PDA

View Full Version : Wartime service record decode

andymac
13th Jul 2008, 09:37
hope you good people can help decode part of my father's wartime service -
called up in 1941 + after 4 SoTT as a ACH/FM(A) ie airframes guy,and was sent to
Rhodesia, returning in 1944. That's straightforward enough.
On return to the UK, his mustering entry becomes U/T FCA (later FCA), with postings
thru 1944 and 1945 to Woodbridge, Cosford and again Woodbridge before being
despatched to the Middle East with 236Wing.
Can anyone help shed light on what FCA was (too early for fighter control??)
and what was happening at Cosford + Woodbridge in 1945 (I realise Woodbridge was
a relief landing ground with FIDO installed etc).
Thanks for any help, Andy Mac

cazatou
13th Jul 2008, 19:37
andymac

I would think that most users of his thread are a trifle too young to help. I would suggest that you photocopy what documents you have and send them to the RAF Museum who, apart from their own archives, co-operate closely with the RAF Historical Branch.

Best of luck.

airborne_artist
13th Jul 2008, 20:27
Cazatou - while most are a bit young, there are several who may know just what he's asking about - Cliffnemo for one. Henry Crun is another. Quite a few from the 40s on Pprune, but some just lurk!

Brian Dixon
13th Jul 2008, 20:36
Andymac,
Woodbridge was being used for some experimental work by the RAF with Lancasters being based there dropping Grand Slam bombs on Orford Ness, and the Blind Landing Experiment Unit was located there. Eventually it was closed on 14 March 1948 and put into 'care and maintenance' status. (Taken from Wiki)

RAF Cosford history:
DCAE Cosford - Cosford History (http://www.raf.mod.uk/dcaecosford/aboutus/cosfordhistory.cfm)

The only thing I can find (at the moment) on 236 Wing was that it was formed on 1 Feb '42 and was disbanded on 20 Dec '46. It's function is listed as mobile medium bomber / heavy bomber, which would tie in with the Woodbridge information above.
Taken from : Royal Air Force Organisational History (http://www.rafweb.org/Index.htm)

Could the FC be something like Ferry Command or Facility Checking?

Perhaps give Hendon a shout too, although I agree with Cazatou that the Historical Branch will probably be your best bet. Write to them at:
Air Historical Branch (RAF), Building 266, RAF Bentley Priory, Stanmore,
Middlesex, HA7 3HH

Good luck - and when you find out, let us know too!

Brian
(closet historian)

caped crusader
13th Jul 2008, 20:41
I believe the Air Historical Branch has moved out of Bentley Priory and is now at RAF Northolt.

Brian Dixon
13th Jul 2008, 20:47
Oops!
Thank you, Caped Crusader. Thanks for the update.

Address for Northolt is:
RAF Northolt
West End Road
Ruislip
Middlesex
HA4 6NG

Must have been an historical page I was looking at.

Brian :O

FJJP
13th Jul 2008, 21:00
This site gives a fairly comprehensive history of Woodbridge [Google is your friend]:

Woodbridge Airfield History (http://www.bentwaters-as.org.uk/html/woodbridge_history.html)

FCA - possibly Flying Control Assistant? Or something to do with FIDO?

cliffnemo
14th Jul 2008, 11:00
Woobridge was one -of the first three airfields to receive F.I.D,O (fog intense dispersal of) because they were equipped with the latest approach and landing aids including G.C.A ( ground control approach) circa 1942. First operational landing, Nov/43, by 4 "halibags" at Gravely. Total landed at Woodbridge 1200. Total petrol used 100,000 tons. On the first trial run, the local fire brigade turned out to put the fire out. F.C.A ??? Fido control approach?????
I would imagine all airfields would be suffering with "clampdown" for them to use it. Our airfield, Hemswell refused permission to land one night, because of fog. Only Dishforth was unaffected. I didn't know we had so many aircraft, they were all there. We slept on mess tables, under mess tables, billiard tables ad infinitum

If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't paint it.

I'm Not lurking, don't care any more.

fi

country calls
14th Jul 2008, 11:43
Somewhere in the depths of my memory I seem to recall that there was a trade of Fitter C in the old aircraft trades, though I ,could be suffering complete hallucinations so I would get further verification before trusting too much in that.

Your Dad was a Flight Mechanic Airframes and would have required retraining to become an Airframe Fitter, which would more than likely have been done at Cosford, (Only Apprentices were trained at Halton).

This would possibly have possibly given him the trade Fitter C Airframe (The C possibly denoting he was specifically trained to work in a second/third line environment or could even be Corporal )

The other possible with the Cosford link is that there was a military hospital built there in 1940. Is there a possibility that he was posted there as a result of a long stay in the hospital? Though I consider it would be more likely for him to be detached rather than posted.

andymac
14th Jul 2008, 16:48
thanks for all your help on this. I hope to visit Hendon in the v near future and see what I can find out there.
Only memory of the little he told me is he was a rear gunner in heavy bombers, which seems (momentarily) at variance with the record I now have!!
Also he progressed as far as LAC.
One other entry (posting) I can't read clearly is that on his return to UK - after HE (Home establishment) it reads at best guess 1 Sigs Depot.
:confused: