get reimbursed. this happened to all the people on my selection, but we all said no and they eventually sent an e-ticket.

no details were given on person meeting at the airport, hotel, or hotel pickup. but if you go to the gulf air desk, loiter with intent, and try and catch someones eye you should find the correct bloke. hotel is only 2 minutes away. i called gulf recruitment and got a vague idea, others turned up with no idea.

the people at gulf are great, very friendly, but some things like the recruitment seem a little disorganised. communication is slow. all this info is first hand, and take of it what you will.

picollo
24th Sep 2008, 23:18
I have an assessment with GF as well and I did not receive any tests.
I did receive the shl site to practise but no tests.

Anyone else in the same boat?

evilatp
25th Sep 2008, 00:02
I got a phone call from Zaina asking if I was available to interview on the 19th of October. Nothing else since, but it seems as though things move rather slowly over there.

Sweptt
25th Sep 2008, 03:10
Wow,

these practise tests are not easy at all especially the numerical reasoning, which you can only practise once.

Will a calculator be allowed to calculate the percentages?

What would be an acceptable score to pass?

Any help would be appreciated.

Che Guevara
25th Sep 2008, 05:22
Everything tends to be on the slow side in Bahrain except for the traffic....
In fact if you are interested in working out here there are one or two competencies that help. Patience, initiative, tolerance, politeness and a lot more patience. During the Holy Month of Ramadan (right now) things just about come to a halt. Ramadan will be over in a few days time and things will accelerate again to a fast walking pace (well almost) after the post Ramadan holidays.
They are hireing, and a new class started a few days ago...for those of you that interested 5 out of 6 were type rated and the sixth is off the 737 I think.
Thinking back over the years, the only thing that has never been late is my paycheck, so nothing wrong with that he says :D

Good luck

PS no calculator, only mid school maths

ironbutt57
25th Sep 2008, 06:00
In fact paycheck 3 days early this month:ok: They are assessing non-rated jet experienced as well..as Che says it takes a bit of time...

saviboy
25th Sep 2008, 20:39
Hi everyone
I was checking pilotjobsnetwork.com for the payscales and the info is correct first year FO pay is 2100 BHD which is about 5600 USDollars.
Compared to EY (6900) and Ek (about 6200 if i am correct) it seems a little low.

is the info correct?
Is there any other compensation that would make up the difference?
thanks

Tziganul
26th Sep 2008, 03:32
Hey saviboy,

From what I hear, life in the UAE is a bit more expensive than Bahrain. So your 5600usd will get you more than the 6000+ in the UAE. I have done the math and with the housing+flying pay you will pocket in between 7500-8500. Hope i didn't make any errors :) Anyone else from the inside with different numbers?

ironbutt57
26th Sep 2008, 05:55
The 5600 is your basic...add in block hour pay roughly another thousand...and per deims.."time away" it's called at 4dlls per hour..you may average around 7000-7500 depending on your roster...the housing and other small allowances is not included in my mentioned amount

tankdrvr
26th Sep 2008, 12:08
From another web post:

"here is a breakdown...

Basic = 2100BD + (50BD for each year of service)
Housing = 650BD (married) 550 (single)
Pay per block hours = 6BD (average 60 hours = 360BD)
Meal Allowance per hour TAFB= 1.5BD (average 150 hours = 225BD)
Wife allowance = 42BD
Wife allowance = 12.5BD (per child)
Communications = 13BD
Utilities = 48BD
Transportation = 40BD

Total = 3490.5BD or $9,319.65"

This is most accurate. And as it has been said, you get more for your money in BAH. Extra pay for working on a day off and more if you don't ask for the day back.

Giggey
26th Sep 2008, 14:53
As by subject, Casual or absolutely suit?

tks

Farty Flaps
26th Sep 2008, 15:07
Dont where a suite, or a sweet.

Push the boat out and try a suit but not a soot Dontcha luv inglish.

Giggey
26th Sep 2008, 15:12
hihi, was overthinking...:}

Che Guevara
26th Sep 2008, 17:44
Absolutely suit... local national dress is optional... ;)

commercialpilot28
26th Sep 2008, 17:59
Can you guys please tell me what kind of Technical question did they asked you ? I am not much worried about HR questions, its just I am curious about their technical interview. Also can anyone of you suggest what book will be the best to prepare for an interview for Gulf Air ? I just bought Acing pilot interview......would that be sufficient ? plz advice

hertzer636
28th Sep 2008, 19:49
I have read that all 320 flying = out and backs or stand ups. Can anyone confirm this? Also, how many days off per month - average? Typically how long are those stretches of days off?

ironbutt57
28th Sep 2008, 21:41
Night stops 24/48hr at 4 India destinations..Kuwait, and Dubai...also 3 standups, lots of out and back day trips as well..if you work a day off, you either get paid 50BD, or 150bd and forfeit a leave day (sell leave option).(you may also decline the invitation)..the day off is returned to you..expect 8 days off per month..usually in two's or 3's you may request a block of days off as well once per roster period..commuting not an option...

skywaytoheaven
29th Sep 2008, 06:44
Please dont come to GF for the rostering, it is ABYSMAL, roughly 8 days off a month, with no pattern to it, totally random. Life on the 320 will age you, the best thing about it is that you may get on 330/340 one day (where also the rosters are quite bad these days apparently).
There are plenty of good things about GF, ie Bahrain is nice, training has greatly improved, good flight deck atmosphere....err nice food - but ROSTERING is the pits and the a/c are knackered.

evilatp
8th Oct 2008, 17:49
Does HR ask you any questions about your religion during the interview? I know that some applications that I have filled-out include sections about what religion you practice.

Panama Jack
8th Oct 2008, 18:02
I don't recall having been asked my religious afiliation, and would be surprised if they ever would ask religious afiliation during an interview. The interviews tend to be very professional, and unless you have a muslim name, they will probably just assume you are not a muslim. There is freedom of religion in Bahrain and a number of Churches and temples of other religions. It is pretty much a non-issue.

Sal-e
8th Oct 2008, 18:14
Callouts for F/Os on days off are 35BDs with the day off REPLACED within three roster periods, or,

100BDs with no dayoff replacement AND a day of leave taken out of your leave bank of 50 days a year, or,

decline the offer to work on your dayoff and continue enjoying that pina colada.

For Captains, it is 50BDs and 150BDs.

So it is either a 'partial sell' or a 'full sell' or keep the dayoff.

ironbutt57
9th Oct 2008, 03:52
Bit wrong there Sal-e...the day off has to be replaced, as it is a regulatory requirement, as they only roster us for the minimum days off per roster period..but a leave day is taken out of your leave bank if you tick the "sell leave" option...also the "when" part of the day off can be negotiated during the initial acceptance of the duty, as they are usually in a negotiating mood during the heat of the moment..

hertzer636
12th Oct 2008, 19:48
I tried searching for the info on Gulf Air employee housing - came up with nothing. More specifically what are the names of the complexes so that I can look up some pics?

tbaylx
13th Oct 2008, 00:46
They don't really have employee housing. You basically have to go find your own and use the housing allowance. They will negotiate the lease for you with the landlord, so all you have to do is pick where you want to live and they will take off any extra from your pay if the rent is above your allowance.

ironbutt57
13th Oct 2008, 01:26
Ocassionally they have some under GF lease become available, but as TBALYX mentions, it's usually easier to have them sort a lease at a place you choose..

wigwag
22nd Oct 2008, 08:53
Hello all

About to submit my application form, can anyone tell me if they are still recruiting and any latest up to date information regarding the interview process ?

Is it true that they are getting all the type rated pilots they need ?

Thanks in advance

WW
:ok:

ironbutt57
22nd Oct 2008, 09:29
Right now the focus is on rated, but next few weeks they will be looking at non-rated as well..

MONPOU
31st Oct 2008, 22:00
Thank you very much for your explanation!
I have been called for my interview in November and I wonder if you could tell my more about that "tricky exams" or the interview questions!!! Thank you very much, I hope I see you in a future at GF.

Thank you!!!

wigwag
1st Nov 2008, 08:40
Hay Monpou

May i ask if your experience level and if type rated ? Did they contact you by e mail and how long ago was it when you submitted you application ?

I applied 1 month ago and nothing so far.

good luck :ok:

WW :)

Che Guevara
2nd Nov 2008, 16:08
coolio545

No Gulf Air is not an approved JAR TRTO with JAR examiners. We operate under the Bahrain CAA.

jetjockey737
10th Nov 2008, 20:36
can anyone provide me with a number for HR please, despite the search function I cant find it. Ta very much

JJ

ironbutt57
11th Nov 2008, 03:58
If you plan on calling regarding employment don't waste your nickel..keep updating the CV..the actual initial selection for screening is conducted by flt ops department

PlaneStupid123
17th Oct 2011, 14:45
Guys, I'm looking for updates on the selection process.

Can anyone confirm the process is the same as mentioned previously, i.e., Psychometric testing followed by a Panel Interview and if successful a Sim ride?

Thanks.

John21UK
17th Oct 2011, 17:22
It depends where you do the interview it seems. If you are invited to go Bahrain is't the full process. If it's elsewhere it's just the 4 tests and one interview. There is no more sim check.

All info is in Gulf Air Developments thread from a post in 2007. Still relevant as the process hasn't changed. Goodluck.

Mephistopheles
19th Oct 2011, 06:58
It amazes me that we do not conduct sim rides as part of the pre-selection process. It really shows how far down we have gone in our recruiting process & I am not dissing anyone that is trying to join. I am just stating the glaringly obvious-how can you hire someone to fly an airplane competantly & safely without even checking their handling & cockpit CRM skills? Another example of how weak our ops dept are

John21UK
19th Oct 2011, 09:14
To me the most imporant part would be the sim check. Throw someone in a sim on a aircraft he's unfamiliair with and see what happens. Nothing fancy, just basic stuff. Forget all these psycho tests and planning excersises and ask yourself; "can I sit next to this guy/girl for a 12hr shift and have a good-and safe time?!"

Just take them to a hotel bar to do the 'interview'. If he/she buys the first round, he's in. If not, too bad...

flyjuly
7th Nov 2011, 07:09
hi guyz im new hear thinking to join gulfiar need some info about rumors i here is it true you have 8000 dinar bond when you join and only 2 year temporary contract, also is bahrain like i see on news with guns and stuff

thank you

ironbutt57
8th Nov 2011, 03:56
They got more "guns n stuff" in any given USA city on any day...so forget that part...:O

There is a bond for 320 joiners, not sure about Embraer...

Historically speaking, when a fleet disappears, the pilots are moved to the other fleets...:ok:

Apply and see where it goes, and dont watch too much CNN....:ugh:

Jelmer
19th Nov 2011, 10:40
Hi guys,

I am invited for an interview in London between 11/21 December... More people invited? I read about the process in Bahrain, but does anyone know what to expect in London?

Thanks!:D

atpcliff
21st Nov 2011, 09:08
Delta Airlines does not do a sim check, and neither does Atlas Air.

In fact, more of the companies in the US flying the largest airplanes do not do sim checks. In the US, the smaller the aircraft is, the more likely they are to do a sim check.

I also applied at Atlantic Coast Airlines (in 2001), a very large US regional (now out of business), and they didn't do a sim check....and neither did Pinnacle, which is a huge US regional.

cliff
KGRB

tdk90
22nd Nov 2011, 02:40
Any advice on getting the attachments required below 300kb each?

Whispering Giant
22nd Nov 2011, 16:21
tdk90 - save your scanned document's as low or Medium res JPEG's and not as PDF's and they will save as less than 300kb's

brgds
W.G

bedix84
24th Nov 2011, 03:36
do they accept low hours pilots with no TR and wishing to go under Training Bond???

Che Guevara
24th Nov 2011, 15:56
No, unless you are a local.

subria023
19th Dec 2011, 10:06
Anyone could share the info about current pilot recruiting situation? Is Gulf Air still actively hiring? I'm from LCC in SE Asia with 3500TT and 1200 current on A320.

I have read through the pages about the pay and other details on other threads so I already have some idea about the place. But some info was given back early or mid of this year. So I would appreciate if anyone could give me some info with current situation about QOL and roster.

Thanks

Subria

wadefac
19th Dec 2011, 22:57
LCC is this a trick geography question............u post question why not spend 2 seconds and say where u are from :confused: :ugh:

subria023
20th Dec 2011, 02:15
Sorry, it was not meant to be a trick question. I actually meant I'm working for a Low Cost Carrier in SE Asia.

Any response will be appreciated.

subria023
22nd Dec 2011, 04:19
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Would you be able to tell me what's the average flying hrs. per month recently? What's the maximum consecutive day off do pilots normally get?
Trying to work out if commuting to SE Asia (Bangkok) is possible from time to time.

Subria

subria023
22nd Dec 2011, 12:56
Thanks again :)